Poll: Faith Traditions that Profess Christianity

General Christian Theology

Choose the one that most nearly describes you...

1. Catholic (Holy See of Rome)
3%
2. Catholic (but not aligned with the Holy See)
No votes
3. Eastern Orthodox / Orthodox Catholic Church
3%
4. Orthodox (but not aligned with the Eastern Orthodox church)
No votes
5. Protestant (Mainline)
No votes
6. Protestant (Evangelical)
No votes
7. Anabaptist (Progressive)
No votes
8. Anabaptist (Mainline)
No votes
9. Anabaptist (non-Plain, Theological Conservative)
37%
10. Anabaptist (Plain Conservative)
40%
11. Anabaptist (Old Order)
No votes
12. I do not identify as an Anabaptist but rather as a kingdom Christian (as defined by David Bercot)
7%
13. Other type of Christian (not described above)
10%
14. Not Christian
No votes

Total votes: 30

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Poll: Faith Traditions that Profess Christianity

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:52 pmI assume non-plain conservative means evangelical but not wearing skirts, head coverings, or holding to nonresistance.
Conservative as in being against abortion, women preachers, homosexuality, and other things that conservative Evangelicals care about. And yes, the ladies typically don't wear skirts or headcoverings and the men wear short pants. They generally hold to some flavor of non-violence or non-resistance but they may also hold to some form of God and Country.
Josh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:52 pm I am unclear on what exactly Old Order would mean. My own group is a mixture of plain and Old Order (for example, we don't tolerate Bible studies or prayer meetings)
This is self-identification so choose whatever option describes you best. :-)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:03 pm I find it interesting to see what percentage of the population of various US states consider themselves Evangelical.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/re ... rotestant/
Absolute bottom of the list is Utah at 7%. The top is Tennessee at 52%.

Most of the states with large Anabaptist populations are right in the very middle.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:08 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:52 pmI assume non-plain conservative means evangelical but not wearing skirts, head coverings, or holding to nonresistance.
Conservative as in being against abortion, women preachers, homosexuality, and other things that conservative Evangelicals care about. And yes, the ladies typically don't wear skirts or headcoverings and the men wear short pants. They generally hold to some flavor of non-violence or non-resistance but they may also hold to some form of God and Country.
In that case it might be helpful to label it something like conservative evangelical.

In that case, how do you define Anabaptist (Mainline)? You also have a progressive option so I took “mainline” anabaptist to mean essentially how you defined conservative non-plain—no headcoverings, etc. and largely evangelical.

I interpreted Non-plain Conservative to mean headcoverings and skirts for women but not necessarily cape dresses. I assume you would put these in with Plain Conservative then?
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Also did we upgrade the forum software? I thought we used to be limited to ten poll options.
1 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:03 pm I find it interesting to see what percentage of the population of various US states consider themselves Evangelical.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/re ... rotestant/
I suspect Evangelical has to some extent become a default identity in many regions, like many in central America will identify as Catholic even if they don't practice at all. Evangelical in much of the country means not Catholic, Orthodox, Mormon, mainline protestant or Muslim.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Pelerin wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:56 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:08 pm
In that case it might be helpful to label it something like conservative evangelical.
Yes, it is conservative Evangelical with a few Anabaptist distinctives. Steven Scott calls these folks Theological Conservatives. These folks tend towards Republican persuasions. "Getting saved" is a big deal.
Pelerin wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:56 pm In that case, how do you define Anabaptist (Mainline)? You also have a progressive option so I took “mainline” anabaptist to mean essentially how you defined conservative non-plain—no headcoverings, etc. and largely evangelical.
Mainline Anabaptists allow women pastors, tend to vote Democrat, do not embrace homosexuality, are strong on social justice. "Getting saved" has less emphasis.
Pelerin wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:56 pm I interpreted Non-plain Conservative to mean headcoverings and skirts for women but not necessarily cape dresses. I assume you would put these in with Plain Conservative then?
Correct.

Progressive Anabaptists tend to embrace LGBTQ and are about as far left as humanity can go and still call themselves Christian.

And yes, the settings for polls have changed.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I have not responded to the poll, because the classifications follow only the Swiss Brethren tradition, excluding Dutch Mennonites altogether, all the way back to Menno Simons. I would also suggest that it is actually following a later preoccupation in Swiss Brethren circles with the use of "outward appearances". (Like a specific style of dress, for both male & female. But I am not referring to things like the veiling.) I am not criticizing this approach, and nor is this an appeal to change anyone's standards for practice, just saying that people of my heritage do not fit anywhere here. (I'm reminded of the time, way back when I first got to know non-Dutch Mennonites for the first time, a discussion of what would be a good symbol of "Mennonite culture". I mentioned the zwiebach as a symbol of the survival of our people, and the Deitsch people looked at me with blank looks - they didn't even know what I was talking about. I did not realize that this bread is only made in the Plautdietsch culture, not at all in the PA Deitsch culture.)

Also, some terms have been used in a sense different from common usage, such as "Mainline". In the way this term is normally used (or at least in the past - maybe I have not kept up with changes), it refers only to the old Protestant denominations, which in my somewhat more fuzzy understanding would require the practice of infant baptism, and possibly also more-than-symbolic views of the bread & the wine in communion.

Maybe I should just stay out of discussion like this, because there is no need to make changes just to accommodate a few people.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

That is interesting Neto. Do I understand you correctly that you do not think of the Dutch Mennonite movement as Anabaptist.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:52 pm I assume non-plain conservative means evangelical but not wearing skirts, head coverings, or holding to nonresistance
Sorta. The nonresistance position could vary from one person to the next.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:23 am
Josh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:52 pm I assume non-plain conservative means evangelical but not wearing skirts, head coverings, or holding to nonresistance
Sorta. The nonresistance position could vary from one person to the next.
If it "varies from one person to the next", then it is not part of the practice or custom of that group of people. So it can safely be excluded from the list. (Just like some women in a non-plain church might wear skirts.)
0 x