Lent and Ash Wednesday

General Christian Theology
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Lent and Ash Wednesday

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:56 am Ok, they did roofing. They openly talked about how they would coordinate their job schedule where possible to find the most publicly viewed job site (I.e. near a major highway or such) to demonstrate they were working on Good Friday. And deliberately would take lunch around 11 because they did not want their break between Noon and Three lest folks interpret they were at least stopping foe those core hours. If you are unaware many Catholics for example might not take the full day but believe the hours Christ was on the cross (obviously a traditional view) deserve quiet time of reflection or inactivity.

They would make such statements for example, after services. My point again is this is uncalled for.
I found Ascension Thursday to be in the same situation. If you do not want it as a holiday, fine.
But telling the former Old Order person,or former Catholic, who view this as a holiday “I can’t wait to get to work that day” (note, this did not happen, it’s a hypothetical) is not a Christian and certainly not a non resistant way to be.
Okay so… no one threw it verbally in your face?
That effectively changes the scenario. It sounds like they made a point of working on it lest someone mistake them for honoring the day. You objected to that and tried to get them to change their practice.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

It sounds silly to me to go to such great lengths but it also sounds silly to get offended by it, particularly when we are surrounded by people working on Sundays.
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

I am truly shocked.

You do not consider their verbal admission they wished to shock and challenge their neighbors by working on Good Friday as wrong?
So, you agree that putting up signs such as “baby killer” at an abortion clinic is a good move? Sheesh
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Were their neighbors Amish/Old Order Mennonite folks? Did these people come from OO background with this being their way of "proving" to their old associates how thoroughly they had been cleansed of their religious bondage?

Not that it would be an excuse if that was the case. I think that such actions are uncalled for and not a good representation of how Christians should live.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:01 pm I am truly shocked.

You do not consider their verbal admission they wished to shock and challenge their neighbors by working on Good Friday as wrong?
So, you agree that putting up signs such as “baby killer” at an abortion clinic is a good move? Sheesh
I may personally disagree with the practice but I don’t see it necessarily to speak to the church over. If they rejected my thoughts, I’d leave it alone.

It would be completely different if they were specifically doing it to offend you.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

As for ostentatively working in order to pique your neighbours:
Here in the Rhineland, for historical political reasons there often was a strictly Catholic village and a strictly Protestant village next to it. And it was often told that the Protestant farmers ostentatively worked in the fields at Corpus Christi (which was the most popular Catholic holiday) and the Catholic farmers at Good Friday (which is often seen the most important day with Protestants).
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Is it wrong for me to shock and challenge my neighbors by not flying an American flag?

This is a pluralistic nation. If you get offended by someone not following your rules, you are easily offended, and should perhaps reconsider your position. If I were not work on a day when it would not potentially offend any of my neighbors, I wouldn’t be doing much work. It is frequently not a holiday, except for school down here, so just about everyone is working. Now if I wanted to offend my catholic neighbors, I would grill hamburgers, but they would likely be hanging near the fence, and I would invite them over, and likely they would join me. Believe me, not all Catholics are as observant as you, I know from my extended family.

Do you know what scrupulously is?
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

PetrChelcicky wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:29 pm As for ostentatively working in order to pique your neighbours:
Here in the Rhineland, for historical political reasons there often was a strictly Catholic village and a strictly Protestant village next to it. And it was often told that the Protestant farmers ostentatively worked in the fields at Corpus Christi (which was the most popular Catholic holiday) and the Catholic farmers at Good Friday (which is often seen the most important day with Protestants).
If I recall, it used to be illegal to do any yard work on Sunday in the former West Germany.
0 x
:hug: