Speaking Truth in Posts

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Speaking Truth in Posts

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:10 pm
MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:48 pm Matthew 12:36 is particularly attention-grabbing.
So is bolding your posts, which you seem to be doing quite a bit recently. Please discontinue.
I am having to bold certain longer threads in order to follow them visually. Do you have suggestions for methods for aiding my eyesight? I am certainly open to those. Red print is also difficult to read.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:27 am
silentreader wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:04 am Do you believe this desire embraces untruth?
No. I believe it gives us a manner in which to deal with what we believe is not truth as stated 'in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called'. This manner as explained, to me, is indicative of being filled and guided by the Holy Spirit and not allowing our fleshly nature driving our eagerness.
I agree.

But I think that leaves lots of room for asking, directly, if something is true. Or asking for evidence of claims that seem unlikely to be true.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:14 pm
ohio jones wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:10 pm
MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:48 pm Matthew 12:36 is particularly attention-grabbing.
So is bolding your posts, which you seem to be doing quite a bit recently. Please discontinue.
I am having to bold certain longer threads in order to follow them visually. Do you have suggestions for methods for aiding my eyesight? I am certainly open to those. Red print is also difficult to read.
Try increasing the font size on your monitor. In Google Chrome click the box with three lines in the upper right hand corner. Then click Zoom, like this:

0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:14 pm Do you have suggestions for methods for aiding my eyesight?
Have you tried enlarging the font size on your display? "Ctrl +" in Windows, for example.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:23 pm
MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:14 pm Do you have suggestions for methods for aiding my eyesight?
Have you tried enlarging the font size on your display? "Ctrl +" in Windows, for example.
Good idea and I did try that but on a phone it becomes difficult in the longer threads to try to follow what each person said because of the scrolling. I may have to change to a different color but red is difficult. Perhaps a bolded blue? This might take some experimentation.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:25 pm
ohio jones wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:23 pm
Good idea and I did try that but on a phone it becomes difficult in the longer threads to try to follow what each person said because of the scrolling. I may have to change to a different color but red is difficult. Perhaps a bolded blue? This might take some experimentation.
Zooming in on a phone is even easier. You can go to your Accessibility Settings, pick Vision, and then change a global zoom level for your whole phone.

Or you can just zoom in and out in your web browser. This works on either Android or Apple phones. Here is how to do it on Apple:

You could also try using a magnifying glass or else getting a bigger phone.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:16 pm
Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:27 am
silentreader wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:04 am Do you believe this desire embraces untruth?
No. I believe it gives us a manner in which to deal with what we believe is not truth as stated 'in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called'. This manner as explained, to me, is indicative of being filled and guided by the Holy Spirit and not allowing our fleshly nature driving our eagerness.
I agree.

But I think that leaves lots of room for asking, directly, if something is true. Or asking for evidence of claims that seem unlikely to be true.
I don't have issue with the asking. But if a person decides not to provide evidence, then, imo, that is their right. If the sight police make a rule that one can't make statements that do not have to be backed up with evidence, then I guess we all need to obey that rule. But as far as I know, no rule of that sort exists that statements made here must be backed up with evidence that they are true.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:09 pm I don't have issue with the asking. But if a person decides not to provide evidence, then, imo, that is their right. If the sight police make a rule that one can't make statements that do not have to be backed up with evidence, then I guess we all need to obey that rule. But as far as I know, no rule of that sort exists that statements made here must be backed up with evidence that they are true.
I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about that. Other forum members can expect it, though, and then point out if someone keeps making statements with no evidence at all.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Nor have the sight police made any rules that I'm aware of prohibiting us from asking questions when posters make claims for which we don't see any evidence.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:14 pm
Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:09 pm I don't have issue with the asking. But if a person decides not to provide evidence, then, imo, that is their right. If the sight police make a rule that one can't make statements that do not have to be backed up with evidence, then I guess we all need to obey that rule. But as far as I know, no rule of that sort exists that statements made here must be backed up with evidence that they are true.
I don't think there's a hard and fast rule about that. Other forum members can expect it, though, and then point out if someone keeps making statements with no evidence at all.
I'll keep that in mind when reading your posts and you mine. :)

Unless, of course, we precede the statements with something that indicates it is our opinion or guess or 'this source indicates' or some wording that we are not stating truth that is backed up by facts that we know cannot be challenged, right ?

Imo, there is a considerable amount of what is presented as truth on the Internet that we should not use as truth unless we know all the particulars of how that truth is determined. Not how they say it was determined either. Sometimes, it seems to me, that some have decided that certain sources must be telling the truth and they have put their faith in these sources to be always speaking the truth. Some sources are quite impressive with all their charts and diagrams but are they based on true data ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit