Lent and Ash Wednesday

General Christian Theology
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Lent and Ash Wednesday

Post by Soloist »

barnhart wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:28 pm
JayP wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:38 pm I was clear I hve no objection to those that view Good Friday as a normal day, and those that view it as a holiday.
Did you hve trouble with those simple words or does your virulent anti Catholicism blind you completely.

I objected to their choice of how to use the day to “shove it in the face” of the other point of view
It is always good to be respectful of others. Are you aware the scripture forbids judging other believers on how they observe holy days.
I think that’s his point entirely.

Paul speaks about the weaker brother as well…
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:29 pm
barnhart wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:28 pm
JayP wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:38 pm I was clear I hve no objection to those that view Good Friday as a normal day, and those that view it as a holiday.
Did you hve trouble with those simple words or does your virulent anti Catholicism blind you completely.

I objected to their choice of how to use the day to “shove it in the face” of the other point of view
It is always good to be respectful of others. Are you aware the scripture forbids judging other believers on how they observe holy days.
I think that’s his point entirely.

Paul speaks about the weaker brother as well…
True, but there is a point where “weaker brother “ as a means of requiring others to bend to your ideas of how things ought be done. There are weaker brothers and professional weaker brothers. I have seen both. Only the fellowship can discern which is which.

Hebrews 6:1 ESV - Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
0 x
:hug:
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:44 pm True, but there is a point where “weaker brother “ as a means of requiring others to bend to your ideas of how things ought be done. There are weaker brothers and professional weaker brothers. I have seen both. Only the fellowship can discern which is which.

Hebrews 6:1 ESV - Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
If what he says is true, which obviously we don’t know the other side, but it sounds like the person basically told him it was targeted.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Not sure what kind of world y’all live in, but I’ve always seen virtually every business around me open and people working on Good Friday.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:01 pm Not sure what kind of world y’all live in, but I’ve always seen virtually every business around me open and people working on Good Friday.
I’ve worked every one I can remember, but if I was told by a brother that this brother honored the day and did not work, I would certainly not make a point of telling him I was working then.
Likewise, if there was a recovering alcoholic, I would certainly not tell him if I drank or what I drank.

Now if either of these brothers were going around and making a point to condemn someone who did drink or did work on Good Friday, they would be just as much in the wrong as this person making a point of telling Jay or someone telling an alcoholic what they drank.

I know Mennonites have a phobia against letting a weaker brother “rule” them but in the pursuit of your meat, are you going to hurt your brother?
1 x
Judas Maccabeus

Soloist wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:55 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:44 pm True, but there is a point where “weaker brother “ as a means of requiring others to bend to your ideas of how things ought be done. There are weaker brothers and professional weaker brothers. I have seen both. Only the fellowship can discern which is which.

If what he says is true, which obviously we don’t know the other side, but it sounds like the person basically told him it was targeted.
Like they suddenly found a roofing job just in the vicinity of his home that they could do on Good Friday? Really? And they bent their schedule just so they could offend him? I do not buy it.

Sooner or later, probably sooner, a member of a church must know that he cannot force his preference on a body where there are an agreed set of standards. If you are a member of a community, sometimes you need put your preference aside.

Believe what you like, but my suspicion is he wanted the church to bend to his will. If you cannot accept the churches values and standards, you simply should not join. When I was on the cusp of joining my current church, a brother that frequents this board exhorted me not to suggest any changes until I had been a member for at least 5 years, otherwise I likely would be rebuffed because I simply would not be thought to understand the why of the standards in place. I feel that was good advice.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:40 pm
Like they suddenly found a roofing job just in the vicinity of his home that they could do on Good Friday? Really? And they bent their schedule just so they could offend him? I do not buy it.
As I pointed out, I only have one side. I see no reason to say he’s lying.
Sooner or later, probably sooner, a member of a church must know that he cannot force his preference on a body where there are an agreed set of standards. If you are a member of a community, sometimes you need put your preference aside.

