General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Fasting: Yes? No? Sometimes?

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:46 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:39 pm
Valerie wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:51 pm

They are not supposed to flaunt it and it is individualized some are strict about it (the ones we know personally are) and some are not. It is rarely total abstinence from food.

I do believe Amish fast but not by a calendar
It becomes rather obvious when someone doesn’t fast when you work alongside them every day. (Likewise with Muslims it is obvious when they are fasting, because they don’t eat lunch.)
People fast in different ways. It's suppose to be personal, in Orthodoxy there's variations. How about answering Sudsy's question above?
So much variation I’ve never observed it all?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:47 pm

It becomes rather obvious when someone doesn’t fast when you work alongside them every day. (Likewise with Muslims it is obvious when they are fasting, because they don’t eat lunch.)
People fast in different ways. It's suppose to be personal, in Orthodoxy there's variations. How about answering Sudsy's question above?
Well I suppose you are judging based on what you don't know as people fast in different ways. In "general," if following Orthodox fasting calendar it by far has more fasting days to observe strictly than any I've known. It's amazing how many Orthodox Christians you've worked with. In my 42 yr full time working history I've probably worked in the same place as 2 Orthodox
Christians & I didn't have lunchtime with them be so you are painting with an awful broad brush- but who knows how strict anyone is in their fasting. But Sudsy is asking a question which is worthy of answering not avoiding as I've thought a lot about this too.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

In my experience, Orthodox fasts are like regular Mass attendance for Catholics. A minority of people do it, but the vast majority of members do not. I think it’s fine to be realistic about this.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:51 pm I do believe Amish fast but not by a calendar
Do they fast next to the refrigerator?
:mrgreen:
Ducking and running from the shoe.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:47 pm

Probably. You know, some people fast by not eating sweets, some fast by not eating fish. My variation of fasting is to not eat liver. I've actually been fasting for close to ten years now but probably none of my co-workers are aware of it.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I've just started a 3 day, liquids only fast for health reasons only. I have done it before and it not only helped me adjust my eating habits but it helped me to force myself to take control over my body desire for food. I tried 5 days once but near the end of the 5th day I got a bit dizzy when I stood up from sitting.

I haven't fasted along with prayer over some spiritual concern but I do believe we are meant to. Perhaps getting rid of Trump might be worth it. :o Just kidding.

My understanding on spiritual fasting is not to fast certain days of the week or certain times of the year but rather prayer and fasting over certain spiritual issues like in the book of Acts when they were looking for special guidance from the Lord.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:59 pm Probably. You know, some people fast by not eating sweets, some fast by not eating fish. My variation of fasting is to not eat liver. I've actually been fasting for close to ten years now but probably none of my co-workers are aware of it.
For your information, here's what the EO fasts are supposed to be.
Eat less food Mon-Fri throughout Lent and during Holy Week. Give up at least one type of mammal meat (pork, beef, etc.) throughout the whole period, and all meat and dairy on Pure Monday and on all Wednesdays and Fridays throughout.
It would be noticable if someone stopped partaking of meat and dairy on every Wednesday and Friday. Some EOs do, I'm sure, but most are not really "practicing" (much like how most Catholics, it's just a cultural thing, but they don't practice).

What I am doubting is Valerie's claim that Eastern Orthodox fast, well, religiously. I have not seen evidence that the typical EO person does. The only people I've run into who really take the fasting obligations seriously (outside of Lent) are the converts.

For those who can't fast the whole day, they are supposed to fast until evening. So that would still mean fasting during lunch.
0 x