Evidence for Evolution

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Evidence for Evolution

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:04 am Physicists based what they say on observations.

Evolutionary biologists mostly work off of an assumption of “First, I need to prove those ignorant hillbilly Christians are wrong.” Then they tell me that a soup of chemicals turns into a lizard turns into a bird turns into a monkey turns into a human.*

*Yes, I know this isn’t the exact proposed family tree.
Despite your assertions to the contrary, most modern evolutionary biology is about molecular genetics which is a field that did not even exist until more than a century after Darwin. And most current work in evolutionary biology is about existing organisms not fossils from the Paleozoic or Mesozoic. So yes, it involves direct observations and measurements. And it is FAR less theoretical than modern physics. Don't believe me? Go look at the web page of any major university with a department in evolutionary biology and count the number of scientists doing research on the molecular genetics of modern organisms compared to those working with ancient fossils and you will see that I am right.

And most evolutionary biologists waste exactly ZERO time engaging with ignorant hillbilly clowns like Ken Ham and his motley collection of young earth creationists like Kent Hovid and Carl Baugh because there is nothing to engage in. They aren't scientists and aren't doing science. They are hucksters, frauds, and snake oil salesmen. Some of them make a good living fleecing their "flocks." But that just puts them in good company with the likes of Kenneth Copeland, Jimmy Swaggart, and Jerry Fallwell--who are their actual peers rather than scientists. Real Christians should stay far away from all of them.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Why don’t you tell us how you really feel? :lol:
2 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Real Christians don’t believe hogwash no matter how you dress it.
2 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:34 pm Why don’t you tell us how you really feel? :lol:
This is the kind of claptrap that Ken Ham (currently the most famous creationist huckster) makes his living selling. You tell me if you think this is either Biblical or scientific or just made-up nonsense from his own imagination.

0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:57 pm
RZehr wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:34 pm Why don’t you tell us how you really feel? :lol:
This is the kind of claptrap that Ken Ham (currently the most famous creationist huckster) makes his living selling. You tell me if you think this is either Biblical or scientific or just made-up nonsense from his own imagination.

Clearly fictional. Jesus having a mustache and long hair? And a dress? Pshaw. :ugeek:
1 x
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Ken wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:57 pm

Actually it's not. I searched the Answers in Genesis website and found nothing of the likes. This is listed on the internet under "theoccultsection.com". Typed in "Jesus Riding Dinosaur" in Bing and this pic came up under images. Nope, not an AiG image. Sorry.

https://answersingenesis.org/kids/activities/coloring/
0 x
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Also, there are PhD scientists who believe the creation account in Genesis. One of my favorites graduated from Harvard. They are not pseudo scientists. I find Genesis beautiful when compared with the NYT article that was posted.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

AndersonD wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:36 pm Also, there are PhD scientists who believe the creation account in Genesis. One of my favorites graduated from Harvard. They are not pseudo scientists. I find Genesis beautiful when compared with the NYT article that was posted.
Who are you talking about? And what scientific works have they published?

Because many of the creationist types who promote themselves are frauds. Take Kent Hovind, for example, who is always out on speaking tours and who runs some sort of creationist theme park in Alabama. Not withstanding the fact that he has been convicted and served 9 years for multiple counts of felony tax evasion and was convicted of felony domestic abuse and battery of his third wife, he is also an academic fraud.

He claims to possess a masters degree and a doctorate in education from Patriot University in Colorado which is a notorious mail-order diploma mill https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Bible_University and appears to operate out of a what looks like a double-wide trailer in Del Norte Colorado and isn't accredited anywhere.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:53 pm
AndersonD wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:36 pm Also, there are PhD scientists who believe the creation account in Genesis. One of my favorites graduated from Harvard. They are not pseudo scientists. I find Genesis beautiful when compared with the NYT article that was posted.
Who are you talking about? And what scientific works have they published?

Because many of the creationist types who promote themselves are frauds. Take Kent Hovind, for example, who is always out on speaking tours and who runs some sort of creationist theme park in Alabama. Not withstanding the fact that he has been convicted and served 9 years for multiple counts of felony tax evasion and was convicted of felony domestic abuse and battery of his third wife, he is also an academic fraud.

He claims to possess a masters degree and a doctorate in education from Patriot University in Colorado which is a notorious mail-order diploma mill https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Bible_University and appears to operate out of a what looks like a double-wide trailer in Del Norte Colorado and isn't accredited anywhere.
Should we believe this any more than your repeated assertion about that coloring book picture being Ken Ham's?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

AndersonD wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:27 pmActually it's not. I searched the Answers in Genesis website and found nothing of the likes. This is listed on the internet under "theoccultsection.com". Typed in "Jesus Riding Dinosaur" in Bing and this pic came up under images. Nope, not an AiG image. Sorry.

https://answersingenesis.org/kids/activities/coloring/
He's been doing this stuff for a long time and some of it is long out of print. But if that isn't from Ken Ham then he has lots and lots of similar material. Here is his book on Dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden

And the previous edition showing Eve riding a triceratops on the cover

Here are some entertaining interior pages:

Noah's descendants riding dinosaurs

Dinosaurs on Noah's Ark

And there is lots of other fun stuff like vegetarian T-Rexes with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Oh, and carnivorous dinosaurs are really a plot by atheists and gays to scare little kids. That's a good one

0 x