RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Is indulgence and decadence immoral?

Post by RZehr »

Considering all the needs around us?
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Is indulgence and decadence immoral?

Post by Valerie »

Not sure if immoral is best word but it does seem sinful to let our passions win over. That is one purpose of fasting. Certainly Jesus set our example of denying self Many scriptures speak against living in indulgence and decadence.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I struggle with this…

Where is the line between eating hotdog buns for your food and having desert at every meal?
Just water for any fluids and having coffee for everything?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Jesus left an example of both feasting and fasting. If we can't do both, something is probably amiss.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Decadence and carnality are sins in their own right. I see no need for extra food around me - everyone is VERY well fed. But decadence and overconsumption are still bad.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

How are you defining indulgence and decadence? I suspect manybof us live rather modest lives. I'm not about to purchase a gold plated toilet.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Szdfan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:09 pm How are you defining indulgence and decadence? I suspect manybof us live rather modest lives?
And that is the biggest problem. Relativism.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Soloist wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:10 pm
Szdfan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:09 pm How are you defining indulgence and decadence? I suspect manybof us live rather modest lives?
I'd frame it that wealth and poverty are contextual. Many of the poor in the US are wealthy compared to the poor in other countries, but in our context, they are still poor and still struggle.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Soloist wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:10 pm
Is it best to walk through live with our head turned to the right, looking at the people with golden lavatories?
Is best to walk through life with our head turned to the left, looking at the people with no lavatories?

How will these two different focuses and comparisons effect how we live?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

barnhart wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:44 am Jesus left an example of both feasting and fasting. If we can't do both, something is probably amiss.
I would agree with this view. There is a time to feast and a time to fast.

Jesus was rebuked by His discples for allowing a woman to pour perfume on Him and His response was that she did a good thing. This perfume was worth more than a year's wages. So, is it immoral, for example, to have a beautiful church building and facilities as an expression of our love for God ?

And that is why Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit - to guide us in the way that we should go. I believe the scriptures tell us that every believer will be accountable as individuals for how we have followed the Spirit's guidance. Not how your church decided to go, nor as some other individual decides. But I don't see a problem with sharing how we believe He is guiding us as He may use us as a means to convict another.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit