Lent and Ash Wednesday

General Christian Theology
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Lent and Ash Wednesday

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

JayP wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:56 pm I always was particularly annoyed by one Mennonite family that did Roofing and would particularly schedule a very visible location to do work on Good Friday to prove their point of view on not observing holidays.

I do not presume to have the perfect answer on the subject but I am pretty sure Jesus is not an advocate for using your view of holidays (observe vs. not observe) as a hammer to hit someone else on the head.
How are they impacting you? I worked every Good Friday for most of my 40 year career. If you buy gas, go to the hospital, or buy food, than you are working.

Should traffic be banned in Jewish neighborhoods on Saturday?
0 x
:hug:
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

I was clear I hve no objection to those that view Good Friday as a normal day, and those that view it as a holiday.
Did you hve trouble with those simple words or does your virulent anti Catholicism blind you completely.

I objected to their choice of how to use the day to “shove it in the face” of the other point of view
Last edited by ohio jones on Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: obstreperous language removed
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:38 pm I was clear I hve no objection to those that view Good Friday as a normal day, and those that view it as a holiday.
Did you hve trouble with those simple words or does your virulent anti Catholicism blind you completely.

I objected to their choice of how to use the day to “shove it in the face” of the other point of view
How often did they manage to find work specifically to hit you over the head with? How do you know it wasn’t coincidental?
I know that if they did that on purpose that is unchristian and not loving to a weaker brother (no offense intended by that)
Last edited by ohio jones on Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit quoted post
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
JayP

Post by JayP »

I would say I can be confident it was on purpose because they said so. And then did it.

I tried to raise the issue once in a council meeting, simply on the grounds it was intended to be divisive.
But converts are effectively ignored in council meetings in Eastern
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:45 pm I would say I can be confident it was on purpose because they said so. And then did it.

I tried to raise the issue once in a council meeting, simply on the grounds it was intended to be divisive.
But converts are effectively ignored in council meetings in Eastern
If they said it, I would say I have no reason to doubt you.
I do though think that you should have taken another with you to address them and then taken it to the church before council meeting.
0 x
JayP

Post by JayP »

Yes, I did follow the process. The funny part is I am totally fine with all the pov on Good Friday. I do not hold that my view is exclusively correct. Even if your view IS correct, rubbing things in someone’s face is never Christian nor effective.

In retrospect it is clear that Eastern has rules, then there are rules. LOL
Not to mention the unwritten rules. Easier to laugh than cry.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:52 pm Yes, I did follow the process. The funny part is I am totally fine with all the pov on Good Friday. I do not hold that my view is exclusively correct. Even if your view IS correct, rubbing things in someone’s face is never Christian nor effective.

In retrospect it is clear that Eastern has rules, then there are rules. LOL
Not to mention the unwritten rules. Easier to laugh than cry.
Yeah, I can agree with you and sympathize… I’ve had my issues with unwritten rules, unequal treatment.
Rules and rules indeed.
We would never survive Eastern although we have good friends that are in Eastern.

It’s clear though that if you follow the process and you are rejected, either “submit” or find a different church. You did although I suspect this was the icing on the cake.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

JayP wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:56 pm I always was particularly annoyed by one Mennonite family that did Roofing and would particularly schedule a very visible location to do work on Good Friday to prove their point of view on not observing holidays.

I do not presume to have the perfect answer on the subject but I am pretty sure Jesus is not an advocate for using your view of holidays (observe vs. not observe) as a hammer to hit someone else on the head.
When one of our former Amish friends moved to a community in Maine, they seemed to boast about working on Christmas Day & said "Happy Pagan Holiday" and so of course they were influenced since he left, became Mennonite ( to which caused "the Bann) and married, he has returned to celebrating Christmas plus "Old Christmas" and all Amish businesses are closed those days, at least in Holmes County, but I am familiar with that pride of being known to not celebrate Holy days (holidays). Jehovah witness abstain too but don't seem to rub it in.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:03 pm

When one of our former Amish friends moved to a community in Maine, they seemed to boast about working on Christmas Day & said "Happy Pagan Holiday" and so of course they were influenced since he left, became Mennonite ( to which caused "the Bann) and married, he has returned to celebrating Christmas plus "Old Christmas" and all Amish businesses are closed those days, at least in Holmes County, but I am familiar with that pride of being known to not celebrate Holy days (holidays). Jehovah witness abstain too but don't seem to rub it in.
Valerie you make a good point and it spurred me to one of my old man thoughts. "Rubbing it in" vs the humility to respect other's choices as God grants us our free will choices. I am not seeing much humility lately: goading, baiting, twisting of the knife more like.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

JayP wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:38 pm I was clear I hve no objection to those that view Good Friday as a normal day, and those that view it as a holiday.

It is always good to be respectful of others. Are you aware the scripture forbids judging other believers on how they observe holy days.
1 x