Believe what you like, but my suspicion is he wanted the church to bend to his will. If you cannot accept the churches values and standards, you simply should not join. When I was on the cusp of joining my current church, a brother that frequents this board exhorted me not to suggest any changes until I had been a member for at least 5 years, otherwise I likely would be rebuffed because I simply would not be thought to understand the why of the standards in place. I feel that was good advice.
He hasn’t said he’s trying to change anything and he obviously left and went back to the Catholics.
If it was because he was trying to change things then he probably made up his mind that was going to go nowhere.
But if it was something along like what he said, then I would say the church was in the wrong.
I basically exactly spelled out what I thought of the situation which nothing you just wrote here with the exception of suggesting he’s lying disagrees with what I said, does it?
If you don’t seek to protect the weaker brother from his faults and insist it’s his job to fix himself, then the Mennonites have no business telling people not to drink. Or to follow any other standards for that matter.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Years ago (late 70's, very early 80's) I worked in a union shop. (I only worked there summers, while out of Bible college, until I finished. Then I worked there until the Union forced the boss to get rid of me. That was before any 'right to work' laws.) Anyway, the union bargained for one more day paid holiday per year, and the boss let the workers choose the day. They choose Good Friday. Not for religious reasons, but because it was more spaced out in the year. As I recall, the option was for another day off around Christmas. So for the remaining time I worked there, I always had that day off.

Growing up MB, we didn't treat Christian holidays like a Sunday. Christmas day we usually were out in the shop, working on our old cars (restoration projects). One of the first Christmases in Brazil, after getting our own house, I headed off to the carpenter shop to do some project or another. My wife (who grew up in an Amish home), was appalled. I had no idea anyone had that sort of ideas about such things, but I didn't do it anymore. The thing is, a woman could do cross-stitch or something 'quiet' like that, but a man couldn't run a saw, even if it was also just a hobby.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Judas Maccabeus

Soloist wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:07 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:40 pm
As I pointed out, I only have one side. I see no reason to say he’s lying.

He hasn’t said he’s trying to change anything and he obviously left and went back to the Catholics.
If it was because he was trying to change things then he probably made up his mind that was going to go nowhere.
But if it was something along like what he said, then I would say the church was in the wrong.
I basically exactly spelled out what I thought of the situation which nothing you just wrote here with the exception of suggesting he’s lying disagrees with what I said, does it?
If you don’t seek to protect the weaker brother from his faults and insist it’s his job to fix himself, then the Mennonites have no business telling people not to drink. Or to follow any other standards for that matter.
Working on that day was consistent with the standards that presumably all had agreed to. Including him.

He did not like it, it offended his sensibilities, tried to get it changed, but the body did not see any value in changing their standards to accommodate him. If you are going to be a member of a Mennonite church, sometimes you must lay aside your personal preferences and submit to the consensus of the congregation.

We had a seeker that was looking for a far more “Catholic “ type service than we would feel comfortable with. We did try to make the space look less like the school it is. But you can only go so far without changing what you fundamentally are. Do you force the entire church to accept a “smells and bells” service that surely would be alien to their sensibilities, or tell this person “no, this is what we are, you are welcome to join us, but this is what we are”?

Do you force the entire congregation to adopt rules that do not resonate with their understanding of the Scriptures, or do you say, “no, this is how we as a community have decided to handle this issue.” I will tell you, if you altered things for every seeker’s sensibility, the congregation would get dizzy.

Frankly, the idea of a company scheduling jobs just to tweak his nose simply does not pass the plausibility test. I grew up in the furniture reupholstey business. It is hard enough to run a business, to say that someone scheduled work just so he could see it does not fit with what it takes to run a businesses. Now if the guy said sarcastically “we did it just for you” after he complained, yes, that brother needs to check his attitude. But if this guy is perceived as wanting his Eastern church to follow Catholic rules, that is a non starter.

I would be even more against it if I perceived it as introducing the relics of Papism. It is an evil system, period.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:01 pm Not sure what kind of world y’all live in, but I’ve always seen virtually every business around me open and people working on Good Friday.
Not sure where you live now- I just know in Holmes County, Christmas, Ascension Day, and Old Christmas (Jan 6) Amish businesses are closed in observance, as these are Holy Days to them. Not sure about Good Friday though- but if it is not, why would the others be observed and not Good Friday? I think it is an awesome witness of the Church to observe the day. When I was young & working, Good Friday services were in the daytime & secular businesses allowed you to take half day off to go to services. These days, Good Friday Services are at night so more can attend.
0 x