Catholicism vs. Evangelicalism in Brazil

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Catholicism vs. Evangelicalism in Brazil

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:46 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:33 pm
MaxPC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:39 pm I agree there does seem to be a lot of anger all over the world and social media may be a factor.[/color][/b]
which is irrelevant to Guatemalan parishes getting a priest to come by once a year.
I would be a bit put off if my church cared so little that the ministry was available only once a year.
It's not so much that they don't care.

It's that they have a massive shortage of priests due mostly to the church's unwillingness to accommodate married priests. There are far fewer young men, especially in Latin America who are willing to remain unmarried and celibate for their entire lives. In contrast to past centuries when the priesthood was the only vehicle out of extreme poverty for many, and the only vehicle to getting an education.

Before evangelicalism swept across Latin America they could more or less get away with only showing up on occasion. Obviously that is no longer the case. In religion and in life, showing up is often 90% of the battle.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:01 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:33 pm

which is irrelevant to Guatemalan parishes getting a priest to come by once a year.
I would be a bit put off if my church cared so little that the ministry was available only once a year.

It's that they have a massive shortage of priests due mostly to the church's unwillingness to accommodate married priests. There are far fewer young men, especially in Latin America who are willing to remain unmarried and celibate for their entire lives. In contrast to past centuries when the priesthood was the only vehicle out of extreme poverty for many, and the only vehicle to getting an education.

Before evangelicalism swept across Latin America they could more or less get away with only showing up on occasion. Obviously that is no longer the case. In religion and in life, showing up is often 90% of the battle.
If they cared, they would drop the celibacy rule. The current model is simply unsustainable.

You know, it is a rule that could be changed.
0 x
:hug:
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:02 am

If they cared, they would drop the celibacy rule. The current model is simply unsustainable.

You know, it is a rule that could be changed.
I'm just waiting for someone to start claiming that our idea that celibacy is required for the priesthood is not the official Vatican position, and that priests can indeed be married. And that anything we might find to the contrary on the Vatican website, if read in context, actually means the exact opposite of what it appears to say.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:47 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:02 am

You know, it as is a rule that could be changed.
I'm just waiting for someone to start claiming that our idea that celibacy is required for the priesthood is not the official Vatican position, and that priests can indeed be married. And that anything we might find to the contrary on the Vatican website, if read in context, actually means the exact opposite of what it appears to say.
Well, in the Eastern Catholic Churches, married priests are the norm.

So if this were actually the problem, they could just start establishing Eastern Rite parishes in Guatemala.

But Eastern (Greek Catholic) churches are suffering the same priest shortage. A rather key thing is that such priests aren’t allowed to divorce and remarry, and these days a sizeable number of them are divorced/separated. If they want to remarry they’d have to leave the priesthood.
0 x