Alistair Begg: You should go to a transsexual wedding

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Alistair Begg: You should go to a transsexual wedding

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:02 pm Interesting. Parkside Church dropped the use of NIV after the new one came out and our bookstore sells a lot of Bibles but removed NIV. Our Church uses ESV.
Reformed churches tend to prefer the ESV; there’s a joke it means “Elect Standard Version”.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:40 pm
Valerie wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:02 pm Interesting. Parkside Church dropped the use of NIV after the new one came out and our bookstore sells a lot of Bibles but removed NIV. Our Church uses ESV.
Reformed churches tend to prefer the ESV; there’s a joke it means “Elect Standard Version”.
Personally it is not my translation of choice. Before we started there it was the older NIV they used. I
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

I think those who have been made to feel like hard 1hearted pharisees for not agreeing with Pastor Beggs counsel will appreciate this- I agree 100%, and think it is a wonderful response and I hope he is open to considering it. I imagine this is the first time he's been hit this hard.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... bad-advic/
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Valerie wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:28 am I think those who have been made to feel like hard 1hearted pharisees for not agreeing with Pastor Beggs counsel will appreciate this- I agree 100%, and think it is a wonderful response and I hope he is open to considering it. I imagine this is the first time he's been hit this hard.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... bad-advic/
Right on.
Let us not sugarcoat it. Your presence as a Christian speaks volumes at an LGBT wedding, but not because the gay-affirming wedding party is blown away by your showing up. Instead, your presence signifies that they have persuaded another Christian to (in some small way) embrace inclusivity despite any pressures or convictions.
Do you remain silent when the wedding officiant asks if anyone objects to this marriage? If you do, are you indicating your approval to the couple and everyone in attendance? When the couple kiss and are announced married, do you smile and cheer? When everyone raises a glass to the couple, do you raise yours in solidarity?
1 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I think the title of this thread would more accurately capture Mr. Begg's advice if it took into account this was his counsel to a single situation. I don't think he was offering a formula for all believers and all such weddings.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:47 am I think the title of this thread would more accurately capture Mr. Begg's advice if it took into account this was his counsel to a single situation. I don't think he was offering a formula for all believers and all such weddings.
And he decided to share his counsel for that situation with the entire world. If he’d like to offer opposite advice for a different situation, he is welcome to do so.
1 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:11 am
barnhart wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:47 am I think the title of this thread would more accurately capture Mr. Begg's advice if it took into account this was his counsel to a single situation. I don't think he was offering a formula for all believers and all such weddings.
And he decided to share his counsel for that situation with the entire world. If he’d like to offer opposite advice for a different situation, he is welcome to do so.
My heart is still heavy about this, not only for his counsel but his defense message titled "Compassion vs Condemnation". While his message to give understanding about why that counsel helps understand "him" and he IS such a kind man, a pastor took a poll as to which message was worse. His original or his 2nd in defense of his view. 88,% from the poll believe his second message is even worse. I understand why-
Did anything "good" come out of this? I believe so in that because of this there have been many articles, youtubes of discussions between pastors etc. that I do find encouraging to see where the we heart of the American church at least is at.
0 x