Schools of Supernatural Ministry

General Christian Theology
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Schools of Supernatural Ministry

Post by Jazman »

Maybe you've heard of the Bethel (Redding Ca) School of Supernatural Ministry... it's the one that comes up the most in web searches and is also the subject of lots of pro / con articles/media etc. As best that I can tell, it was one of the, or The first one of these 'schools'
Currently a google search of 'school of supernatural ministry brings up many, many probably hundreds of like-sounding schools around the country... Based in churches, schools, YWAM bases or just stand-alone?

My question to all regular forum folk here: Have you heard of these schools? Do you know anyone who has attended one? Have you attended one?
And if it's a Yes for any of those, what has been the long-term fruit of time spent at one of these schools, that you know of or have observed?
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Schools of Supernatural Ministry

Post by Josh »

Long ago, I applied to Bethel's SSM in Cleveland, mostly out of a desire to go for social reasons.

I would view it basically as a seminary in how to be a Pentecostal/charismatic. If you agree with their doctrines on things, it's a good idea. If you don't, the whole thing will seem like sheer nonsense.

I can say this about the Bethel people: they have completely transformed the city of Redding. They are about 5%-6% of the population there (based on attendance divided by the size of the metro area). They very much focus on good deeds; nobody in Redding is homeless or hungry unless they're choosing to be. The city is kind of an oasis. Many of their people are first-generation converts and are new to Christian life and church attendance. So I have a huge amount of respect for that.

They also are not really a money making enterprise despite being accused of being such. I have not felt an emphasis on donations in their services (unlike Hillsong). People do give generously, both people who are not well off and wealthy benefactors.

So with that said, I would advise someone not to go to the SSM but I would also advise them not to believe in Pentecostal/charismatic doctrine in the first place. But most people could do much worse than attending Bethel Redding and being part of the community there.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:30 pm Long ago, I applied to Bethel's SSM in Cleveland, mostly out of a desire to go for social reasons.

I would view it basically as a seminary in how to be a Pentecostal/charismatic. If you agree with their doctrines on things, it's a good idea. If you don't, the whole thing will seem like sheer nonsense.

I can say this about the Bethel people: they have completely transformed the city of Redding. They are about 5%-6% of the population there (based on attendance divided by the size of the metro area). They very much focus on good deeds; nobody in Redding is homeless or hungry unless they're choosing to be. The city is kind of an oasis. Many of their people are first-generation converts and are new to Christian life and church attendance. So I have a huge amount of respect for that.

They also are not really a money making enterprise despite being accused of being such. I have not felt an emphasis on donations in their services (unlike Hillsong). People do give generously, both people who are not well off and wealthy benefactors.

So with that said, I would advise someone not to go to the SSM but I would also advise them not to believe in Pentecostal/charismatic doctrine in the first place. But most people could do much worse than attending Bethel Redding and being part of the community there.
Have some friends in Bethel/Redding related churches. Wildly Pentecostal, with some unique quarks , like “Grave Soaking” and “fire tunnels.” If you buy their theology, there is no place like it. If you do not, stay away.
1 x
:hug:
Josh

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:31 pm Have some friends in Bethel/Redding related churches. Wildly Pentecostal, with some unique quarks , like “Grave Soaking” and “fire tunnels.” If you buy their theology, there is no place like it. If you do not, stay away.
I actually like their style of music best out of all of the worship styles, although Hillsong is a close second.

"Grave soaking" is certainly an odd practice although it has roots in ancient Christian traditions. Still, it's very... odd... to me. Fire tunnels are just a lot of theatrics. As you said, if you're Pentecostal or charismatic, go for it.

I have noticed they are keeping their conferences really inexpensive. One thing I like about Bethel is that there doesn't seem to be much grifting going on. Their conferences run a little cheaper than, say, Hillsong's. I guess Bethel is content to make most their money from selling music (which is going very well for them). At Hillsong, you always feel pressured to donate.

Bethel has also managed to remain surprisingly scandal free. I used to associated with the crowd in Cleveland, and I definitely noticed an emphasis on better ethics and a lot less "cult of personality" which was a bit of a problem at Hillsong, which is now very scandal-plagued.

My ex's sister and her husband are part of Bethel and they are the only part of that family left that is identifiably Christian and orthodox in doctrine (I would consider mainline protestant groups heterodox, at this point). So I also have to thank them for bringing stability into people's lives. The rest of those families have given up on church and belief in the Bible.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:31 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:30 pm Long ago, I applied to Bethel's SSM in Cleveland, mostly out of a desire to go for social reasons.

Have some friends in Bethel/Redding related churches. Wildly Pentecostal, with some unique quarks , like “Grave Soaking” and “fire tunnels.” If you buy their theology, there is no place like it. If you do not, stay away.
Yes. So many strange manifestations there. Feathers falling out of nowhere; the crazy fire tunnels, gold dust falling from the air. Many at our Pentecostal/Charismatic church which was Foursquare Gospel were in support of Bethel which was the beginning of us leaving the Charismatic movement.

