What I appreciate about the Catholic Church

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: What I appreciate about the Catholic Church

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:14 am
Bootstrap wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:16 am
Ken wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:04 pm I appreciate the artistic mastery that one finds in Catholic traditions. Bach's Mass in B minor, for example, is just on a whole different level than what one encounters in most Protestant and Anabaptist music traditions.
I love that mass. Bach was Lutheran, but this is a Catholic mass that he wrote. Interesting story...

https://theimaginativeconservative.org/ ... legan.html
I sang once with a local ensemble that did some really nice pieces from that mass. Incredible music.
We have a quote from a saint that says, "He who sings prays twice." I cannot sing well so I have to pray twice the old fashioned way.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:04 pm I appreciate the artistic mastery that one finds in Catholic traditions. Bach's Mass in B minor, for example, is just on a whole different level than what one encounters in most Protestant and Anabaptist music traditions.
I love that mass. Bach was Lutheran, but this is a Catholic mass that he wrote. Interesting story...

I sang once with a local ensemble that did some really nice pieces from that mass. Incredible music.
I agree. FWIW, here's a good performance of it:

0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

My favorite piece.

3 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:13 am My favorite piece.

A real toe tapper: there and Bach again.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Thanks for the back story. Interesting stuff.

I can't imagine what it must have been like to attend Bach's Lutheran church and have him bring in new original compositions every Sunday, which is what he did according to that article.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

The son of a friend of mine, Beachy Amish, began attending Franciscan University in Ohio last fall, music major. He was warned by the registrar that the music program in particular was "really Catholic." He chose to attend anyway, partly due to it being within commuting distance from his house, and was recently surprised to be awarded the "St. Pope John Paul II Scholarship," covering the entirety of his tuition. :shock:
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:50 am The son of a friend of mine, Beachy Amish, began attending Franciscan University in Ohio last fall, music major. He was warned by the registrar that the music program in particular was "really Catholic." He chose to attend anyway, partly due to it being within commuting distance from his house, and was recently surprised to be awarded the "St. Pope John Paul II Scholarship," covering the entirety of his tuition. :shock:
The young man must be truly gifted. I am pleased he received it to pay for his tuition. Those scholarships are open to non-Catholics as well.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:50 am The son of a friend of mine, Beachy Amish, began attending Franciscan University in Ohio last fall, music major. He was warned by the registrar that the music program in particular was "really Catholic." He chose to attend anyway, partly due to it being within commuting distance from his house, and was recently surprised to be awarded the "St. Pope John Paul II Scholarship," covering the entirety of his tuition. :shock:
That is my mother's alma mater, although she went back when it was more of a "party school" before Fr Scanlan reformed it. Back then, it was known as "Steubie U.". Nowadays it is considered one of the most evangelical (in Catholic terms) and conservative colleges around.

God willing, I will be enjoying visiting with some of the Franciscan faculty at the upcoming New Polity conference in May, where the topic is, "Should We, Therefore, Destroy the Servers?", although New Polity and Franciscan have no formal affiliation.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I've enjoyed singing Lloyd Kauffman's arrangement of selections from Schubert's Deutsche Messe.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:41 pm I've enjoyed singing Lloyd Kauffman's arrangement of selections from Schubert's Deutsche Messe.
Schubert is certainly a favorite of mine though I dare not attempt to sing it: if I did, the pigs might think they are being called home.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)