Why should Christians vote in elections.... ?

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Why should Christians vote in elections.... ?

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:36 am
Ken wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:32 pm I'm just suggesting that the "lessor of two evils" argument is not a very good one for not voting.
Maybe not from your worldview, pragmatism is a strong argument. But I am arguing from an impractical worldview that hinges on the present reality of Jesus and his plans for the future. In this world overcoming evil done by faithfulness, the power of God and "to keep unspotted from the world." From this perspective loosing means being drawn in and compromised by evil.
I actually think we Americans spend too much time looking at the personalities of candidates and spend far less time thinking about the policy implications of which party has control over the executive branch. Even the news coverage does this. Both Biden and Trump have their individual strengths and foibles. But really what is important is the direction that they take the country in when it comes to:

Jobs, the economy, and taxes
Foreign affairs (Gaza, Ukraine, China, Iran, Mexico, military budgets, etc.)
Education
The Environment
Criminal Justice and crime
Civil Rights (Race, Religion, Sexuality, etc.)
Healthcare (Obamacare repeal or not, etc.)
Retirement (cut, expand, change social security and other retirement programs)
Immigration
and whatever other issues you find important.

If you find that you and your church are unconcerned and unengaged in any of those issues then sure, voting isn't for you. But if you or your church are engaged in any of this issues then this is your minimum starting point for engagement.

And one can do the same analysis down to the state and local level. If there are no issues that concern you or affect you then don't vote. It is irrelevant to you. But if you have concerns about state or local issues then this is your point of engagement.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Why should Christians vote in elections.... ?

Post by Josh »

As if there’s any really difference between the two parties.

Democrats are more committed to abortion, I guess.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ken wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:16 pm
I actually think we Americans spend too much time looking at the personalities of candidates and spend far less time thinking about the policy implications of which party has control over the executive branch. Even the news coverage does this. Both Biden and Trump have their individual strengths and foibles. But really what is important is the direction that they take the country in when it comes to:

Education
The Environment
Immigration

If you find that you and your church are unconcerned and unengaged in any of those issues then sure, voting isn't for you. But if you or your church are engaged in any of this issues then this is your minimum starting point for engagement.

And one can do the same analysis down to the state and local level. If there are no issues that concern you or affect you then don't vote. It is irrelevant to you. But if you have concerns about state or local issues then this is your point of engagement.
I don't accept the construction that voting equals engagement or that abstaining equals unconcern or disengagement. Our church has no policy on voting, I was merely warning there might be more entanglement down that road than you initially estimate.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:38 pm As if there’s any really difference between the two parties.

Democrats are more committed to abortion, I guess.
If you can't tell any difference then I suggest you aren't looking very hard. The differences today are wider than they have been at any time since perhaps the Great Depression and New Deal.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:53 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:16 pm

Education
The Environment
Immigration

I don't accept the construction that voting equals engagement or that abstaining equals unconcern or disengagement. Our church has no policy on voting, I was merely warning there might be more entanglement down that road than you initially estimate.
I did not claim that voting equals engagement.

What I said was that if you want to engage in policy, then voting is a minimum starting point. That is the one place where all citizens are guaranteed the ability to express their policy preferences.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken, which one kills less humans?

Which one honors Jesus more?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:59 pm Ken, which one kills less humans?

You can make both calculations if you wish.

How many people die through Republican policies versus Democratic policies? Gun violence, lack of health care, unsafe highways, air and water pollution, agricultural policies that promote unhealthy diets, etc. etc. And then foreign policy. Which suite of policies promotes a more peaceful word versus a more violent world.

As for honoring Jesus? We know what sort of acts he emphasized. Healing the sick caring for the poor, redistribution of resources, witnessing for peace and nonviolence both locally and globally.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:24 pm

How many people die through Republican policies versus Democratic policies? Gun violence, lack of health care, unsafe highways, air and water pollution, agricultural policies that promote unhealthy diets, etc. etc. And then foreign policy. Which suite of policies promotes a more peaceful word versus a more violent world.

As for honoring Jesus? We know what sort of acts he emphasized. Healing the sick caring for the poor, redistribution of resources, witnessing for peace and nonviolence both locally and globally.
My God is so red, my God is so blue. Its amazing how often He agrees with you.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:40 pm

My God is so red, my God is so blue. Its amazing how often He agrees with you.
I made no such claims.

I'm merely pointing out that one can, in fact, answer the question that YOU asked.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

When Jesus came to the earth. Did he institute a government doing these things?
0 x