Epistle of Barnabas

General Christian Theology
Lex
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: You MUST read this!

Post by Lex »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:13 pm
Lex wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:42 pm And the Barnabas Epistle is not an apocryphe.
In this context, the word "Apocrypha" means quite literally "biblical or related writings that are not part of the accepted canon of Scripture".

Some books are accepted by some churches but not others. Barnabas is not included in any church's canon of Scripture.
Did I ever claim that the Barnabas Epistle is canon? No. It is just an epistle of a Christian from the first or second century.
And the Barnabas Epistle isn't an apocryphe. Would you call the writings of Justin Martyr apocryphe?
Again, the Barnabas Epistle is not canon, it is just an epistle of a Christian who lived in the first or second century.
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Lex wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:30 pm
Lex wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:42 pm And the Barnabas Epistle is not an apocryphe.
In this context, the word "Apocrypha" means quite literally "biblical or related writings that are not part of the accepted canon of Scripture".

Some books are accepted by some churches but not others. Barnabas is not included in any church's canon of Scripture.
Did I ever claim that the Barnabas Epistle is canon? No. It is just an epistle of a Christian from the first or second century.
And the Barnabas Epistle isn't an apocryphe. Would you call the writings of Justin Martyr apocryphe?
Again, the Barnabas Epistle is not canon, it is just an epistle of a Christian who lived in the first or second century.
I gave you the definition of Apocrypha.

Perhaps we can use the term "early Christian writings" to describe both Barnabas and Justin Martyr? And can we agree that they do not carry the authority of Scripture?

How is that different from the Apocrypha?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Lex
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Lex »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:33 pm
Lex wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:30 pm

I gave you the definition of Apocrypha.

Perhaps we can use the term "early Christian writings" to describe both Barnabas and Justin Martyr? And can we agree that they do not carry the authority of Scripture?

How is that different from the Apocrypha?
I would call a book apocryphe if it claims to be written by a biblical person but isn't part of the Bible canon. The Barnabas Epistle doesnt contain the name of the author although some church fathers claimed it was written by Barnabas. Since the book itself doesnt name an author, nor does it claim to be part of the Bible canon, it can't be considered as apocryphe. It is just a Christian writing.
0 x