Do Plain Catholics exist?

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Do Plain Catholics exist?

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:06 pm
Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:49 pm The Holy Spirit guides the Church.
Constantine was not the Holy Spirit, but it is certainly he who "guided" the so-called church in the First Council of Nicaea forcing the inclusion of language borrowed from pagan philosophy and influencing many of the the bishops to sign the creed against their own inclination.
So called church.

Futile discussion
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:42 pm
Constantine was not the Holy Spirit, but it is certainly he who "guided" the so-called church in the First Council of Nicaea forcing the inclusion of language borrowed from pagan philosophy and influencing many of the the bishops to sign the creed against their own inclination.
So called church.

Futile discussion

Yet you continue to argue for it against a group of people that have never recognized their authority or legitimacy.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Constantine wasn’t even baptised until his deathbed. So according to Catholic and Orthodox dogma, he was unregenerate and not converted.

So why should we should respect anything a pagan emperor had to say or do?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:42 pm
So called church.

Futile discussion
Yes, I think you find it quite futile to try to make a convincing argument that the true Church of Jesus Christ was represented by that group of men gathered together at the command of an unbaptized Roman Emperor, worshiper of Sol Invictus, who had gathered them together to reach a pre-determined conclusion regarding a difference in doctrine which he believed was of small consequence, except for the fact that the division threatened his political power.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Does anyone doubt that Catholics exist? Or that Constantine existed?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Why is it that some here who don't believe that 'Plain Catholics' exist will not be satisfied that they have made their point but instead keep pushing the issue ? Are you wanting a public confession made from those who do, that they are lieing ? There seems to me to be some 'gotcha' going on here that is not very Christ like. The only person here who identifies themself with that label has wipe the dust off their feet and moved on and this should be quite obvious.

Imo, this is a poor representation of being peacemakers and being known as a peace wing of Christianity. Perhaps this is common within Anabaptism and is at the root of all the splits that go on, I don't know.

Back in September, 2017 a thread began called 'Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists' . Then there was this one 'Do Plain Catholics exist ?' What will the next one be 'Are Catholics Christians ?' Personally I hope not.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:31 pm Why is it that some here who don't believe that 'Plain Catholics' exist will not be satisfied that they have made their point but instead keep pushing the issue ? Are you wanting a public confession made from those who do, that they are lieing ? There seems to me to be some 'gotcha' going on here that is not very Christ like. The only person here who identifies themself with that label has wipe the dust off their feet and moved on and this should be quite obvious.

Imo, this is a poor representation of being peacemakers and being known as a peace wing of Christianity. Perhaps this is common within Anabaptism and is at the root of all the splits that go on, I don't know.

Back in September, 2017 a thread began called 'Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists' . Then there was this one 'Do Plain Catholics exist ?' What will the next one be 'Are Catholics Christians ?' Personally I hope not.
Hey, the conversation had actually moved away from "Plain Catholics" until you just now brought it back to the subject again...
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I feel a little bit like if we’re going to say our point once and be done, that would be very reasonable if the opponent also only did it once and was done.

Nonresistance is not a rug.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:50 pm Constantine wasn’t even baptised until his deathbed. So according to Catholic and Orthodox dogma, he was unregenerate and not converted.

So why should we should respect anything a pagan emperor had to say or do?
Some of you may find the Facebook page Blame Constantine amusing. They specialize in finding all manner of things to blame Constantine for. Here's one from Thursday:
Pi Day was a Pagan Holiday invented by Pie Worshiping Cults until Constantine Christianized it in 314.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:43 pm
Josh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:28 pm Well, we reject writing outside of the Bible as being inspired scripture.

What would you suggest we add to scripture, what writings? What books?
So you reject the Holy Spirit stopped speaking? You do realize there were prophets in the new Church of the New covenant. Do you happen to know what all they had to say? That the Holy Spirit speaks?
What all did they say? If you know and we don't, please enlighten us.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited