Positive Thread: Leadership

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Positive Thread: Leadership

Post by MaxPC »

What are some positive examples of leadership behaviors you have experienced in your fellowship.

Bible verse references are welcome. Complaints about leadership is not.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Positive Thread: Leadership

Post by Grace »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:48 pm What are some positive examples of leadership behaviors you have experienced in your fellowship.

Being there when someone goes through a hard time. We had an incident happen that we thought we might need professional legal help. One in the ministry was well versed enough in legal matters to give good advice. Through his wise counsel he walked us through the issue. Turned out we didn't need professional legal help, thankfully.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Grace wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:10 pm
MaxPC wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:48 pm What are some positive examples of leadership behaviors you have experienced in your fellowship.

Being there when someone goes through a hard time. We had an incident happen that we thought we might need professional legal help. One in the ministry was well versed enough in legal matters to give good advice. Through his wise counsel he walked us through the issue. Turned out we didn't need professional legal help, thankfully.
We too, have experienced group leaders and pastors who made themselves available at all hours to comfort or assist. They never grumbled. They always showed concern for the membership. They were humble in that they always focused on the needs of the members. They did not try to become a celebrity.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

When you say “we”, to whom are you referring? Are you multiple people?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Integrity is huge. Humility is a close second.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Post by Verity »

Three incidents come to my mind, but there are many more.

One winter we had a lot of sickness and were stretched very thin. Our supply of wood almost used up in the midst of a record lows. One night I was up with sick ones and heard a commotion in the garage. When I went to check it out, our young minister and his sons were busy replenishing our wood supply. They wanted to make sure we had what we needed before the next snow storm. That wood lasted until our family was up and able again.

While going through a time of profound loss and betrayal, another minister came. He shared deeply from his own past, our tears mingling. I had a lot of respect for him prior to this, but it certainly was cemented with that incident.

There were misunderstandings at church about the practical application of a church standard. It wasn't anything serious, but the misunderstanding had grown to a large scale. Despite the source of the misunderstanding not being solely with him, one of the ministry took full responsibility and apologized to each one involved, also over the pulpit. He humbly shared why he saw the misunderstanding had happened and how he wanted to do better (and he and the rest of the congregation did indeed do better!).

In most Anabaptist circles, the leaders are not paid for their service. They spend hours in church work, including a lot of behind the scenes meetings and serving. Some of the best examples of a genuine servant's heart have been Mennonite deacons I have known.

Thanks for starting this thread.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Selflessness is another I thought of.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!