Vatican Shakeup

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Vatican Shakeup

Post by Josh »

If a man starts a buisness- a cabinet shop, a restaurant, a mill, whatever- and it becomes successful enough to make his rich, should he shut it down because he has profited in a worldly way?
If you find your business is doing very well, you should start distributing profits to the employees and to your customers and community, until you find that the riches you bear are no longer so much of a burden. Even better, transform your business into one with employee ownership so that they start to think like owners, too. (If your employees all become rich, they'll have a spiritual burden, too - but that's a different topic.)

(And I'd affirm most of what Ken said above too.)
0 x
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

Josh wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:32 pm
If a man starts a buisness- a cabinet shop, a restaurant, a mill, whatever- and it becomes successful enough to make his rich, should he shut it down because he has profited in a worldly way?
If you find your business is doing very well, you should start distributing profits to the employees and to your customers and community, until you find that the riches you bear are no longer so much of a burden. Even better, transform your business into one with employee ownership so that they start to think like owners, too. (If your employees all become rich, they'll have a spiritual burden, too - but that's a different topic.)

(And I'd affirm most of what Ken said above too.)
The Dwarf House (of which the original in Hapeville is now the only one) cooked a lot more things than just greasy fast food. You could order just about any meal you wanted.

He did take care of his employees, his family, his neighbors (he fed many, like the poor family who went to church with me in my teens, who happened to live right across the street from him), and his community. My sister worked for him personally. She was the corporate travel agent for him. Everybody who worked at the office ate for free at a buffet. He provided high salaries, and the best insurance. I've never heard an evil report of the man. And that's saying a lot.

As soon as he died, things changed. His son, Dan is the owner now- but I don't think he has much to do with the operations. He just lives off the business, and let's the bean-counters run it. My sister lost her insurance and many of her benefits as soon as Truitt died. He buckled to the woke mob and quit giving to the Salvation Army and another Christian charity because they taught homosexuality to be sinful. And that's when all the Dwarf Houses (like the one in Griffin) became just another fast-food restaurant- the only Dwarf House is the original in Hapeville now.

I have a lot of respect for the man, not because of his wealth, but because he WAS unselfish and generous to all around him.
1 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

One more scripture which, to my mind, shows that being wealthy does not mean one is damned:

1 Timothy 6:17-19
17 Those rich in the present age charge thou not to be high-minded, nor to hope in the uncertainty of riches, but in the living God, who is giving to us all things richly for enjoyment; --

18 to do good, to be rich in good works, to be ready to impart, willing to communicate,

19 treasuring up to themselves a right foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on the life age-during.
0 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Outsider wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:57 pm One more scripture which, to my mind, shows that being wealthy does not mean one is damned:

1 Timothy 6:17-19
17 Those rich in the present age charge thou not to be high-minded, nor to hope in the uncertainty of riches, but in the living God, who is giving to us all things richly for enjoyment; --

18 to do good, to be rich in good works, to be ready to impart, willing to communicate,

19 treasuring up to themselves a right foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on the life age-during.
Good text ! 'To be rich in good works' is a theme throughout the NT. Jesus said that is how we let shine the the light within us that we are given. In references to what is most important about our outward appearance, it is our good deeds that are to stand out. Although no one can be saved just by doing good deeds, good works are the normal outcome of a changed heart. Jesus reached out beyond His followers in doing good deeds. Sometimes we can withdraw (live separate from the world) in a way that we don't become very involved in good deeds to all of mankind. That is one area where the Salvation Army has especially got my attention. And at judgment time for a Christian, I believe these good deeds are big in the rewards we will receive.

I wish my track record was far greater than it is in this area and I now am more aware every day of what good deeds I am doing for whoever. These are some of the treasures in heaven that are stored up for our reward. This is my understanding of good deeds as done unto others as done unto the Lord. 'Good deeds', another possible thread topic.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Now here is a real Vatican shakeup in 1527 AD.
THE 1527 SACK OF ROME
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God