Catholicism vs. Evangelicalism in Brazil

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Catholicism vs. Evangelicalism in Brazil

Post by Josh »

One wonders what will happen when the La. church also stops having the resources to keep sending people and funding programs.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:41 am One wonders what will happen when the La. church also stops having the resources to keep sending people and funding programs.
That's a good question. Right now, the salaries of the workers at the church (that includes Gringos and Locals) are paid for by the La church.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:58 am
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:41 am One wonders what will happen when the La. church also stops having the resources to keep sending people and funding programs.
That's a good question. Right now, the salaries of the workers at the church (that includes Gringos and Locals) are paid for by the La church.
Maybe the church will start sending missionaries to America.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Soloist wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:02 pm
Maybe inadvertently. In the past year the church has lost close to 70 members from immigration (illegally) to the U.S.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Josh

Post by Josh »

Interesting case… whereas the diocese has more local control (and thus local funding). In America they just close parishes when there aren’t enough priests and force consolidation. If a parish wants to fight to stay open the parishioners have to put in the legwork to recruit a priest. My own diocese I live in has this going on in several places.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:34 am Neither I nor many of the Catholic hierarchy see this as a competition with other denominations. As far as I am concerned, I am glad to see any population hunger for Christ and the Bible.

I see this as individuals seeking to meet their needs for faith-based gatherings when priests are not available. Indeed some of the local priests form associations with non-Catholic ministers to provide social services and ecumenical prayer meetings.
Apparently the folks involved in the WAPO account didn't get the memo...
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

The mission I served under, supported the Bible School, and some of the building projects. Did not salary local national pastors. That was a general policy. This was to make nationalizing the mission more straightforward. Americans and Canadians were paid out of their home countries.

There were some exceptions if you were running a hospital or other medical facility.

The goal is to get our, after establishment of a church.
1 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:13 pm
Soloist wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:02 pm
Maybe inadvertently. In the past year the church has lost close to 70 members from immigration (illegally) to the U.S.
A common question we were asked in Jordan while in language school “can you help me get to America “?
0 x
:hug:
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:15 pm
Interesting case… whereas the diocese has more local control (and thus local funding). In America they just close parishes when there aren’t enough priests and force consolidation. If a parish wants to fight to stay open the parishioners have to put in the legwork to recruit a priest. My own diocese I live in has this going on in several places.
It is a tougher sell in rural Latin America where marriage and family is far more socially obligatory than in the US. There is basically no adult singles life in most of rural Latin America. And the undeveloped transportation and communications networks make it tougher for a single person to cover multiple towns. The big cities are perhaps different. But they aren't where the priest shortages exist.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:49 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:15 pm
It is a tougher sell in rural Latin America where marriage and family is far more socially obligatory than in the US. There is basically no adult singles life in most of rural Latin America. And the undeveloped transportation and communications networks make it tougher for a single person to cover multiple towns. The big cities are perhaps different. But they aren't where the priest shortages exist.
Yet somehow Catholicism thrived and become dominant in the past, when presumably family life was even more important and transportation and communication was less developed.
0 x