Experts Confirm Genesis 19, Biblical City Destroyed by Explosion 1,000 Times Larger Than Atomic Bomb

General Christian Theology
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Experts Confirm Genesis 19, Biblical City Destroyed by Explosion 1,000 Times Larger Than Atomic Bomb

Post by Neto »

Soloist wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:59 pm Wife: The examples I can see in the Bible where something good comes out of sin would include Solomon's reign of peace, which largely happened because of his 300 wives and 700 concubines. It was nice though while it lasted. Also, Paul mentioned that many preached Christ out of envy, and to cause him trouble, but Christ still was preached. then the end of the sermon on the mount mentions
Mat 7:22 (verseid:40.7.22)  On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’
Mat 7:23 (verseid:40.7.23)  And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
I assume from that that they really did cast out demons, and too many mighty works in God’s name, but God was still displeased by them.

Then I'm not going to find the reference for this right now, but I know in Psalms, David complains about how he is faithful to God, and suffers for it, while the wicked seem to prosper and be blessed in all their doings, and then he sees their end and realizes that it's not all about prosperity right now.

Now for modern day examples, there are plenty of do gutters around the world that don't follow God. They might be drilling wells, or doing other things with secular organizations, or with random cults or other religions. like at my old Gleaners group, which was good for the community, and that it provided people, food, and work, you would have to be careful not to say anything against Mormonism, because everybody thought Mormons were such great people who did a lot of good and volunteered, which they do, but I would still consider their doctrine heretical. My mom was briefly a JW and then briefly a Mormon because of prison ministry and other stuff like that which we would think is good. thanks to all of this, she's basically a Universalist at this point.
Also, there are a lot of health benefits to being Hindu, for example, partly from diet, and partly from meditation, and you hear about those monks that are either Hindu or Buddhist that can control their blood pressure and heart rate, which seems like a good thing. Still doesn't justify following false gods, but that is probably one of the many reasons why so many people from Christian backgrounds seem to be drawn into that stuff nowadays, like my cousin, the Christian Buddhist. I personally don't think it's wrong to listen to and meditate on the Scriptures for example, but I don't think I would feel comfortable getting my tips on how best to do it from Hindu or Buddhist practices.

I've also heard the same argument to support female pastors, and all sorts of other things that go against the Bible, because the ends justify the means.

As for my family experience with dowsing, I don't know if it ever caused an issue for my grandfather or not (he died when I was 17), but I do know that my dad and several of his siblings were really into this crazy chiropractor who did do all the pendulum and other stuff like that, and one of my aunts who professes Christianity is into a bunch of weird new agey stuff, and claims that her daughter had to quit being a masseuse (at that same chiropractor) because she was too much of an empath and absorbed other peoples bad energy (judging from the symptoms, it sounds a lot like the joint pain and wrist pain I get from stuff like massaging my husband). I said go on about my dad, grandma, and dad's other siblings, but it would be a pretty long post if I did. our family seemed to be really into some weird stuff.

Probably some of that has absolutely nothing to do with grandpa's previous choices to practice dowsing, although I do think some of the openness with that weird chiropractor probably does, as well as obsession with angels and near death experiences and mysticism, but all I'm saying is that you don't see the consequences of different compromises and choices immediately.
that said, it didn’t seem all that clear what you meant by how the Bonawa did it/whether they were dowsing or what. Obviously, maybe science hasn’t caught up, but their attempts to re-create it haven’t worked, and there’s no evidence as of yet why it would work for water with either wood or metal rods, or work for any of the other things people use it for, like oil or minerals. I don’t think it’s actually mentioned as being used by either Moses or Abraham, and somebody would have to extrapolate quite a bit to get that, but if it does work, and it has no scientific reason to work and only seems to work with people who have the gift and the faith for it, it would make sense that there might be a supernatural reason, and we would want to know who was behind that. I’m not saying this to condemn people you know who have done it, because I don’t know how God feels about people doing it ignorantly, but I still would not be comfortable doing it, or having it done for me.
Thank you for your thoughts and comments.
What I said about the Banawa was a description of shamanism. I was attempting to point out the lack of any ritual, reverence, or admiration directed toward the object in the hands of the water searcher, in contrast to the procedures and rituals followed by the Banawa shaman. The one is full of spiritism, the other completely devoid of any suggestion of such.

