Do Plain Catholics exist?

General Christian Theology
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Do Plain Catholics exist?

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:48 pm Because like other Protestants, you assume wrongly by misunderstanding or blaming Constantine for this & that when things were from those taught by Apostles. A wise person will try to understand things they clearly don't.
Best to stick with milk.
I’ve been contemplating Constantine lately, he was your typical dictator, but he wasn’t the one who dragged the church down into heresy. The church members did that themselves. He actually made attempts to have them have peace together and accept different views.
He didn’t accuse one side of milk drinking though.
Valerie, can you consider how insulting your “opponents” discredits you?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie:
Can people please let it go????
Valerie,
i have to take responsibility for this latest round. i made a judgement call to post to you on forum rather than privately.
i usually (NOT ALWAYS) stay on open forum. i’m taking responsibility, but not apologizing this time. i realize some seem to have gone after Max from the start, it bothered me, too, i spoke back about it. i was speaking honestly then, and now. as honestly as i’m able.

you were idealizing Max. i wanted to share a minor warning. i didn’t idealize Max, but i encouraged him and defended him when others were .. being aggressive. in my view.

- - - - - - -

Regarding letting things go.
One of your fav topics is EO, i’ve never met EOs, to my knowledge, i’m impressed with your depth of understanding.
i’m not offended. i appreciate your interest in detail in all tooics. You’re willing to study things through.

Not to be critical, you’ve been asked by several to let EO go for all these years. ???

i don’t object to reading about your views. i don’t object to others asking you to refrain.

i mostly ignore these plain Catholic topics, thus, when i posted, it wasn’t a current topic.
i made a judgment call, it renewed unanswered questions. sometimed that happens, not always.

i always look forward to your posts. regardless of spellcheck. :lol:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:05 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:51 am
Valerie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:48 pm Our dear Orthodox friend tried to teach here and received the same ill treatment so it is not unique to Max.
I wonder why it wasn't well accepted for your Orthodox friend to try to teach EO teachings on a Mennonite forum... :roll:
Teach=Proselytize.
Enough said.
i’m glad admin+mods allow “others,” which, so far, includes me, even if not joyfully. :mrgreen:
On this forum, central interest is Anabaptism, from new members’ intro posts, the majority interest is CM.

“others” drive discussion.

What i find most valuable is reading real life, real time, CM response to EVERYTHING, from pies+cakes to Gaza.
This “fleshes out” how the faith is lived. It’s not purist or encyclopedic. It’s not a single fellowship.

i’m glad for how admin+mods manage things. It can SEEM like a free for all. It’s not. It’s subjective and imperfect.
i don’t expect perfection on earth. not even on MN.

In antiquity, when i was in public school, our teachers would often counsel, “you will get as much out of this material as you put in.”
Advice that has stood the test of time.

“Where Mennonites ‘and others’ connect.”
2 little words may have added the “secret sauce” that has kept the forum operating.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Regarding the “Rosarians of the Poor Christ” website, it is a lot of speculation about movement that never happened:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120118060 ... gspot.com/

Lots of rural and agrarian and simple living Catholics exist. They just don’t call themselves Amish or Plain.

Nonetheless, the blog above does have a picture of Amish people working a field. It comes from here:

https://amishamerica.com/amish-in-montc ... -michigan/

There is no evidence these people are Catholic in any way whatsoever. Overall, this blog talks a lot about how great plain people are… but the rest of it is posting YouTubes or political material.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

If so many of us want to let this topic die, then what is prohibiting this thread from being closed ? Since Max and I were made to be the originators in the first post (which we were not) and certainly not with this title, then I would request this thread be closed. I really don't care to appear as the originator of this thread's title. Please close this thread.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:44 pm If so many of us want to let this topic die, then what is prohibiting this thread from being closed ? Since Max and I were made to be the originators in the first post (which we were not) and certainly not with this title, then I would request this thread be closed. I really don't care to appear as the originator of this thread's title. Please close this thread.
I agree with Sudsy. Close and delete this thread please.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

As long as claims keep being made the Plain Catholics exist, I think it’s good for this thread to remain open. In particular, any such discussion can be confined to this thread, instead of cluttering up other threads.

If need be, I can open a new thread.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Close if you like, but I request these remain as a record of the argument so that if it emerges again as it eventually will, this can be linked.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:11 pm Close if you like, but I request these remain as a record of the argument so that if it emerges again as it eventually will, this can be linked.
Not all OP requests are granted. i do not guess about admin decisions.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Soloist wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:53 pm
Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:48 pm Because like other Protestants, you assume wrongly by misunderstanding or blaming Constantine for this & that when things were from those taught by Apostles. A wise person will try to understand things they clearly don't.
Best to stick with milk.
I’ve been contemplating Constantine lately, he was your typical dictator, but he wasn’t the one who dragged the church down into heresy. The church members did that themselves. He actually made attempts to have them have peace together and accept different views.
He didn’t accuse one side of milk drinking though.
Valerie, can you consider how insulting your “opponents” discredits you?
It's true though, Anabaptists pride themselves in simple reading, application and obedience to the Gospel. They reject deeper teachings that cannot be "proven" perhaps with more spirituality in understanding or mystery and so the typical response is rejection of it.

So Constantine wanted peace because of a heretic spreading heresy wreaking havock on the Church. Wise move on his part but the idea by Protestants that the Catholics didn't come about until Constantine is clearly wrong. To me that's why it's been helpful to have quotes or teachings by those taught by Apostles so that the false assumptions that these came about after Constantine can show that NO- not everything was written down. But if it goes against the new interpretations of the Protestants (including Anabaptists) then most but not all, refuse to see. I'm not sure where the insult is.
0 x