Backsliding as a Believer

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Backsliding as a Believer

Post by Sudsy »

This is a thread to share your views regarding what 'backsliding' means to you as a Christian. Personal testimonies and related beliefs on this subject are welcomed. How did you fall into backsliding ? How did you come out of this backsliding ? Do you consider your current state as a backslidden state ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Backsliding as a Believer

Post by steve-in-kville »

I think there are different levels... I think there is such a thing as living in sin, which is worse than backsliding. And I think we need to keep in mind that if a person decides to not hold on to certain practices or applications, that is not backsliden, IMO.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:40 am I think there are different levels... I think there is such a thing as living in sin, which is worse than backsliding. And I think we need to keep in mind that if a person decides to not hold on to certain practices or applications, that is not backsliden, IMO.
To the underlined - I agree, it could be frontsliding (growing spiritually) to drop some practises and applications.

To your first comment - do you think the story of the prodigal son to be an example of being a backslider ? Wasn't he 'living in sin' during his time away from home ?
0 x
steve-in-kville

Sudsy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:42 pm
To your first comment - do you think the story of the prodigal son to be an example of being a backslider ? Wasn't he 'living in sin' during his time away from home ?
Good question.

I heard it once explained that backsliding is a spiritual condition with outward results.
0 x

steve-in-kville

When it comes to using the term backsliding, I think we need to use some caution before throwing that term around. Many years ago, a young lady (who is now my SIL) moved to another state when she was in her early 20’s. Her dad was a popular Mennonite preacher at the time and her, being the only daughter, caught a lot of criticism from her mom because of it: her dress patterns, covering size, etc. She felt she was never good enough and it began to have an effect on her mental health, She had an opportunity to move in with a cousin in another state and she took it.

Anyways, the parents deemed her rebellious and the term “backsliding” got thrown around, but kept her head up. Anyways, a few months after moving she was diagnosed with cancer. Her family immediately jumped on the bandwagon that this was God punishing her for her backsliding and she needed to repent and so on. So basically she took another mental/emotional beating on top of a situation she was trying get away from. It was really sad to watch.

Thankfully, the cancer was operatable, and she has had a clean bill of health since.
0 x

Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:35 am When it comes to using the term backsliding, I think we need to use some caution before throwing that term around. Many years ago, a young lady (who is now my SIL) moved to another state when she was in her early 20’s. Her dad was a popular Mennonite preacher at the time and her, being the only daughter, caught a lot of criticism from her mom because of it: her dress patterns, covering size, etc. She felt she was never good enough and it began to have an effect on her mental health, She had an opportunity to move in with a cousin in another state and she took it.

Anyways, the parents deemed her rebellious and the term “backsliding” got thrown around, but kept her head up. Anyways, a few months after moving she was diagnosed with cancer. Her family immediately jumped on the bandwagon that this was God punishing her for her backsliding and she needed to repent and so on. So basically she took another mental/emotional beating on top of a situation she was trying get away from. It was really sad to watch.

Thankfully, the cancer was operatable, and she has had a clean bill of health since.
I agree steve. To me this gets into judging the spiritual state of others and I believe none of us are perfect 'fruit inspectors'.

I believe the most direct way we know we are backsliding is when we are open to and lead by the Holy Spirit. That doesn't mean He might use another believer in guiding us but I also believe there are Christians who think they are being Spirit guided because they speak in tongues or have some special revelations and they too are being mislead by their own spirit that is not intune with the Holy Spirit to give others guidance.

One thing I believe we can and should do is to come along side a brother or sister who we think may be backsliding and encourage them in the Lord by our living and concern and seek to be used by the Spirit to be used of Him with the words that the Spirit wants used. But we should consider what the Spirit is saying to us first about where our own lives are not reflecting Jesus ways.

Just saying that because any of us could be backsliding in various ways, we should focus on ourselves first and our relationship with God so we can be used of Him as He would chose to use us. There is a lot of religious finger pointing that goes on and especially it can get to be a real problem in the very strict church groups. I grew up in one that had this problem to a degree and it, too, chased away some that might have stayed if other Christians treated them with the love of Jesus who spoke about going out to find the lost sheep and bringing them back into the fold. So key that we learn to be Spirit guided and this is not just automatic because we are a Christian.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

To the underlined - I agree, it could be frontsliding (growing spiritually) to drop some practises and applications.
Yes, certainly. To stop practicing drunkenness, to stop the practice of staying at home instead of gathering with the believers, to stop the practice of gossip or evil speaking - all of these are practices that ought to be dropped and if done for the right reasons would be consistent with spiritual growth.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:11 pm
Yes, certainly. To stop practicing drunkenness, to stop the practice of staying at home instead of gathering with the believers, to stop the practice of gossip or evil speaking - all of these are practices that ought to be dropped and if done for the right reasons would be consistent with spiritual growth.
Regarding the 'staying at home instead of gathering with the believers', the earliest gatherings were in homes and in many cases still are today. I, personally, would consider the gathering of believers today is also done over the Internet, as this forum is. What I think is most important is whether or not one's current gathering with other believers, no matter the size or means of these gatherings, is resulting in one's spiritual growth.

Many faithful church building goers will admit to not growing spiritually. In NT times there was no means other than to gather by physical presence or to gather by spirit. And I know some would argue that the physical gathering in a building has a spiritual growth dimension that other means do not. Myself, I would argue, it could but did it for those who are not regular church building attenders ? I do agree we need to assemble but not convinced that going to the same building once a week is key to spiritual growth. If it matters to one's spiritual growth, than by all means, continue.
0 x