Alistair Begg: You should go to a transsexual wedding

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Alistair Begg: You should go to a transsexual wedding

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:46 am
Ken wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:40 am Let's be accurate. In the verse you are referring to, he wept at a death, not a marriage.
Such a false "marriage" represents a spiritual death for both parties involved.
Maybe, maybe not. The scriptures do not address that issue directly.

But Jesus only wept at actual funerals. Otherwise he spent time hanging out with sinners, not crying at them. And when it came to weddings he was the life of the party, producing the wine. Enormous quantities of it.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:58 pm Maybe, maybe not. The scriptures do not address that issue directly.

But Jesus only wept at actual funerals. Otherwise he spent time hanging out with sinners, not crying at them. And when it came to weddings he was the life of the party, producing the wine. Enormous quantities of it.
I don't have a lot of hills I plan to die on, but one of them is that Jesus would not have participated in the farce of gay weddings or (in this case) a transsexual wedding. He would have found ways to reach the tax-gatherers, sinners, drunkards, and harlots who might be participating in such things.

Or even the Pharisees, rich people, wealthy people, and experts in the religious law who no doubt attend such "weddings" in our present day.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:58 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:46 am
Ken wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:40 am Let's be accurate. In the verse you are referring to, he wept at a death, not a marriage.
Such a false "marriage" represents a spiritual death for both parties involved.
Maybe, maybe not. The scriptures do not address that issue directly.

But Jesus only wept at actual funerals.
Whose funeral was Luke 19:41-44?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

His own?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:31 pmHis own?
I think Ken just let his keyboard get out ahead of his brain that time...
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

“Jesus wept” are widely recognized the most profound words ever uttered.
The depth should not be cheapened by some low brow internet verbal contest, but remembered with humility and gratitude.

The words are a gift to believers. A glimpse of inspiration.

This article below respectfully explores the occasions Jesus wept/lamented, and how this affects believers’ understanding.
Different papers have been written, this may not be the best.

Answers in Genesis / Why Did Jesus Weep?
https://answersingenesis.org/jesus/why-did-jesus-weep/
It ends with:
May we have a heart like His!

When we read John 11:35, the shortest verse in the English Bible, we are often struck with the humanity of Jesus.
Perhaps we can now also view this verse in a different light and consider the deity of Jesus.

Jesus, as God incarnate, was weeping at the hardness of people’s hearts and the sin around him.
Jesus was weeping that mankind was still under the curse of death and that the last enemy of mankind was not yet defeated

But Jesus was not powerless; He had the power to overcome death, and through His death, burial, and Resurrection He has likewise made believers more than conquerors over sin and death (Romans 6:9–1; 8:37). We look forward to that blessed hope (Titus 2:13) that when Christ comes, we shall be made alive with Him (1 Corinthians 15:22). Through faith in Christ, we can look forward to an eternity one day where He will wipe away all tears and there will be no more sorrow (Revelation 21:4).

But while we are still here on this earth, struggling with death and sorrow, we must lay aside every weight, and the sin that does so easily beset us, (Hebrews 12:1). Let us follow our Lord’s example and rightly weep over the things that make Him weep. May we resolve to have a contrite spirit in regard to our own sin (Psalm 51:17; Isaiah 66:2), and may we have a burden for those who are lost.

May we have a heart like His!
i don’t interpret “Jesus wept” as “weeping+wailing,” but as quiet, dignified, authentic pain that might result in a quiet falling tear.

there are numbers of situations today in which it’s not possible to imagine Jesus would not weep.

i’m grateful for silentreader’s message to Valerie:
silentreader wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:14 pm You realize that weeping may be the best testimony in this case.
It may not touch anyone who is fully hardened or one whom God has "given over" to a mind devoid of reason,
but it still may reach someone.
Last edited by temporal1 on Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:29 pm
OK, there is another example of Jesus weeping that isn't the common one cited from John. I stand corrected.

In the verse you cite he seemed mostly concerned about the general state of Jerusalem. When he entered the city gates he went straight to the temple and chased out the money lenders. Does that mean Jesus would weep if he attended a wedding involving a money-lender? Maybe you can leap to that conclusion but it isn't supported by the text.

I'm simply taking issue with the notion upstream that Jesus would have wept at a gay marriage. There is nothing in the Bible to support this notion. I think we are on very shaky ground to suggest Jesus would have done this or that thing in circumstances not described in the Gospels. If there is one constant in the Gospels, it is that Jesus constantly surprises, especially when he communicates to those who believe that they are the most righteous. But he did spend a lot of time hanging out with those who were on the outside of "polite" society.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:55 pm
OK, there is another example of Jesus weeping that isn't the common one cited from John. I stand corrected.

In the verse you cite he seemed mostly concerned about the general state of Jerusalem. When he entered the city gates he went straight to the temple and chased out the money lenders. Does that mean Jesus would weep if he attended a wedding involving a money-lender? Maybe you can leap to that conclusion but it isn't supported by the text.

I'm simply taking issue with the notion upstream that Jesus would have wept at a gay marriage. There is nothing in the Bible to support this notion. I think we are on very shaky ground to suggest Jesus would have done this or that thing in circumstances not described in the Gospels. If there is one constant in the Gospels, it is that Jesus constantly surprises, especially when he communicates to those who believe that they are the most righteous. But he did spend a lot of time hanging out with those who were on the outside of "polite" society.
Well, he certainly would not have endorsed it. He may have saved the participants from the penalty they justly deserved under the law, but he surely, just as the woman taken in adultery, would have told them to go forth and sin no more.

There is a difference between a money changer who could have carried out his business without sinning.

It is impossible for a wedding of this nature to have not had as its source sin.

Even creating a transexual is forbidden, the result is exclusion from Israel's religious life:

Deut 23:1 He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord.

I won't bore you with the verses on transvestitism. Suffice to say, he could minister to them, but not endorse their sin.
2 x
:hug:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:20 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:55 pm

Well, he certainly would not have endorsed it. He may have saved the participants from the penalty they justly deserved under the law, but he surely, just as the woman taken in adultery, would have told them to go forth and sin no more.

There is a difference between a money changer who could have carried out his business without sinning.

It is impossible for a wedding of this nature to have not had as its source sin.

Even creating a transexual is forbidden, the result is exclusion from Israel's religious life:

Deut 23:1 He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord.

I won't bore you with the verses on transvestitism. Suffice to say, he could minister to them, but not endorse their sin.
Usury is a sin too. But without charging interest, no one would ever loan any money. And there would certainly be no "money lenders"

None of us actually know how Jesus would have reacted to a gay wedding. To claim otherwise is to put words into Jesus' mouth that are simply not there. One thing we do know. He tended to surprise people with his responses. And he especially annoyed religious authorities. He seemed to save his harshest criticisms for the self-righteous and religious authorities.

You are free to your interpretations as am I. But to claim that Jesus would have wept is a stretch.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

That’s flatly untrue. Someone loaned me to buy a pickup a few years ago. It was repaid without interest. He did not charge me any.

Likewise I have made many loans to other people without levying interest.
1 x