No votes
I am open to discussing it.
7%

Total votes: 14

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Will Jesus Return?

Post by MaxPC »

Kindly vote and if of a mind to do so, feel free to discuss.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Will Jesus Return?

Post by Josh »

One of the things that Muslims and Christians agree on: Jesus will return and will be a perfect judge, executing justice and judging the righteous and the unrighteous.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I'm with the fundamentalists on this one.
God said it.
I believe it.
That settles it.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

One of the things that Muslims and Christians agree on: Jesus will return and will be a perfect judge,
I have never heard that Muslims think this. Where have you heard this? Just curious. I have always heard they thought he was a good teacher but that was it.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Another option (which I guess is part of #2) is Jesus has already returned in AD70 (Preterism).
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:48 am Another option (which I guess is part of #2) is Jesus has already returned in AD70 (Preterism).
Yes - Jesus never said he couldn't return multiple times. We are simply promised he would have a final return to usher in a physical kingdom and the final judgment.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

QuietlyListening wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:42 am
One of the things that Muslims and Christians agree on: Jesus will return and will be a perfect judge,
I have never heard that Muslims think this. Where have you heard this? Just curious. I have always heard they thought he was a good teacher but that was it.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_eschatology for a good summary. It is basically similar to the story in Revelation. Amongst other things, Jesus will return, judge righteously, flying on a white horse, and then gather all believers unto him. Righteous people who are Christians will be converted to Islam and Jesus would reveal the truth so Christians would feel comfortable accepting Islam. It includes a lot of elements that are obviously copied from Revelation, like Gog & Magog.

Muslims also believe in the virgin birth of Jesus. The five points of Christian fundamentalism are:
The inspiration of the Bible by the Holy Spirit and the inerrancy of Scripture as a result of this.
The virgin birth of Christ.
The belief that Christ's death was an atonement for sin.
The bodily resurrection of Christ.
The historical reality of Christ's miracles.
Muslims believe in 3 of these - they believe in the inerrancy of the Old Testament but not the new. They believe in the virgin birth fully. They don't believe in the resurrection but do believe he was assumed directly into heaven, much as Catholics believe about Mary. They also believe Christ performed miracles.

He is considered to be the greatest of prophets, eclipsed only by Mohammed.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Nevertheless:

Luke 18:8. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?
2 x
:hug: