Do Plain Catholics exist?

General Christian Theology
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Do Plain Catholics exist?

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:33 pm I have said numerous compliments of Anabaptists through the years. I'm just asking you to try to say some good things about Catholics instead of all negative.
I am sorry, I shouldn't have used the words fighting and spewing but that's how it "feels" to me.

I'm sorry too, to Max and Sudsy as they are hurt by this thread and I should have abstained.
I very much appreciate COG and the work they have done. Max claimed they were not a real Catholic group. Ironic if you ask me.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:33 pm I'm just asking you to try to say some good things about Catholics instead of all negative.
But that's not the topic of this thread.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:37 pm
Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:33 pm I have said numerous compliments of Anabaptists through the years. I'm just asking you to try to say some good things about Catholics instead of all negative.
I am sorry, I shouldn't have used the words fighting and spewing but that's how it "feels" to me.

I'm sorry too, to Max and Sudsy as they are hurt by this thread and I should have abstained.
I very much appreciate COG and the work they have done. Max claimed they were not a real Catholic group. Ironic if you ask me.
Likely because they do not have official church approval. So Max is making the claim that the Children of God for Life is not a Catholic group because they lack approval.

Than, since the so called plain catholic group appears not to have any official church approval, can they properly be called a catholic group?

Hmmm…….
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus

Maybe the question is, are the plain Catholics Catholic?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:27 pm
Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:48 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:05 pm
Teach=Proselytize.

Enough said.
Because like other Protestants, you assume wrongly by misunderstanding or blaming Constantine for this & that when things were from those taught by Apostles. A wise person will try to understand things they clearly don't.
Best to stick with milk.
There is nothing to be regarded as scripture other than that which God breathed through those who had seen Jesus. Those other things are an allusion that could be taken many ways. So you claim an infallible church? Which church? Which version of which church? You have no idea how much the Catholic Church has changed. I grew up pre Vatican II. Nothing is the same. So who is infallible? Which version? Will they change it in the future?

Various orthodox and Catholic Churches have different “traditions “ that differ from each other.

I can point to you places where that “tradition “ changed, all on the word of one patriarch. Split the Russian church wide open.

Matthew 15:9. Matthew 15:9 KJV
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

I will stick to God’s word, the Bible
The Holy Spirit guides the Church. By the same token, why are Anabaptists all over the place in variance? So you allow for changes in your own denomination-
Decisions from the beginning were decided by councils (Acts 15) so the Church is not stagnant nor is she perfect as the Apostle James said not many should become teachers for we all stumble in many things (James 3:1)
There are SO many different teachers that started denominations
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:49 pm

Because like other Protestants, you assume wrongly by misunderstanding or blaming Constantine for this & that when things were from those taught by Apostles. A wise person will try to understand things they clearly don't.
Best to stick with milk.
There is nothing to be regarded as scripture other than that which God breathed through those who had seen Jesus. Those other things are an allusion that could be taken many ways. So you claim an infallible church? Which church? Which version of which church? You have no idea how much the Catholic Church has changed. I grew up pre Vatican II. Nothing is the same. So who is infallible? Which version? Will they change it in the future?

Various orthodox and Catholic Churches have different “traditions “ that differ from each other.

I can point to you places where that “tradition “ changed, all on the word of one patriarch. Split the Russian church wide open.

The Holy Spirit guides the Church. By the same token, why are Anabaptists all over the place in variance? So you allow for changes in your own denomination-
Decisions from the beginning were decided by councils (Acts 15) so the Church is not stagnant nor is she perfect as the Apostle said- not to gave many teachers as we all stumble in many things.
We don't insist that people ignore what the Bible says and instead rely on our understanding of things.

You insist that we should yield to ancient tradition but refuse to say which ancient tradition, of which there are many.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:49 pm

Best to stick with milk.
There is nothing to be regarded as scripture other than that which God breathed through those who had seen Jesus. Those other things are an allusion that could be taken many ways. So you claim an infallible church? Which church? Which version of which church? Your have no idea how much the Catholic Church has changed. I grew up pre Vatican II. Nothing is the same. So who is infallible? Which version? Will they change it in the future?

Decisions from the beginning were decided by councils (Acts 15) so the Church is not stagnant nor is she perfect as the Apostle James said not many should become teachers for we all stumble in many things (James 3:1)
There are SO many different teachers that started denominations
Including Eastern Orthodoxy in all of its different forms and Roman Catholicism, in all of its different forms.

Maybe it is because the Holy Spirit does not only speak to one or two individuals. Of course, the Russian and Ukrainian Orthodox spend so much time casting curses at each other, I doubt they are hearing anything. And than you have the Pope telling one side to surrender. Just wow.

The union of church and state breeds corruption. The one most important moment in the Mennonite church is when it declared itself free of connection with the state.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:45 pm
Likely because they do not have official church approval. So Max is making the claim that the Children of God for Life is not a Catholic group because they lack approval.

Than, since the so called plain catholic group appears not to have any official church approval, can they properly be called a catholic group?

Hmmm…….
Up until recently, they actually had a Bishop that you could actually speak to. I haven’t looked recently so I’m not sure if the Vatican removed him for opposing the transgender blessing thing yet.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:49 pm The Holy Spirit guides the Church.
Constantine was not the Holy Spirit, but it is certainly he who "guided" the so-called church in the First Council of Nicaea forcing the inclusion of language borrowed from pagan philosophy and influencing many of the the bishops to sign the creed against their own inclination.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:21 pm That is a problem. Abortion has affected the plain community as well. Which is why my friend was asked to do a booth at a Church years ago, during their missionary weekend ( I actually think it was Netos church) She asked me to help her out at it. We were so surprised at what the man who contacted her shared about abortion in the plain communities.

These debates are carnal and not good for the soul. Sudsy is grieved at this and wants the thread closed. So does Max. I vote for that as well.
Valerie, 60% of plain Anabaptists are not going out and voting to enshrine laws making abortion legal.

Abortion is quite rare in plain communities. Amongst conservative Mennonites it is basically nonexistent.
0 x