A Season of Whingeing: Bible Verses as antidote?

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

A Season of Whingeing: Bible Verses as antidote?

Post by MaxPC »

I am seeing a great deal of whingeing every year after Valentine’s Day. Some think it may be the weather and winter blues. Some think depression is aggravated this time of year (S.A.D.). Others blame the eternal whipping post of social media overload.

Regardless of the reason for this season of whingeing, what are some Bible devotional books that can help lift the spirits?

Or perhaps everyone just needs to go outside more?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: A Season of Whingeing: Bible Verses as antidote?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Had to look this one up:

Complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:08 pm
Or perhaps everyone just needs to go outside more?
This is my go-to right now. This time of year is always rough for everyone.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Is this different than whining?
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:11 pm Had to look this one up:

Complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
My Brit-speak slips out periodically. I suppose that can be another handy use of the internet: translation :D
RZehr wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:21 pm Is this different than whining?
In my lexicon the two words are identical in meaning.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

For myself, I find day after day of cloud cover has a certain negative effect on me and I believe causes more of a tendency to talk more of the bad things in life than the good things. And I suppose staying inside more and watching the news doesn't help. Lately, it has been so rare that we have a sunny day and when we do my spirit is lifted and I so look forward to spring and watching the beauty that still exists in seeing things come to life.

Yes, there are many uplifting scriptures to turn to but sometimes my spirit gives too much control to my flesh and how it feels and I don't experience the wonderful benefits of walking in the Spirit. Even the threads on forums, imo, focus so much on what is wrong in this world than on the great experiences we have or can have as believers when we give the Spirit control. Just look at our post topics and see which are more about good things than about bad things. I really don't think we are helping one another to primarily talk about the bad, self included.

Just yesterday we went for our daily car ride and all of a sudden the sun broke through the clouds. I felt an immediate positive response. My spirit lifted for that short period just to see the sun shining through. I so look foward to spring and the daylight periods getting longer.

Some people think if we don't talk about all this wrong in the world, we are just sticking our heads in the sand, so to speak. However, what I see happening is that the wrongs get most of the attention and very little is shared about the rights that are possible. We, I, should be going about being lights in this world not anxious about what this world is up to but rather impacting others by the light we, I, have within as we, I, allow it to be seen in our, my, peace, love and joy in the Holy Spirit. In other words, walk in the Spirit.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:46 pm For myself, I find day after day of cloud cover has a certain negative effect on me and I believe causes more of a tendency to talk more of the bad things in life than the good things. And I suppose staying inside more and watching the news doesn't help. Lately, it has been so rare that we have a sunny day and when we do my spirit is lifted and I so look forward to spring and watching the beauty that still exists in seeing things come to life.

Yes, there are many uplifting scriptures to turn to but sometimes my spirit gives too much control to my flesh and how it feels and I don't experience the wonderful benefits of walking in the Spirit. Even the threads on forums, imo, focus so much on what is wrong in this world than on the great experiences we have or can have as believers when we give the Spirit control. Just look at our post topics and see which are more about good things than about bad things. I really don't think we are helping one another to primarily talk about the bad, self included.

Just yesterday we went for our daily car ride and all of a sudden the sun broke through the clouds. I felt an immediate positive response. My spirit lifted for that short period just to see the sun shining through. I so look foward to spring and the daylight periods getting longer.

Some people think if we don't talk about all this wrong in the world, we are just sticking our heads in the sand, so to speak. However, what I see happening is that the wrongs get most of the attention and very little is shared about the rights that are possible. We, I, should be going about being lights in this world not anxious about what this world is up to but rather impacting others by the light we, I, have within as we, I, allow it to be seen in our, my, peace, love and joy in the Holy Spirit. In other words, walk in the Spirit.
AMEN.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)