Mordecai and Esther were evil

General Christian Theology
Lex
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Mordecai and Esther were evil

Post by Lex »

I believe that in the story of Esther, the real bad guys were Mordecai and Esther. There are four reasons why I have come to this conclusion.

Reason 1:
God does not appear once in the book. In fact, the book of Esther is the only book of the 66 books of the Bible where God does not appear. And before anyone claims that God is not mentioned in the Song of Songs: This claim is false. God is mentioned in Song of Songs 8:6. So why is the book of Esther the only book where God is not mentioned? I say because God was not with Mordecai and Esther.

Reason 2:
Mordecai and Esther are called by their pagan names throughout the book of Esther. The name Mordecai means "servant of Marduk" and the name Esther is a derivation of the name Ishtar. Marduk and Ishtar are both pagan gods. So why does the book of Esther call them by their pagan names throughout the book if they also had Jewish names (Est 2:7)? I say because they were not worshippers of God, but idolaters. The prophet Daniel, for example, had also a Jewish name and a pagan name, but throughout the book of Daniel Daniel is called by his Jewish name. Why? Because Daniel was a worshipper of God, not an idolater.

Reason 3:
Who started the dispute, Mordecai or Haman? According to the book of Esther, it was Mordecai who started the dispute by disobeying the king's command to bow down to Haman (Est 3:2-3). And no, bowing down to someone out of respect would not have been idolatry. We often see in the Old Testament how Jewish people bowed down to other people out of respect. So why didn't Mordechai bow down? Possibly because he was arrogant.

Reason 4:
It seems clear that the characters in the Book of Esther have references to the Passion of Jesus. Mordecai represents the devil, Esther represents Judas, the Persian king represents Pilate and Haman represents Jesus.

Let me explain:

Mordecai goes to Esther and persuades her to betray Haman (Est 4:13-16).
In the same way, the devil persuaded Judas to betray Jesus (John 13:2).

Esther and Haman eat bread and drink wine together while Esther has decided to betray Haman (Est 7:1-2).
Judas and Jesus eat bread and drink wine together while Judas has decided to betray Jesus (John 13:26).

Esther tells the gentile Persian king to crucify Haman (yes, Haman was crucified) (Esther 7:9).
Judas, the Jewish people, tells the gentile governor Pilate to crucify Jesus (John 19:16).

Esther told the Persian king to kill Haman's sons (Est 9:13).
Judas, the Jewish people, told the Roman king to kill Jesus' apostles (Acts 1:1-3).

If anyone thinks my conclusion is wrong, please feel free to try to refute me.

A quote from Martin Luther's book "On the Jews and their Lies": "On how they love the book of Esther, which so nicely agrees with their bloodthirsty, revengeful and murderous desire and hope. The sun never did shine on a more bloodthirsty and revengeful people as they, who imagine to be the people of God, and who desire to and think they must murder and crush the heathen. And the foremost undertaking which they expect of their Messiah is that he should slay and murder the whole world with the sword."
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: Mordecai and Esther were evil

Post by HondurasKeiser »

I think you'll find that Mr. Luther and his writings don't have purchase around here.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Or Mr. Lex… Luther’s
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Soloist wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:04 pm Or Mr. Lex… Luther’s
How do you know that "Lex" is a "Mr."
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

So your religion basically consists of taking Scripture out of context to hate on Jews? Is that all there is to it? Do you have no fear that your own actions are evil?

Any interest in reading Scripture to see what it has to say to you and me for how we live our lives? Any interest in reading passages and books and following what they have to teach us?
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Grace wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:19 pm
Hey it was my wife’s suggestion not mine :lol:
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Grace wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:19 pm
Very clever "Superman" reference. :lol:
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Well. That’s a new take, for sure.
0 x
Lex
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Lex »

Lex wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:37 am Esther told the Persian king to kill Haman's sons (Est 9:13).
Judas, the Jewish people, told the Roman king to kill Jesus' apostles (Acts 1:1-3).
Sorry, it is Acts 12:1-3, not Acts 1.
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Lex wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:37 am I believe that in the story of Esther, the real bad guys were Mordecai and Esther.
Seriously???
2 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme