Meanwhile, in Kentucky

General Christian Theology
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Meanwhile, in Kentucky

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:Not a typical public school graduation speech.
There's a timely message in there, one, i think, that must have special meaning for Christians:

JOHN ROBERTS:
From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice. I hope that you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty. Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time so that you don't take friends for granted. I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
I quite like that. And I suspect all of us would do well to expect a little flack from others from time to time.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:
Josh wrote:
Joy wrote:Josh, I trust you are not suggesting I have brushed off the issue of slavery in American history. A few years ago I personally apologized to a black Sunday School class for the issue of American slavery. I have spent a large portion of my life ministering to the descendants of slaves, as my parents did, even to the point of death threats to our face.
It's not something I need to personally apologise for; however, it is something that should refute any idea that America is a "Christian" nation founded on "Christian" principles. The Constitution is not the kingdom of heaven but is in fact the opposite of it.

o. ok. now i see what you're aiming at. not in this thread, please.
that's a bunny trail, please go there, or, start a new thread on people you hate.

no one here fits your description, it's offensive to read such accusations. please stop it.
I think this fits Josh's description:
In a recent interview, state Rep. D.J. Johnson, the architect of the bill, gives us a better sense of what HB 128 means when he said: “(The Bible) really did set the foundation that our Founding Fathers used to develop documents like the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights. … All those came from principles in the Bible.”
And worse:
And then there is Dan Johnson. In addition to representing Kentucky’s House District 49 he is a bishop in the Heart of Fire Church in southeast Louisville. In his 2016 campaign he came under fire for defending Southern secession and “white pride.” He also posted a picture on Facebook of Barack Obama as an ape.

When confronted about the picture Johnson said, “It wasn’t meant to be racist. I can tell you that. My history’s good there. I can see how people would be offended in that. I wasn’t trying to offend anybody, but I think Facebook’s entertaining.”
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Yikes:
In this episode of We The People, Ben talks to Bishop Dan Johnson, who heads Heart of Fire, a God loving, gun loving, patriotic place of worship, in Louisville, Kentucky. Heart of Fire has been described as having the spirit of Rock 'n' Roll instead of the stiff religious type setting. The focus is on people and spirit, which you can tell when you look out at the pews during worship and see that everybody is armed.
You can see the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg0k2O5re18. These values are the exact opposite of Mennonite and Anabaptist values - and I believe they are the opposite of Christian values. They are part and parcel the exact same thing as liberal churches who have ministers who are homosexuals in same-sex "marriages".
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:Yikes:
In this episode of We The People, Ben talks to Bishop Dan Johnson, who heads Heart of Fire, a God loving, gun loving, patriotic place of worship, in Louisville, Kentucky. Heart of Fire has been described as having the spirit of Rock 'n' Roll instead of the stiff religious type setting. The focus is on people and spirit, which you can tell when you look out at the pews during worship and see that everybody is armed.
These are exactly the people that likely will be coming for us when the next big war starts and we refuse to serve and buy our quota of war bonds. Think Hutterites in the early days of WWI. Canadians, please save a spare bedroom!.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would expect Canada to be as enthusiastic about the next big war as America; its kind of silly to confuse Canada with some pacifist entity.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:I would expect Canada to be as enthusiastic about the next big war as America; its kind of silly to confuse Canada with some pacifist entity.
I don't know, but it worked for us last time.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: