Fasting: Yes? No? Sometimes?

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Fasting: Yes? No? Sometimes?

Post by MaxPC »

In our world we are coming up on the season of Lent after Christmas. We have a number of days and rules to it, as with anything.

Do you and/or your fellowship practise fasting? Do you define it and designate a day?

Some of the passages that emerge in our readings during Lent are the following:
Philippians 3
17 Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. 18 For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. 20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Re: Fasting: Yes? No? Sometimes?

Post by JayP »

You should check out the Orthodox fasting. They don’t fool around!
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I understand fasting as a private practise as described in Matthew 6:16-18. I don't know how this can be done corporately and still be kept a secret. This text says there is a reward that God gives for private fasting. I tend to think this is not a once a year or specific time of year practise but a practise between ourselves and God as the Spirit leads us.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:38 pm In our world we are coming up on the season of Lent after Christmas.
I've only heard of Lent before Easter. There's more than one Lent?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:55 pm
MaxPC wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:38 pm In our world we are coming up on the season of Lent after Christmas.
I've only heard of Lent before Easter. There's more than one Lent?
Just one between Christmas and Easter.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:11 pm I understand fasting as a private practise as described in Matthew 6:16-18. I don't know how this can be done corporately and still be kept a secret. This text says there is a reward that God gives for private fasting. I tend to think this is not a once a year or specific time of year practise but a practise between ourselves and God as the Spirit leads us.
We have times of corporate fasting such as Fridays in Lent and Good Friday for those whose health is good. We can also fast at other times for our own devotions.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:55 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:11 pm I understand fasting as a private practise as described in Matthew 6:16-18. I don't know how this can be done corporately and still be kept a secret. This text says there is a reward that God gives for private fasting. I tend to think this is not a once a year or specific time of year practise but a practise between ourselves and God as the Spirit leads us.
We have times of corporate fasting such as Fridays in Lent and Good Friday for those whose health is good. We can also fast at other times for our own devotions.
I hope others will join in and give their views and understandings on fasting and perhaps how their church deals with the subject.

I realize in Acts 13 it mentions corporate fasting so it was an early church corporate practise. In my background there wasn't any formal corporate fastings that I recall but there was often a call to prayers with fasting privately for special circumstances as is spoken of in Mark 9:28,29 - "And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out? And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting." This would appear to be saying that prayers are supercharged, so to speak, when accompanied with fasting. Any thoughts on this ?

Some today regard fasting as giving up something, not necessarily food, to put more time into prayer. This could be anything that you do that is for self satisfaction and put that time into prayer. But is this biblical fasting ? Seems to me biblical fasting involves food, yes/no ? Is there NT support to fast something other than food ?

Looking again at Matthew 6 the text my understanding here is about not doing things such as prayer, fasting and giving to act holy before others. Jesus says if this is our motive, whatever recognition we get for this from others is all the reward we will get. God won't reward this practise. So, it isn't about fasting, praying and giving to only do these in private but rather what is behind why we are doing these things. It should not be to impress others with how it is done. If we are tempted to get glory for ourselves in these practises then do them privately and get your reward.

Speaking about praying in this text it seems to me some 'long-winded' prayers we hear in church probably are also about impressing others. Jesus also said lots of words could be that we are 'babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.' One thing I especially appreciate about the Catholic worship is repeating the prayer Jesus gave us to pray - 'Our Father -----'. Is this a common prayer in your Anabaptist church ? I don't recall it being used in corporate prayer when I was in the MB church.

Any replies to my questions would be greatly appreciated. It has been some time since I last fasted as far as food is concerned but I have done 5 day fasts, water only, not for spiritual reasons and got physical benefits from doing this. I need to do this again for physical benefits but should be adding this time to my prayers.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Good questions all, Sudsy. I hope others will chime in with answers as well.
Sudsy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:55 pm
MaxPC wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:55 pm
I hope others will join in and give their views and understandings on fasting and perhaps how their church deals with the subject.

I realize in Acts 13 it mentions corporate fasting so it was an early church corporate practise. In my background there wasn't any formal corporate fastings that I recall but there was often a call to prayers with fasting privately for special circumstances as is spoken of in Mark 9:28,29 - "And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we cast him out? And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting." This would appear to be saying that prayers are supercharged, so to speak, when accompanied with fasting. Any thoughts on this ?

Some today regard fasting as giving up something, not necessarily food, to put more time into prayer. This could be anything that you do that is for self satisfaction and put that time into prayer. But is this biblical fasting ? Seems to me biblical fasting involves food, yes/no ? Is there NT support to fast something other than food ?

Looking again at Matthew 6 the text my understanding here is about not doing things such as prayer, fasting and giving to act holy before others. Jesus says if this is our motive, whatever recognition we get for this from others is all the reward we will get. God won't reward this practise. So, it isn't about fasting, praying and giving to only do these in private but rather what is behind why we are doing these things. It should not be to impress others with how it is done. If we are tempted to get glory for ourselves in these practises then do them privately and get your reward.

Speaking about praying in this text it seems to me some 'long-winded' prayers we hear in church probably are also about impressing others. Jesus also said lots of words could be that we are 'babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.' One thing I especially appreciate about the Catholic worship is repeating the prayer Jesus gave us to pray - 'Our Father -----'. Is this a common prayer in your Anabaptist church ? I don't recall it being used in corporate prayer when I was in the MB church.

Any replies to my questions would be greatly appreciated. It has been some time since I last fasted as far as food is concerned but I have done 5 day fasts, water only, not for spiritual reasons and got physical benefits from doing this. I need to do this again for physical benefits but should be adding this time to my prayers.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I know of folks that have fasted for weeks on end. It was for spiritual reasons. I also know people who do it regularly for health reasons. But then these are the same ones mixing turpentine with ice cream to flush out all the bad things :o
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:25 am I know of folks that have fasted for weeks on end. It was for spiritual reasons. I also know people who do it regularly for health reasons. But then these are the same ones mixing turpentine with ice cream to flush out all the bad things :o
:shock:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)