Do Plain Catholics exist?

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Do Plain Catholics exist?

Post by Sudsy »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:53 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:31 pm Why is it that some here who don't believe that 'Plain Catholics' exist will not be satisfied that they have made their point but instead keep pushing the issue ? Are you wanting a public confession made from those who do, that they are lieing ? There seems to me to be some 'gotcha' going on here that is not very Christ like. The only person here who identifies themself with that label has wipe the dust off their feet and moved on and this should be quite obvious.

Imo, this is a poor representation of being peacemakers and being known as a peace wing of Christianity. Perhaps this is common within Anabaptism and is at the root of all the splits that go on, I don't know.

Back in September, 2017 a thread began called 'Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists' . Then there was this one 'Do Plain Catholics exist ?' What will the next one be 'Are Catholics Christians ?' Personally I hope not.
Hey, the conversation had actually moved away from "Plain Catholics" until you just now brought it back to the subject again...
Yes, right. I'm to blame. If it moved away from the title than it didn't belong here. But I can count on you, Ken, to push back on many of my thoughts. ;) How about we turn over a new leaf and both try to avoid conflict. I will try, instead of putting you on my 'foes' list until I can.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:50 pm Constantine wasn’t even baptised until his deathbed. So according to Catholic and Orthodox dogma, he was unregenerate and not converted.

So why should we should respect anything a pagan emperor had to say or do?
He was, in fact, baptized by an Aryan bishop……not an “Orthodox” or “Catholic “ one.

I place quotes because the Great schism had not yet occurred, and the division did not yet exist. Yet both sides would label an Aryan a heretic. So would the Apostle John.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 pm I feel a little bit like if we’re going to say our point once and be done, that would be very reasonable if the opponent also only did it once and was done.

Nonresistance is not a rug.

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:15 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:53 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:31 pm Why is it that some here who don't believe that 'Plain Catholics' exist will not be satisfied that they have made their point but instead keep pushing the issue ? Are you wanting a public confession made from those who do, that they are lieing ? There seems to me to be some 'gotcha' going on here that is not very Christ like. The only person here who identifies themself with that label has wipe the dust off their feet and moved on and this should be quite obvious.

Imo, this is a poor representation of being peacemakers and being known as a peace wing of Christianity. Perhaps this is common within Anabaptism and is at the root of all the splits that go on, I don't know.

Back in September, 2017 a thread began called 'Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists' . Then there was this one 'Do Plain Catholics exist ?' What will the next one be 'Are Catholics Christians ?' Personally I hope not.
Hey, the conversation had actually moved away from "Plain Catholics" until you just now brought it back to the subject again...
Yes, right. I'm to blame. If it moved away from the title than it didn't belong here. But I can count on you, Ken, to push back on many of my thoughts. ;) How about we turn over a new leaf and both try to avoid conflict. I will try, instead of putting you on my 'foes' list until I can.
Sounds like a great idea!
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:31 pm Back in September, 2017 a thread began called 'Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists' . Then there was this one 'Do Plain Catholics exist ?' What will the next one be 'Are Catholics Christians ?' Personally I hope not.
Huh? I don't think the first two have anything at all to do with the third. Let me demonstrate. I think Mennonites are Christians (well, not all Mennonites, that's true of any denomination).

But I do not think that this is a picture of a Mennonite. If I went onto a Catholic site and claimed it was a picture of a Mennonite, I would expect people to push back. I don't think that would vindictive, I think they would simply want to point out that this isn't true.

0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Speaking of resisting :) , I resist that a portion of my OP in the thread 'Speaking Truth In Posts' was used in this thread as part of it's OP when I was talking in that OP on the use of statistics in what we post that cannot be backed up by facts.

Imo, the second post here by Josh could have been used as the OP as neither Max nor I were talking about this topic regarding Plain Catholics. We were talking about the use of statistics in our posts.

Regarding the previous post and 'simply want to point out that this isn't true', imo, we have different opinions on what 'simply' means and when it crosses a line of being vindictive. Hopefully, we all can consider how we go about standing for truth in a way Jesus would approve of. I know I have much to learn in this area.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:13 pm Regarding the previous post and 'simply want to point out that this isn't true', imo, we have different opinions on what 'simply' means and when it crosses a line of being vindictive. Hopefully, we all can consider how we go about standing for truth in a way Jesus would approve of. I know I have much to learn in this area.
I am most certainly trying to do what I think Jesus would approve of. in my experience, bad things happen when untruth is defended and protected and people are dumped on for telling the truth. That's where you see toxic cultures where bad things are swept under the rug.

And that's why I respond when people suggest that I am hating on Catholcs - no, I'm saying that German Baptists and plain Mennonites are not Catholics, that buildings in national parks and open air museums are just that, etc. And I respond when you suggest it is vindictive to tell the truth. It's not. And if you stop acting like it is, I won't have to keep responding to those posts.

But as long as people keep twisting things, I probably will respond.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:47 pmAnd that's why I respond when people suggest that I am hating on Catholcs - no, I'm saying that German Baptists and plain Mennonites are not Catholics, that buildings in national parks and open air museums are just that, etc. And I respond when you suggest it is vindictive to tell the truth. It's not. And if you stop acting like it is, I won't have to keep responding to those posts
Wait, what did I miss? Are plain Catholics building stuff in national parks now?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:55 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:47 pmAnd that's why I respond when people suggest that I am hating on Catholcs - no, I'm saying that German Baptists and plain Mennonites are not Catholics, that buildings in national parks and open air museums are just that, etc. And I respond when you suggest it is vindictive to tell the truth. It's not. And if you stop acting like it is, I won't have to keep responding to those posts
Wait, what did I miss? Are plain Catholics building stuff in national parks now?
Blogs claiming to being run by Plain Catholics have posted pictures of homes, fields, and so on they claim are Plain Catholic homes and farms, but are actually buildings in national parks or open air museums.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:47 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:13 pm Regarding the previous post and 'simply want to point out that this isn't true', imo, we have different opinions on what 'simply' means and when it crosses a line of being vindictive. Hopefully, we all can consider how we go about standing for truth in a way Jesus would approve of. I know I have much to learn in this area.
I am most certainly trying to do what I think Jesus would approve of. in my experience, bad things happen when untruth is defended and protected and people are dumped on for telling the truth. That's where you see toxic cultures where bad things are swept under the rug.

And that's why I respond when people suggest that I am hating on Catholcs - no, I'm saying that German Baptists and plain Mennonites are not Catholics, that buildings in national parks and open air museums are just that, etc. And I respond when you suggest it is vindictive to tell the truth. It's not. And if you stop acting like it is, I won't have to keep responding to those posts.

But as long as people keep twisting things, I probably will respond.
So we disagree. I don't believe it is vindictive to tell the truth but rather the manner in telling the truth can be vindictive. And imo, the continued pursuit of pointing out perceived lies is vindictive. The 'dog with a bone' phrase comes to mind. So, I will not pursue this point any further.
1 x