The Didache: Your Thoughts

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: The Didache: Your Thoughts

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:46 pm
Not available online. Too long.

One source is a book from the Classics of the Radical Reformation, volume 9. Originally published by Herald press, than by Panorama , it is now published by Plough. It is in print.

Another source is "The Chronicles of the Hutterian Brethren , it is two volumes. You can get volume from Masthoff Press, but they do not have Volume 2. I called up Altona Colony in my effort to find it, they gave me the number of a colony in Manitoba, The confession is in Volume 1.

I think you will find their view of Baptism much the same as my own, maybe more so. At least one colony was "converted" at the point of a sword, Velke Levare was its name. Some resisted unto death. This was from their time in what we now know as Slovakia.
Thank you.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:20 pm

One source is a book from the Classics of the Radical Reformation, volume 9. Originally published by Herald press, than by Panorama , it is now published by Plough. It is in print.

Another source is "The Chronicles of the Hutterian Brethren , it is two volumes. You can get volume from Masthoff Press, but they do not have Volume 2. I called up Altona Colony in my effort to find it, they gave me the number of a colony in Manitoba, The confession is in Volume 1.

I think you will find their view of Baptism much the same as my own, maybe more so. At least one colony was "converted" at the point of a sword, Velke Levare was its name. Some resisted unto death. This was from their time in what we now know as Slovakia.
Thank you.
Riderman is best known for a poem, "Love is Like Fire."

The colony, Velke Levare, can still be visited. There is a long story behind it. the Habians as they came to be called, were able to keep their communal lifestyle , with their own Catholic Church, presided over by a priest, chosen from their number, The landowners wanted them to stay, Maria Theresa wanted her entire realm to be catholic. I just wonder what form of catholicism was preached when no one was looking. They stayed together until the 1960s. I visited this place years ago, it is really I the Slovakian backwoods. There are others like it.
0 x
:hug:
Falco Knotwise
Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:42 pm Since fasting was brought up, I wonder what the variations are represented here regarding this topic. The Didache certainly teaches that fasting was a common practise amongst early believers and Jesus said 'when you fast', not 'if you fast'. It also seems to me fasting in the NT was about going without food. I have heard it referred to all kinds of things that we can go without during a time of praying over issues. Some use the 1 Cor 7:1-5 text to support this idea.

And some today are so afraid of health issues they don't go without food. But actually, there have been very positive health results from fasting. To me, it boils down to if one's health can be adversely affected then go without something else you do daily - i.e. the Internet and use this time for prayer. Otherwise, if we are NT practise followers of Jesus we should be fasting from food - right ?

https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fasting
It begins -
Did the Mennonites ever have the practice of fasting, as for example the Roman Catholics? It is not very probable that they did; nothing is found about fasting in the writings of their leaders such as Menno Simons and Dirk Philips, though they occasionally insisted on sober eating and drinking, as did also Galenus Abrahamsz, the well-known preacher of Amsterdam, at the close of the 17th century.
So, does your church preach fasting and if so, is it up to the individual Christian to fast as they sense Spirit leading and/or is it a common practise on certain days of the year that everyone in the church is to fast ? When I was a youth in Pentecostalism, fasting was encouraged both in private and practised by the congregation regarding certain prayer issues. It was believed fasting gave 'more weight' to prayers. If it was not a corporate fast but rather an individual fast it was important that no one knew about it.

I found this very worth studying - https://www.cslewisinstitute.org/resour ... tian-life/

Whoops, I see this thread has already begun, my bad. :oops: Old age, I guess. Sorry MaxPC.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6308&p=214408&hilit=fasting#p214408
Sudsy, good link. I wanted to discuss prayer, fasting and almsgiving but the more I get into it, the more I realize it’s way too big a subject to reduce to a few posts on a forum. Dr. Brant Pitre really helped my understanding here. I’m going to just refer to a few very basic principles he provides that helped me to picture it a biblical context. (In my thread on religion & piety)

He also has a book called Introduction to the Spiritual Life. Understanding it all really is a life process, which can’t be reduced to a few words. So, I personally plan on getting the book and then hope to gradually integrate these principles into my own life. Hopefully, to improve my own very poor spiritual life.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:41 pm
MaxPC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:20 pm

Thank you.
Riderman is best known for a poem, "Love is Like Fire."

The colony, Velke Levare, can still be visited. There is a long story behind it. the Habians as they came to be called, were able to keep their communal lifestyle , with their own Catholic Church, presided over by a priest, chosen from their number, The landowners wanted them to stay, Maria Theresa wanted her entire realm to be catholic. I just wonder what form of catholicism was preached when no one was looking. They stayed together until the 1960s. I visited this place years ago, it is really I the Slovakian backwoods. There are others like it.
Interesting, JM. If there is one absolute in Catholic charisms it is that there are no absolutes outside of the Deposit of the Faith. There have been a number of attempts at co-ed and married Catholic communalism. They arise, they dissolve and then the idea is revived again in another place and time. Nothing new under the sun.

Still I find it interesting that the Hutterian colonies have continued for centuries. Perhaps there is a cultural element that acts as a glue?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God