We were already members of our current congregation when the guidelines were changed, to include what was really a statement of doctrine, mixed in with the normal things you expect to find in the conduct statement of a plain congregation. That paragraph lumped "water witching" in with things like reflexiology, tarrot cards, the owiji board, drawing pain etc. Included in the list of references was one from the OT which mentioned a piece of wood used to make an idol, while the rest of the same log was used to make a cooking fire, presumably with the thought that it somehow related to the use of a piece of wood to find water. I submitted a suggested wording to make it an agreement to abstain from all participation in water searching by that method, both as direct participation as the searcher, and also agreeing not to have anyone do it one's own behalf. Although that was not accepted, that is what I am living by, and so I would not make use of a water searcher's services. In my own mind and by my convictions, I remain a member of the congregation because I am living by the agreement I made when we joined there, and to the greatest extent possible by the standards as they rewrote them. I have not been asked to recommit to them as they currently stand, and I could not, because it would be a lie for me to do so.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Experts Confirm Genesis 19, Biblical City Destroyed by Explosion 1,000 Times Larger Than Atomic Bomb

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:43 am I'm not comfortable with the line of reasoning that says the devil is not capable of doing good therefore anything good is of God. It reminds me of people I have known who talked themselves into things they previously knew to be wrong because it seemed right. For example leaving a spouse for another that God miraculously brought into their path. I'm not sure we are wise enough to always know what is good.
I think we generally are wise enough to know the difference between good and evil.

Humans are very good at rationalizing evil or bad choices which is what you are talking about. But that is all it is, rationalization.

There are rare instances when people might be faced with a difficult choice between two paths that both have bad consequences and are forced to choose the lesser evil. Such as in times of war. But those are exceedingly rare and challenging decisions that most of us never face in our daily lives. And even then, one generally inherently knows what the right decision is, even if it is a hard one. For example, lying to the police if you are sheltering a refugee during a time of genocide.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

barnhart wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:43 am I'm not comfortable with the line of reasoning that says the devil is not capable of doing good therefore anything good is of God. It reminds me of people I have known who talked themselves into things they previously knew to be wrong because it seemed right. For example leaving a spouse for another that God miraculously brought into their path. I'm not sure we are wise enough to always know what is good.
I don't know if the devil is actually INCAPABLE of doing anything good, but I do not find any record in Scripture of any such act. In contrast, he is described as a liar and a destroyer.

From the 'therefore' on, I don't think I said that, but as you point out, the key is the definition of 'good', and who is making the definition.

My struggle with the idea that Satan does no good started years ago, in a different context (that is, nothing to do with water searching). I wish I could find the book, or recall the author's name, but I cannot, in spite of the fact that I corresponded with him about the question of whether Satan ever casts out his own demons, because that's what it looked like was happening when a shaman removes a curse. In my best understanding now, what I think is happening is as I described in respect to Banawa shamanism - that the evil spirit is removed from one person, yes, but then kept in reserve to be used to perform future curses. There is no rebuke of the spirit, no punishment. And, it all serves to further enslave ALL concerned, the shaman, the "cured" person, and all those whose fear of the shaman and the evil spirits working in him has now been confirmed and increased. Everyone saw the power that was demonstrated. Then at some point I held that one question in mind, as I read through the Scripture, from Genesis through the book of the Revelation. I found no suggestion anywhere that Satan ever had the good of any person at heart. (Maybe that's a better way of saying what I meant when I said that Satan did no good thing.)

I'll let the others get back to the atomic bomb now.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

What about throwing a stick into water and making an iron axe head float to the top? Was that of the devil?

But it happened that as one of them was cutting down a beam, the axe head fell into the water; and he cried out and said, "Oh, my master! It was borrowed! Then the man of God said, "Where did it fall?" And when he showed him the place, he cut off a stick and threw it in there, and made the iron float. [2Ki 6:5,6 NASB20]
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Joy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:08 am What about throwing a stick into water and making an iron axe head float to the top? Was that of the devil?

