Do Plain Catholics exist?

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Do Plain Catholics exist?

Post by Ken »

Out of the roughly 1.4 Billion Catholics in the world, there are no doubt a few who dress plainly and share various ideals that might be common in plain Anabaptist congregations.

But are there actual "plain" Catholic congregations that adhere to some alternate "plain" doctrine that differs from official Catholic teaching. And that would presumably have to be run by some sort of apostate priests in defiance of their diocese?

To my knowledge, one has produced evidence that any such congregations exist, much less provided the address of such a church that anyone could look up and go visit.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:39 pm Catholics do exist. Some of them appear to copy Amish/Mennonite patterns of lifestyle and a cohesive group calling themselves “Plain Catholics” within the Catholics doesn’t factually exist by any confirmed Catholic outside of Max.
What about this - https://plaincatholic.wordpress.com/
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:43 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:39 pm Catholics do exist. Some of them appear to copy Amish/Mennonite patterns of lifestyle and a cohesive group calling themselves “Plain Catholics” within the Catholics doesn’t factually exist by any confirmed Catholic outside of Max.
https://www2.ljworld.com/news/2002/aug/ ... _day_means
Three members of the Old German Baptist Brethren watch Friday as the Cedar Creek Meeting House rolls down an Anderson County road 12 miles west of Garnett. The 1898 structure was being moved to a new location.
Stealing pictures doesn’t build credibility
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:47 pm
Sudsy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:43 pm
https://www2.ljworld.com/news/2002/aug/ ... _day_means
Three members of the Old German Baptist Brethren watch Friday as the Cedar Creek Meeting House rolls down an Anderson County road 12 miles west of Garnett. The 1898 structure was being moved to a new location.
Not to mention the fact that this wordpress site in question hasn't been updated in 14 years.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

This incident is not the first time. Back in the early days of Menno discuss he posted pictures he passed off as homes of plain Catholics to demonstrate their lifestyle. The pictures were of a display from a living history museum.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

barnhart wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:11 pm
This incident is not the first time. Back in the early days of Menno discuss he posted pictures he passed off as homes of plain Catholics to demonstrate their lifestyle. The pictures were of a display from a living history museum.
Maybe we should put this back in the "lying" thread after all.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:18 pm
I'm getting totally lost with what to post where. Might be my old age but I'm having trouble following these threads. :?
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:24 pm
ohio jones wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:18 pm

I'm getting totally lost with what to post where. Might be my old age but I'm having trouble following these threads. :?
Yes, likewise. :yawn: :yawn:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

So Max, do you know who ran that blog? Perhaps you can ask them why they are using Anabaptists for their picture?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I ran across this group known as what I would think are 'plain Catholics' and one of their congregations live only 30 minutes from me in Windsor, Ontario. They seem to me to be quite 'plain' in their ways. Details on them can be found here - https://madonnahouse.org/about/ and here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_House_Apostolate

They are found in various places in North America and elsewhere.
1 x