Internet and The Great Commission

General Christian Theology

Are we distracted by internet debates instead of fulfilling The Great Commission?

Poll runs till Wed Apr 30, 2025 12:47 pm

Yes
20%
No
30%
Sometimes
50%

Total votes: 10

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Internet and The Great Commission

Post by MaxPC »

Are we distracted from fulfilling the Great Commission with too many internet debates? Another thread regarding the content of the Gospel is here. Kindly discuss as you feel led. No politics please.

Matthew 28:16-20
16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Internet and The Great Commission

Post by RZehr »

For some, perhaps Mennonet is their way of obeying the Great Commission?
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Some regard the Great Commission as only applicable to the eleven that Jesus was speaking to. Others regard sharing the Gospel as a specific ministry today but only to some called to that ministry. I believe Evangelicals and Evangelical Anabaptists believe all Christians are called to go and make disciples. However, agreeing we all should and doing it are not the same. Some believe they can do it without using words. Romans 10:13,14 says that isn't true.

Yes, imo, many Internet debates are one of many distractions that I am guity of when I could be sharing the Gospel with those close to me that would not spend time in what we debate here. This really challenges me about whether or not I have the heart of Jesus to see sinners become saints. Seems we are often sidetracked by either the goings on in this world (politics, wars, sports, materialism, etc) or about our differences on spiritual things (dress, separation from the world, worship styles, baptisms, evangelism, a pure church, etc). This is especially in conflict with those who believe in eternal torment in hell. How can we say we really care about others to not do whatever we can to keep them from such an eternity. And for those who don't believe in eternal hell but annihilation, how can we be so selfish to not want others to experience heaven with us.

The lack of active involvement in various streams of Christianity, including many Anabaptists, to reach the lost is hard to understand. I know I have lost my zeal and am struggling with various distractions. I can only think if my realtionship with Jesus was as it should be, I would have His desire that none should perish but all should come to repentance.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:47 am Are we distracted from fulfilling the Great Commission with too many internet debates?
This may be true for some. Others can walk and chew gum at the same time. Sometimes discussions here have helped me hone my message and way of communicating. At times, it has added to my burnout and justified(rationalized) my lack of effort in the real world.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.