The Nature of God - A Chabad Hasidic View

General Christian Theology
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

The Nature of God - A Chabad Hasidic View

Post by Neto »

Not a long article, but I would like to hear what parts of this you all would or would not accept.

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_ ... nt=content

(I didn't go looking for this. Around 12 years ago I joined a discussion forum run by Orthodox Jews. You know how the internet works - through that "connection" this website "found me", and I get regular emails from them, and their stuff also appears in my FB feed.)

Of particular interest to me in this article, and in relation to my question for you all here, is the comment made about The Shema (God is One.)

In the first part of the section titled
G‑d Is One (The Shema)
“Hear O Israel, YHVH is our G‑d, YHVH is one.”

The author says:
You might think this just means that there’s only one G‑d. But that’s not what it says. It says G‑d is totally one.
In simple words: G‑d is not made of parts. Neither is He an idea that encapsulates many ideas. Neither does He occupy space. Neither does He change over time.
And if you are looking for a parallel of some sort to grasp this, there is none.
Here is how Maimonides, the great codifier of Jewish law, describes the oneness of G‑d:
God is one. He is not two or more, but one, singular in a way unlike the oneness of any singularity that is found in the world.
He is not one like a general category, which includes many individual entities.
He is not one like a body, which is divided into different parts and dimensions.
Rather, He is singular in such a way that there exists no singularity like His in the world.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.