What I appreciate about the Catholic Church

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

What I appreciate about the Catholic Church

Post by Bootstrap »

This is a thread for people to share what they appreciate about the Catholic Church. There are many things I disagree with in the Catholic Church, but there are also things I think they do particularly well.

I appreciate many prayer traditions in the Catholic Church, especially contemplative traditions. I appreciate the sense of history. I appreciate some very good Christians who I have known in the Catholic Church. I have learned a lot about prayer from Catholics.

Others?
Last edited by Bootstrap on Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
barnhart

Re: What I appreciate about the Catholic Church

Post by barnhart »

I appreciate the scholarship with a long view on humanity. Each time I read First Things I am challenged.
3 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

This isn't completely thought out but I appreciate the way Catholic thinkers read the scriptures. The areas where I disagree tend to be outside the scriptures, the actual textual interpretation is closer to my views than Protestants in general. (I think).
3 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I appreciate their focus on what many of us call 'Communion' or the 'Lord's Supper' and they call the 'Eucharist'. Although they don't agree with some that this is just a memorial service, I think what they do believe and it's frequency of practise is worth noting. I remember in the Baptist church how we would end the service by joining hands and sing a closing hymn together as a reminder of the unity of believers as we go forth to spread the Gospel.
Catholics believe that when one consumes the Eucharist, one is incorporated into Christ and becomes bonded to others who are also part of the body of Christ on Earth. It is not simply a matter of individual belief, but of Church unity and the mission of being Christ in the world.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I appreciate their global focus, and not a hyper involvement and focus on American politics.
And their humanitarian work.
And their teachings on birth control, and the promoting of large families.
3 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I appreciate the artistic mastery that one finds in Catholic traditions. Bach's Mass in B minor, for example, is just on a whole different level than what one encounters in most Protestant and Anabaptist music traditions.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

To reciprocate, I was sitting at Mass this morning and thinking about the sincere questions that come my way on MN. I appreciate those types of questions for the simple reason it keeps me from becoming blasé and insensible to the beauty of the Mass for me. I said prayers for you all too.

Ken, I do not know if you have heard Gregorian chant or plain chant but as you enjoyed Bach, I thought I would share the piece sung by our choir today as we began Passiontide.
[media] [/media]
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:04 pm I appreciate the artistic mastery that one finds in Catholic traditions. Bach's Mass in B minor, for example, is just on a whole different level than what one encounters in most Protestant and Anabaptist music traditions.
I love that mass. Bach was Lutheran, but this is a Catholic mass that he wrote. Interesting story...

https://theimaginativeconservative.org/ ... legan.html
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:21 pm Ken, I do not know if you have heard Gregorian chant or plain chant but as you enjoyed Bach, I thought I would share the piece sung by our choir today as we began Passiontide.
[media] [/media]
I love Gregorian chant, I find it very prayerful. Nice piece.
1 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:16 am
Ken wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:04 pm I appreciate the artistic mastery that one finds in Catholic traditions. Bach's Mass in B minor, for example, is just on a whole different level than what one encounters in most Protestant and Anabaptist music traditions.
I love that mass. Bach was Lutheran, but this is a Catholic mass that he wrote. Interesting story...

https://theimaginativeconservative.org/ ... legan.html
I sang once with a local ensemble that did some really nice pieces from that mass. Incredible music.
2 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3