Witness of the Spirit

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Witness of the Spirit

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:06 pm Can a professing believer be saved if he/she does not follow Peter's sermon instruction to be immersed in water in Jesus name and not repent for their disobedience ?

I think there are various questions that can be made to challenge salvation looking at a text in a certain way.

I'm going with the witness of the Spirit within that gives us assuarance that we have a saving faith. Scripture says we can know we are saved when our spirit bears witness with the Holy Spirit that we are children of God and this I experience so what man believes otherwise is his issue, not mine.
How does a person know that he/she indeed has a witness of the Spirit and is not just deceived like all those who said, "Lord, Lord. Have we not ......"
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Witness of the Spirit

Post by Soloist »

I guess the same way a Mormon knows is probably a bad answer.
I’ll go with what Jesus said who His family is.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Soloist wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:10 pm I guess the same way a Mormon knows is probably a bad answer.
I’ll go with what Jesus said who His family is.
Yup.
Matthew 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
I’m not sure how to do His will expect being submitted to Him, seeking His will, and then obeying it.

And then is obedience witness of His Spirit:
Acts 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:23 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:06 pm Can a professing believer be saved if he/she does not follow Peter's sermon instruction to be immersed in water in Jesus name and not repent for their disobedience ?

I think there are various questions that can be made to challenge salvation looking at a text in a certain way.

I'm going with the witness of the Spirit within that gives us assuarance that we have a saving faith. Scripture says we can know we are saved when our spirit bears witness with the Holy Spirit that we are children of God and this I experience so what man believes otherwise is his issue, not mine.
How does a person know that he/she indeed has a witness of the Spirit and is not just deceived like all those who said, "Lord, Lord. Have we not ......"
Time and the summation of the person’s fruits and works, in my experiences. We cannot know how faithful (and undeceived) a person may be until his or her life is complete.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:23 pm

The Spirit Himself testifies and confirms together with our spirit [assuring us] that we [believers] are children of God.
Romans 8:16 AMP

Other signs are - (1 John 3:14).
We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death
Are we relying on what Jesus did or our own good works - Romans 6:23 - Salvation is a gift, not something earned.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Also we walk by faith and not by sight or feelings. Feelings are the fruit of faith and not the source of it. Am I currently resting on Jesus as the payment for my sin or am I relying on my own performance in being fully obedient ?

I believe those Jesus was referring where those who talked about their performance and had no real personal relationship with Jesus. They were very active in religious ways and probably fooled many others but they were relying on their own religious performance to save them and had no real relationship with Jesus. Jesus said He never knew them. This reminds me of the verse that man looks on the outward but God looks upon the heart. Jesus was quite direct with the Pharisees over their heart issues. They were extremely religious but they did not have the heart of God toward others.

Paul Washer on the "Lord, Lord" passage - https://www.blueletterbible.org/audio_v ... er,%20Paul
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:41 pm
The Spirit Himself testifies and confirms together with our spirit [assuring us] that we [believers] are children of God.

We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death
Do not quote John on love unless you quote the rest of it
1Jn 3:15  Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
1Jn 3:16  Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
1Jn 3:17  But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
1Jn 3:18  My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
1Jn 3:19  And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
1Jn 3:20  For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
1Jn 3:21  Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
1Jn 3:22  And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
1Jn 3:23  And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
1Jn 3:24  And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us
And
1Jn 2:3  And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4  He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 2:5  But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
1Jn 2:6  He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:26 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:41 pm

Do not quote John on love unless you quote the rest of it
1Jn 3:15  Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
1Jn 3:16  Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
1Jn 3:17  But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
1Jn 3:18  My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
1Jn 3:19  And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
1Jn 3:20  For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
1Jn 3:21  Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
1Jn 3:22  And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
1Jn 3:23  And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
1Jn 3:24  And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us
And
1Jn 2:3  And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4  He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 2:5  But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
1Jn 2:6  He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
Note in your highlighted verse it does not say keepeth his commandments perfectly or without flaw. As we learn what God requires of us as the text says the love of God is perfected. If we know the love of God is growing to be more perfect/complete in us then we known we are in Him. John Wesley and others spoke of reaching a state of being totally sanctified in this life. Scripture does say to go on to perfection but I'm not convinced that anyone actually gets there in this life.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:41 pmAm I currently resting on Jesus as the payment for my sin or am I relying on my own performance in being fully obedient?
This seems like clarifying something on behalf of God, that God did not feel a need to clarify in his Word.

We are told to believe, repent, obey, be baptized, call on the name of the Lord, etc.
I don't find what you say in the Word of God.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:29 am
Sudsy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:41 pmAm I currently resting on Jesus as the payment for my sin or am I relying on my own performance in being fully obedient?
This seems like clarifying something on behalf of God, that God did not feel a need to clarify in his Word.

We are told to believe, repent, obey, be baptized, call on the name of the Lord, etc.
I believe that there is a basic embracing of the truth about Jesus required for salvation and this is a life changing, new birth into a new life in Christ. New desires are put within us to want to follow Jesus. This new desire put there by Jesus is required to have eternal life. When it comes to our performance as born again believers we will be judged someday on our performance at the Judgment Seat of Christ. Our works will be tested by fire and rewards given out on the quality of our performance. These works will either stand the test of fire and merit reward or they will just be burnt up.

Some people believe they can save themselves by their religious acts as was the case of the Pharisees in Jesus days on earth. Jesus pointed out to them their need was a changed heart to know how to love God and others. They needed to be born of the Spirit. Similar type of people are in our world today that are keen to do good works and are not trusting on what Jesus did to save them. When truly born again, good works will follow but we are not saved by our perfect obedience. We are saved by what Jesus did for us to be saved and believing that in our hearts.

A couple verses of many on this topic -

Titus 3:4-7 AMP -
But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Eph 2:8-9 AMP -
For it is by grace [God’s remarkable compassion and favor drawing you to Christ] that you have been saved [actually delivered from judgment and given eternal life] through faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [not through your own effort], but it is the [undeserved, gracious] gift of God; not as a result of [your] works [nor your attempts to keep the Law], so that no one will [be able to] boast or take credit in any way [for his salvation].
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:24 am
Ernie wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:29 am

I believe that there is a basic embracing of the truth about Jesus required for salvation and this is a life changing, new birth into a new life in Christ. New desires are put within us to want to follow Jesus. This new desire put there by Jesus is required to have eternal life. When it comes to our performance as born again believers we will be judged someday on our performance at the Judgment Seat of Christ. Our works will be tested by fire and rewards given out on the quality of our performance. These works will either stand the test of fire and merit reward or they will just be burnt up.

Some people believe they can save themselves by their religious acts as was the case of the Pharisees in Jesus days on earth. Jesus pointed out to them their need was a changed heart to know how to love God and others. They needed to be born of the Spirit. Similar type of people are in our world today that are keen to do good works and are not trusting on what Jesus did to save them. When truly born again, good works will follow but we are not saved by our perfect obedience. We are saved by what Jesus did for us to be saved and believing that in our hearts.

A couple verses of many on this topic -

Titus 3:4-7 AMP -
But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Eph 2:8-9 AMP -
For it is by grace [God’s remarkable compassion and favor drawing you to Christ] that you have been saved [actually delivered from judgment and given eternal life] through faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [not through your own effort], but it is the [undeserved, gracious] gift of God; not as a result of [your] works [nor your attempts to keep the Law], so that no one will [be able to] boast or take credit in any way [for his salvation].
I agree with what you say here. What you say here is different from what you said in your previous post.
0 x