But it happened that as one of them was cutting down a beam, the axe head fell into the water; and he cried out and said, "Oh, my master! It was borrowed! Then the man of God said, "Where did it fall?" And when he showed him the place, he cut off a stick and threw it in there, and made the iron float. [2Ki 6:5,6 NASB20]
No, that was a miracle.

Can you explain what your definition of divination is?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Joy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:08 am What about throwing a stick into water and making an iron axe head float to the top? Was that of the devil?

Wife: Oh, that was pretty nifty, but I don’t think Elisha was having the guy use the stick holding the two prongs on the forked side and having it point in front of him while he was walking through the water till it pointed down. I would be rather impressed if someone could throw a stick and make metal float on water nowadays. They would have a pretty awesome TV show about it I’m sure, and many lost keys would be found. I’d hate to be a dog trying to fetch that stick though when the ax head pops up.

Supernatural, yes. Witchcraft, no.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Joy

Post by Joy »

RZehr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:44 am

No, that was a miracle.

Can you explain what your definition of divination is?
Just so you know, I am neither defending dowsing nor condemning it, as I don't know enough about it to pass judgment on it. This argument--excuse me, debate--just brought to mind the story of the prophet and the axe head. Why did he use a stick instead of simply commanding the axe head to float to the top?

I haven't used the word divination. ?
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Joy

Post by Joy »

Soloist wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 am

Wife: Oh, that was pretty nifty, but I don’t think Elisha was having the guy use the stick holding the two prongs on the forked side and having it point in front of him while he was walking through the water till it pointed down. I would be rather impressed if someone could throw a stick and make metal float on water nowadays. They would have a pretty awesome TV show about it I’m sure, and many lost keys would be found. I’d hate to be a dog trying to fetch that stick though when the ax head pops up.

Just seeing the similarities.

My dogs would've certainly dived in to retrieve the stick and gotten clobbered while they fought over it. I would have had to tell them, "Don't blame me--I didn't ax you to do that." :lol: [Pardon my Southern accent.]
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Joy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:45 pm
Soloist wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 am

Just seeing the similarities.

My dogs would've certainly dived in to retrieve the stick and gotten clobbered while they fought over it. I would have had to tell them, "Don't blame me--I didn't ax you to do that." :lol: [Pardon my Southern accent.]
Wife: Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive. I just thought it was a funny thought, so it was sort of an off the cuff response without thought as to how it might be perceived. For not being very flexible, my foot ends up in my mouth a little too often. :oops:

I don't know that people ignorantly doing it are sinning per se, and as Soloist mentioned at some point, my dad and grandpa fed me a bunch of scientific mumbo jumbo and said that's what moses did and so I was walking around the backyard trying my best to find a water pipe and failing miserably. I still think when you actually look into the background of it, there have been several studies done showing no scientific explanation behind it and the inability to reproduce it, and there's way too much association with the occult and other religions for me to feel comfortable with it. Given some of the weird beliefs my dad is into, and how much obsession there was at Grandma and Grandpa's with stuff like "Touched by an Angel", and all the stories about going to heaven and back, as well as being perfectly ok with living with women (the first girlfriend after mom was extra weird and into new agey stuff, horoscopes, ect ). I don't personally know anyone well who's tried dowsing outside of my family, so I don't know if everyone else is as weird as them. After a conversation with my dad, it seems like the only people in our world going to hell are Muslims and certain politicians.

Back when we had an autistic boy, we were at one point dealing with a naturopath who was suggesting all sorts of random tests/ect, and the weekend before we were going to take him in for one, we listened to a sermon on occult/eastern religion in medicine and the Christian's response, and after looking at her website and all the stuff she promoted (using words about good/bad energy, ect and a lot of really random stuff), we decided to skip it and we don't regret it. We aren't trying to hate on dowsing unfairly, but it does seem like, from numerous studies, there is no scientific explanation for it, many pagan religions practiced it, and I think it's safer to stay away from it.

I don't think it was the stick that made it bad, just like Moses raising a stick to part the red sea wasn't bad, but if he waved it around saying, "Avadacadavra," or doing some pagan ritual to find it, I would be more concerned. Its where someone gets their power from.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Joy

Post by Joy »

Nothing offensive in your post. :hug:

I stay away from stuff like that because I don't know what's going on with it. But as I say, I don't condemn it, for the same reason.
1 x