Evidence for Evolution

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Evidence for Evolution

Post by Ken »

AndersonD wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:20 pm https://mynorthwest.com/3942486/rantz-s ... .%E2%80%9D

Is this your school district, Ken? Or is it fake news?
No, that's an international magnet school in West Seattle. About 180 miles away. And I don't teach ethnic studies. I teach biology. Human anatomy does not ever come up in my class, nor does the issue of sex versus gender.

As for being fake news? I have no idea. Jason Rantz is basically the local Seattle version of Rush Limbaugh or Tucker Carlson. His stock in trade is generating local outrage over trivialities. And then ranting about them for hours on local talk radio. It is a good living. I'm sure he makes lots of money doing it.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Falco Knotwise
Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Mechanics and mechanistic thinking is the basis of a physics with predictive power.

The trouble is mechanics is not the only kind of explanation for reality. As an explanation for reality mechanics has its limits. There were 4 recognized causes in Aristotelian metaphysics of which modern science considers only efficient causes. Only efficient causes are closely associated with power/control.

The other kinds of knowledge, valued for themselves and not for power, have all but been lost. The modern saying that knowledge is power shows how the words knowledge and science have become monopolized by the sciences that are based solely on mechanical thinking and only with consideration for efficient causes in mind. In the process, the whole “life of reason” according to the classical understanding has been lost.

However, I think it is fair to say contemporary society has grown tired of scientific obsessions with power. There are other things in life besides obsession with power and control over nature. Not minimizing the necessity and advantages of modern science, but trying to put it back into context.

Meanwhile the theoretical exclusion of the other causes (or explanations) is arguably causing a kind of social illiteracy, or even idiocy. The other kinds of causes/explanations - material, formal and final causes, are just as important for thinking and for knowledge, holistically considered.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford