Why Some Churches Practice Infant Baptism and others do not.

General Christian Theology
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Poll: Modes of Baptism

Post by Soloist »

QuietlyListening wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:44 am #7 but if someone comes from another church and has been baptized as a believer- mode shouldn't matter.
With one notable exception I would agree. Infant baptism is not baptism.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

But I said- if they were baptized as a believer. Infant baptism is not being baptized as a believer.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

QuietlyListening wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:55 am
But I said- if they were baptized as a believer. Infant baptism is not being baptized as a believer.
Others such as Catholics would argue they were. I assumed you agreed but given the Catholic population we seem to have, I see value in clarifying it.
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

While some of you are rejecting infant baptism did you know most Orthodox churches not only baptize infants they will administer the sacraments of confirmation and communion to them as well?

We sometimes joke about wondering when they can slip in ordination as well.

Of course, it is also comical (ok, not comical but a form of black humor maybe) how since the Catholic Church has seven sacraments the Anabaptists needed to make sure they have seven ordinances. Seriously, I am ok with the point of view about the Christian woman’s veiling but considering it in the same category as say baptism or communion is Poorly thought out.

Finally, too few Anabaptists recognize those areas in which fundamentalist Protestantism has taken hold.
I question that Anabaptists in 1830 we’re holding revival meetings for 13 years old to “respond” and be baptized.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JayP wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:51 pm While some of you are rejecting infant baptism did you know most Orthodox churches not only baptize infants they will administer the sacraments of confirmation and communion to them as well?

We sometimes joke about wondering when they can slip in ordination as well.
I had heard that but don’t know too many details about it.
Of course, it is also comical (ok, not comical but a form of black humor maybe) how since the Catholic Church has seven sacraments the Anabaptists needed to make sure they have seven ordinances. Seriously, I am ok with the point of view about the Christian woman’s veiling but considering it in the same category as say baptism or communion is Poorly thought out.
Most plain people (OO Amish, etc.) never accepted Daniel Kaufman’s book and I’d have to say I am not very inspired by it either. Despite the fact it doesn’t line up with my church’s doctrines, it is still on many of our bookshelves.
Finally, too few Anabaptists recognize those areas in which fundamentalist Protestantism has taken hold.
I question that Anabaptists in 1830 we’re holding revival meetings for 13 years old to “respond” and be baptized.
I feel fundamentalism was a toxic influence on Mennonitism and Anabaptists as a whole. Most Anabaptists mercifully stayed free of it, but the spectre looms large even in OO circles.

And from what I hear, it is even influencing Catholics these days - and via the same avenues: fundamentalist evangelicalism dominates religious books and other cultural products (think movies like Chosen or Kendrick Brothers stuff). So the influence creeps in.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

JayP wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:51 pm While some of you are rejecting infant baptism did you know most Orthodox churches not only baptize infants they will administer the sacraments of confirmation and communion to them as well?
I have been to one Orthodox baptism and it was an infant. Fully submerged 3x in the name of the Father, Son, & Hy Spirit. It was quite a Holy experience for the baby who then was also anointed with oil and prayed over to receive the Holy Spirit (Chrismation).
Due to the fact I have read early Church writers claim that the Apostles taught to baptize infants I refuse to be dogmatic against it. Literally everywhere the Apostles started Churches, it's been a practice, east & western Christianity, to baptize the infants of Christian parents. That child now is a member of the Church. However, they of course will do Believers baptisms when someone converts to Christianity as a youth or adult. If you become Orthot, they will accept a former baptism as long as it had been in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. They will then do the announcing of oil and prayer to receive the Holy Spirit.

When the Didache was discovered, it revealed the early church method of immersion but it made allowance for poring when full immersion wasn't possible. It still had to be in the name of the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit.

I honestly don't get the Scriptural support for pouring and Scripture and early Church writings & traditions indicate immersion but allowed for exceptions. There were Protestant denominations that continued to baptize infants even though they left Catholicism.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:49 pm
I have been to one Orthodox baptism and it was an infant. Fully submerged 3x in the name of the Father, Son, & Hy Spirit. It was quite a Holy experience for the baby who then was also anointed with oil and prayed over to receive the Holy Spirit (Chrismation).
Yea, I imagine the baby hollered like a good old-fashioned Pentecostal.... ;)

Seriously though, how would you have any idea whether the baby found it to be a holy experience, or simply a traumatizing experience?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:36 am
Valerie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:49 pm
Yea, I imagine the baby hollered like a good old-fashioned Pentecostal.... ;)

Seriously though, how would you have any idea whether the baby found it to be a holy experience, or simply a traumatizing experience?
You would have been amazed. At least in this case we witnessed, the baby didn’t cry at all!
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

It’s terribly interesting how we keep debating the validity of infant baptism on a forum for “Anabaptists”

I think I and every single Anabaptist on here stands with the notion that it’s just getting the baby wet.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:36 am
Josh wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:24 amErrrr… Peter.
I would follow Jesus on this. He said to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit. Jesus is infallible.

I met a Ineness Pentecostal pastor in Holmes County. I do not agree with their interpretations and believe they are in error in their teachings about what we discussed. He wasn’t familiar with early Church writings or the Didache etc. All denominations I’ve been a part of for decades would also see them in error. Like Mormons, they are great people.
“ And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Notice what is said here:

#1. Repent. (A baby cannot repent.)

#2. Be baptised in the name of Jesus. (Therefore, it is biblical to baptism in the name of Jesus.)

#3. The believer now has assurance of the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Matthew is similar:

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”

#1. First, people must be taught. (A baby cannot be taught.)

#2. Then they are baptised in the names of the trinity. (Thus it is also biblical to baptise in the name of Jesus.)

#3. Then, the new believer must follow all the things Jesus commanded the disciples.

I see both these passages as complimentary.

I disagree with the Catholic, Orthodox, and Church of Christ position that someone baptised in the name of Jesus does not receive salvation.

I disagree with the Oneness Apostolic Pentecostal position that someone baptised in the name of the trinity does not receive salvation.

Salvation comes from belief in Jesus and then following the Spirit who guides the new believer into doing all that Jesus commanded. Not from a particular religious ritual or formula.

Babies are innocent and don’t need to be “saved” from anything.
0 x