Yes I am familiar with for a long time the Supernatural School of Ministry and the apostles and prophets group. We were not discerning of it being g of the Lird. We do believe in miracles and gifts, just uncomfortable with this direction.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:11 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:31 pm Have some friends in Bethel/Redding related churches. Wildly Pentecostal, with some unique quarks , like “Grave Soaking” and “fire tunnels.” If you buy their theology, there is no place like it. If you do not, stay away.
I actually like their style of music best out of all of the worship styles, although Hillsong is a close second.

"Grave soaking" is certainly an odd practice although it has roots in ancient Christian traditions. Still, it's very... odd... to me. Fire tunnels are just a lot of theatrics. As you said, if you're Pentecostal or charismatic, go for it.

I have noticed they are keeping their conferences really inexpensive. One thing I like about Bethel is that there doesn't seem to be much grifting going on. Their conferences run a little cheaper than, say, Hillsong's. I guess Bethel is content to make most their money from selling music (which is going very well for them). At Hillsong, you always feel pressured to donate.

Bethel has also managed to remain surprisingly scandal free. I used to associated with the crowd in Cleveland, and I definitely noticed an emphasis on better ethics and a lot less "cult of personality" which was a bit of a problem at Hillsong, which is now very scandal-plagued.

My ex's sister and her husband are part of Bethel and they are the only part of that family left that is identifiably Christian and orthodox in doctrine (I would consider mainline protestant groups heterodox, at this point). So I also have to thank them for bringing stability into people's lives. The rest of those families have given up on church and belief in the Bible.
Likewise my Bethel affiliated friends. If Pentecostal doctrine rings true to you, you will find it there. My friends are among the most faithful believers that I know, I just listen politely when the Pentecostal stuff comes out.
0 x
:hug:
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

Thanks for sharing guys. I appreciate the graciousness towards these types of Christians. I struggle with that; I brush up against some of the effects of these kind of schools and their teaching on people I know, some closely and I'm bothered by it. A few of our young people go off to these or similar/adjacent places and I'm not sure it makes them better or more mature Christians...(more zealous and willing to do strange/disconcerting things in public!). But I guess I need to trust them to God and not fear...?
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I have a dim view of supernatural schools. And I have seen in at least two cases where it really took people off the rails...though maybe they were off to begin with. And the whole God told me stuff I struggle with as well. Or the whole practicing prophecy and it is fine if you make mistakes etc...not to mention as has been mentioned the grave sucking and raising from the dead...
1 x
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:44 am I have a dim view of supernatural schools. And I have seen in at least two cases where it really took people off the rails...though maybe they were off to begin with. And the whole God told me stuff I struggle with as well. Or the whole practicing prophecy and it is fine if you make mistakes etc...not to mention as has been mentioned the grave sucking and raising from the dead...
When I try to google these, the top results are always filled with the Bethel SSM... which if I'm not mistaken is one of the firsts? (If anyone knows, post here!) But the local hyper-charismatic mega near me has had one for years already. (Maybe Bethel's has been around for 15-20yrs now?)
- Also in google search for any post-Bethel or unconnected observers with a review or discernment on any of these SSM's, it seems Bethel is the only one that's really been looked at closely.
- And in the first search (just looking for anything SSM related), in multiple pages after the first, you find many, many, maybe 100s of these 'schools' all over the country and world. Then I wonder how closely related is their curriculum / teaching... and if they're all like Bethel? Of so, are there thousands of young people experiencing and being taught this off-kilter Christianity? And I wonder how many have been disillusioned and have left the faith entirely? (Most post Bethel testimonies on web from people who end up disagreeing with the theology/practice, seem to always mention 1 or more of their friends/peers who went through the same program and leave the faith entirely...)

I worry, maybe too much. As I mentioned before, some of our young people have started going to these... but our leadership seems to have no idea of the dangers involved, but instead seem mesmerized by the youthful zeal and sensation, and also imply the rest of us should be excited that way too... and embrace the new! exciting! without reservation. Not sure how to even bring up reservations when it feels like everyone else is gungho...
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

For what it’s worth, when I was around Bethel SSM people in 2012 and 2013, I saw supernatural miracles happen. Both lives transformed and changed, financial miracles, and healing. Plus serious mental illnesses healed.

I was unwilling to commit to following God 100%, so I “missed out”. But I want to emphasise the Bethel people I have been around are sincere Christ followed. I would like to see them embrace the full gospel of peace someday.

Many “clones” of Bethel exist who are attracted to signs and wonders but don’t seem willing to do the acts of service, mercy, and hours spent in prayer closets that cause God to desire to move supernaturally. We cannot lust after signs and wonders and frankly that’s a lot of what Bethel SSM teaches.
1 x