Questions about Communion / Lord's Supper

General Christian Theology
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Re: Questions about Communion / Lord's Supper

Post by NedFlanders »

JayP wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:40 pm My God, just when I thought JudMac could not possibly lose more credibility he quotes Jack Chick.

I do not understand the confusion of the other posts. Maybe I am missing something.
Catholics are required to attend Mass on Sunday (or the Sat night vigil mass) and holy days of obligation which vary from area to area. That means a day like Christmas or Feast of the Assumption.

You do not have to take Communion at a Mass, indeed you should not if in a state of mortal sin.
You are required to take communion at least once a year.

Those are the facts. Make of them what you will. I get if you are not Catholic you do not believe what they do, Fine.
But folks seem to be debating what are factual items we can be sure about
You do have a good point here. My family, has years ago stopped correcting Mennonites and others on the Catholic church - it is a futile effort - people will believe what they want. The Catholic faith is deeper and more complex than most are willing to go.
Interestingly my Catholic father-in-law sent me the Catholic reading from yesterday. It was deeper than I’ve ever heard from a Protestant on the death and resurrection of Christ and I really think if I changed some of the “Catholic words” most Mennonites wouldn’t ever think it was originally Catholic.
But like JM examples, coming to conclusions about others by what others say about others lets us misunderstand just about everything and keeps us on our high horse.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

JayP wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:40 pm My God, just when I thought JudMac could not possibly lose more credibility he quotes Jack Chick.

I do not understand the confusion of the other posts. Maybe I am missing something.
Catholics are required to attend Mass on Sunday (or the Sat night vigil mass) and holy days of obligation which vary from area to area. That means a day like Christmas or Feast of the Assumption.

You do not have to take Communion at a Mass, indeed you should not if in a state of mortal sin.

Those are the facts. Make of them what you will. I get if you are not Catholic you do not believe what they do, Fine.
What you're saying seems to match what the Vatican site says. I'm not sure where MaxPC is getting his information that both Mass and Communion are required weekly.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps you and MaxPC could debate what actual, official Catholic doctrine & practice is.
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

Max is the last person, ok, make that the se one to last person I want to debate anything with.

Just think, how exactly can Communion be “required” every week? One nice thing about being Catholic is the anonymity. You can go to ANY parish church in the world to meet your Sunday obligation. How do they know the guy in pew 27 is even Catholic? I have never seen them say ….Hey you! Yeah, you in the blue shirt, get up there and take communion.

When I was young the confession lines were long and the communion lines short.
Now, at least at Novus Ordo masses, the confession lines are short and the communion lines long. LOL

THen again I avoid Max’s Novus Ordo masses like the plague.

And why is this a discussion? :D
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

JayP wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:50 pm Max is the last person, ok, make that the se one to last person I want to debate anything with.

Just think, how exactly can Communion be “required” every week? One nice thing about being Catholic is the anonymity. You can go to ANY parish church in the world to meet your Sunday obligation. How do they know the guy in pew 27 is even Catholic? I have never seen them say ….Hey you! Yeah, you in the blue shirt, get up there and take communion.

When I was young the confession lines were long and the communion lines short.
Now, at least at Novus Ordo masses, the confession lines are short and the communion lines long. LOL

THen again I avoid Max’s Novus Ordo masses like the plague.

And why is this a discussion? :D
Why the difference in the confession/communion lines?

What's the difference between the type of mass you go to vs. the Novus Ordo?
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Did you ACTUALLY read what I wrote? I was not quoting Jack Chick, but critiquing some of his points. I was not using Chick as a source, just commenting on the veracity of some of his contentions. On a historical basis, he actually has some good points. The most damming is the continued effort of the Catholic Church to keep the Bible away from the people. There is no excuse for that, nor is there an excuse for persecution and murder of those who translated it, so all might know the truth of God. Nor is there any excuse for using Interdicts and Indults for political purposes. As far as Chick, even a clock that has stopped is right twice a day.

Transubstantiation would be my other major beef. While Chick's "death cookie" verbiage is jarring, all who bow down and worship it, and count on the sacriments to save them is lost. I have seen "adoration of the host" more times than I cared to count, I see it as idolatry. Only faith in Jesus saves. No church, no ritual, no pronouncement from a pope.

As to your version of one's duty, as far as I remember, and I tend to remember well, you are absolutely correct. Not only is being free from a state of mortal sin necessary, but assuming I remember correctly, fasting was required, it ranged between midnight as a child, to 1 hour before service as a teenager. To keep my parents happy, and a roof over my head, I attended until I was 18, and that was 1974. I became a christian on the Tuesday before Easter in 1974. I had "checked out" of the Catholic Church in the late 60s.

Are you attending a Latin version of the Novus Ordo or a Trinidine mass? For those who are not familiar with the terminology, the Trinidine mass it pre Vatican II, and Novus Ordo or New Order, is the post Vatican II mass, in various languages. It is a significantly different rubric. There are a number of significant differences, typically in a Trinadine mass the priest faces the tabernacle, Novus Ordo, faces the people when the conscription is done.

