Can Anabaptism be Catholic and vice versa?

General Christian Theology
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Can Anabaptism be Catholic and vice versa?

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:14 am
Josh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:44 pm It's common in Reformed circles for any discussion about Anabaptists to immediately turn to acting as if Munsterites and Batenburgers defined the Anabaptist movement, which they did not. I think it's a deflection tactic because talking about the rest of the history of Anabaptism is, well, pretty uncomfortable for people who aren't Anabaptists.
I think that's right. In my experience, Reformed folk are often quick to lump us all in with the worst of the "Radical Reformers" wing of the Reformation and then to also accuse of Legalism and "Works-based Salvation". Not the most gracious folk around.

Again, I would commend Carlos Eire's 4 "Radical Reformers" typologies that although broadly related are clearly distinct. The Swiss Brethren and the Dutch Mennonites are, for Eire, quite different from the folk that ran Muenster. I don't have the book in front of me but if I get a chance I will try to transcribe the table (with specific examples) of the 4 typologies.

As for Mr. Dreidger, he seems like a hack academic with an axe to grind.
My impression is he is a Ph.D "wandering scholar," who is trying to create enough of a stir to get a tenure track appointment. Those are few and far between, and you must distinguish yourself from the crowd.

Still, there is some interesting stuff contained on his website, but is no order that I can discern
0 x
:hug: