Can Anabaptism be Catholic and vice versa?

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Can Anabaptism be Catholic and vice versa?

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:03 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:34 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:22 am Anyone ever hear of Professor Mike Driedger in Ontario?.? He seems to want to Munsterfy all of anabaptism.

He seems to present Munster as the norm, and everything else as an outlier.
He sounds like a 16th century Protestant.
He is Canadian, an academic, his opinions sound like Falco. His website is a mess, you have to bypass an expired certificate
In my life I have been around a lot of academics over the years. And through my wife I've known a lot of doctors socially.

I have found (outside the rare exception) that they tend not to be more intelligent than anyone else. They have just made different life choices and have gotten on different tracks.

The amount of stupid things I have seen doctors and professors do when they stray outside their area of expertise could fill a book. Especially doctors when it comes to money. Some of the more ridiculous and bad investments I've ever seen.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

It's common in Reformed circles for any discussion about Anabaptists to immediately turn to acting as if Munsterites and Batenburgers defined the Anabaptist movement, which they did not. I think it's a deflection tactic because talking about the rest of the history of Anabaptism is, well, pretty uncomfortable for people who aren't Anabaptists.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:44 pm It's common in Reformed circles for any discussion about Anabaptists to immediately turn to acting as if Munsterites and Batenburgers defined the Anabaptist movement, which they did not. I think it's a deflection tactic because talking about the rest of the history of Anabaptism is, well, pretty uncomfortable for people who aren't Anabaptists.
So basically the same as talking about Catholicism as if history ended with Tomás de Torquemada and the Grand Inquisition.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:37 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:03 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:34 am
He sounds like a 16th century Protestant.
He is Canadian, an academic, his opinions sound like Falco. His website is a mess, you have to bypass an expired certificate
In my life I have been around a lot of academics over the years. And through my wife I've known a lot of doctors socially.

I have found (outside the rare exception) that they tend not to be more intelligent than anyone else. They have just made different life choices and have gotten on different tracks.

The amount of stupid things I have seen doctors and professors do when they stray outside their area of expertise could fill a book. Especially doctors when it comes to money. Some of the more ridiculous and bad investments I've ever seen.
no, flying light aircraft tops the table. Especially cardiologists. Make JFK jr. look cautious and timid.
0 x
:hug:
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:01 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:44 pm It's common in Reformed circles for any discussion about Anabaptists to immediately turn to acting as if Munsterites and Batenburgers defined the Anabaptist movement, which they did not. I think it's a deflection tactic because talking about the rest of the history of Anabaptism is, well, pretty uncomfortable for people who aren't Anabaptists.
So basically the same as talking about Catholicism as if history ended with Tomás de Torquemada and the Grand Inquisition.

Well the Catholic Church is a monolithic group. Have a publicly renounced what they did? And when did they do this?
I think most if not all of the non Munster groups out there even back then publicly stated the Munster group was wrong. We don’t try to deny that being part of the reformation Anabaptist movement, but the Anabaptist movement was not monolithic. Even today there are several main divisions that basically started back then. All of them rejected it. They didn’t take responsibility for it, which is right and correct as they were not in a position of authority over those people.
I don’t expect some Catholic Church in California to apologize for actions done, but I do expect the Vatican to formally admit they were wrong and repent. Which they may have done that. If that’s the case then they can be evaluated from that point forward but given their progressive ideology that seems to be being peddled, they may not be violent anymore but they still have problems.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:01 pm
Yes - basically the same thing. I'll note that some Reformed people basically talk about the Catholic church the same way there, essentially they never move on from the 16th century.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Most evangelical protestants that I know see us as a mission field, to throw off our "legalism", start talking their lingo and fly the flag high. Seriously, one of my former classmates in grad school almost said you cannot lose your salvation, except for becoming a Mennonite. They caught themselves before the obvious conclusion to the logic came out.

I expect the same thing is true of Catholicism. The difference is protestants shed the idea of state control much later. Scandinavian national churches are functionally meaningless as established churches, they may as well be free. It is so much so that the state churches include the Laestadian Lutheran Church. They would be more like us than you can imagine. Main difference is baptism.
0 x
:hug:
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

The Catholic Church would disavow your behavior.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:29 pm ANY DECENT CIVIL INSTITUTION WOULD HAVE OUSTED THIS NUT ALREADY
I guess he's asking for it?
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Soloist wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:34 pm The Catholic Church would disavow your behavior.
I would sure hope it would. That post is way over the top! :shock: :shock:
Last edited by GaryK on Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x