I guess I have asked you before if you are SSPX? The only Trinidine mass I know of in these parts is at the SSPX chapel. What the diocesan bishop has authorized is a Latin version of Novus Ordo, as far as I know. Believe it or not, I have had lots of contact with catholics, the Chaplin at my former place of employment had me on her "list" in case a "Protestant, other" did not want a priest. In my former church I was an elder, and did visits frequently. Had to have two ID badges so the nurses would know which "hat" I was wearing. I found I could work well with Franciscans.
0 x
:hug:
JayP

Post by JayP »

In response to questions from the last two posts (and I would think this is boring to most folks but I have nothing to hide)…

My point about lines is many Catholics were quite concerned if they were worthy to take communion (long confession lines and short communion lines ) where as today many hardly think about sin but want the wine and cookie

I have actually attended Novus Ordo masses in Latin, but I regularly attend Tridentine Mass in Latin.
Have for over 20 years.
I am quite aware of SSPX and know some folks who belong but have never attended an SSPX mass.
I am also familiar with FSSP, know many that attend and have no problem with FSSP.
I am simply very fortunate to have the rare opportunity to attend an actual parish within my Diocese that offers both the Novus Ordo and Tridentine masses. In fact one of our priests for the Latin Mass is the Diocesan Chancellor for the bishop so it’s hardly like this is something we sneak behind the Bishops back.

As an aside I have been at Tridentine weddings, funerals and two of our children received Confirmation under those older rites.

And sorry, if you have even one positive opinion on Jack Chick yes you lose ALL credibility. :D :D
It’s like saying Hilter loved dogs.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

JayP wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:45 pm In response to questions from the last two posts (and I would think this is boring to most folks but I have nothing to hide)…

My point about lines is many Catholics were quite concerned if they were worthy to take communion (long confession lines and short communion lines ) where as today many hardly think about sin but want the wine and cookie

I have actually attended Novus Ordo masses in Latin, but I regularly attend Tridentine Mass in Latin.
Have for over 20 years.
I am quite aware of SSPX and know some folks who belong but have never attended an SSPX mass.
I am also familiar with FSSP, know many that attend and have no problem with FSSP.
I am simply very fortunate to have the rare opportunity to attend an actual parish within my Diocese that offers both the Novus Ordo and Tridentine masses. In fact one of our priests for the Latin Mass is the Diocesan Chancellor for the bishop so it’s hardly like this is something we sneak behind the Bishops back.

As an aside I have been at Tridentine weddings, funerals and two of our children received Confirmation under those older rites.

And sorry, if you have even one positive opinion on Jack Chick yes you lose ALL credibility. :D :D
It’s like saying Hilter loved dogs.
OK now I am maybe getting a little bit of an idea what it feels like to some people when we talk about OO Amish, PMC, MCC, MDS, CAM, MCUSA, BMA, KMF, MB, NMB, and so forth.
0 x
JayP

Post by JayP »

LOL.

SSPX - Society of St. Pius X. The Catholic break away group originally lead by Archbishop Lefebvre which did not accept adoption of the Novus Ordo mass and would only accept the Latin Tridentine Mass. eventually somewhat reunited (officially) but again increasing distant from Pope Francis (who hates them and the feeling is returned),

FSSP - Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter. A society founded and still remaining within the RCC dedicated t9 only using the Tridentine Mass. was really created as a response to the SSPX movement.

Not that many of you will care but Apostolic view of Novus Ordo versus Tridentine ebbs and flows. There is often significant “political” associations with the different movements. For example FFSP priests while dedicated to the Tridentine Mass must make a statement they do NOT reject the validity of the Novus Ordo nor do they reject any teachings from Vatican II. Pope Benedict gave more leeway including issuing a Moto Propio that any Priest could say the Latin Mass, the Francis tightened that up. Francis would consider those who attend Latin Mass to be his enemies (and he is right! LOL)
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

JayP wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:32 pm LOL.

SSPX - Society of St. Pius X. The Catholic break away group originally lead by Archbishop Lefebvre which did not accept adoption of the Novus Ordo mass and would only accept the Latin Tridentine Mass. eventually somewhat reunited (officially) but again increasing distant from Pope Francis (who hates them and the feeling is returned),

FSSP - Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter. A society founded and still remaining within the RCC dedicated t9 only using the Tridentine Mass. was really created as a response to the SSPX movement.

Not that many of you will care but Apostolic view of Novus Ordo versus Tridentine ebbs and flows. There is often significant “political” associations with the different movements. For example FFSP priests while dedicated to the Tridentine Mass must make a statement they do NOT reject the validity of the Novus Ordo nor do they reject any teachings from Vatican II. Pope Benedict gave more leeway including issuing a Moto Propio that any Priest could say the Latin Mass, the Francis tightened that up. Francis would consider those who attend Latin Mass to be his enemies (and he is right! LOL)
What does LOL mean? :lol:

Thanks for the education. This is actually interesting to me.
0 x