Musical Instruments

General Christian Theology
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Re: Musical Instruments

Post by JayP »

Of course we are back to what is conservative

The Menno churches I. All conservative do not allow you to listen to music except a cappella tapes , do not allow instruments at all in church and generally for it them period, although the piano seems acceptable in some circles

I confess to not giving up our piano when I joined Eastern made some folks uncomfortable but our minister and bishop did not think that was a battle line for us
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:56 pm Of course we are back to what is conservative

The Menno churches I. All conservative do not allow you to listen to music except a cappella tapes , do not allow instruments at all in church and generally for it them period, although the piano seems acceptable in some circles

I confess to not giving up our piano when I joined Eastern made some folks uncomfortable but our minister and bishop did not think that was a battle line for us
It really depends on what you consider conservative… pilgrim allows you to listen to musical instruments and play them. Western fellowship was mixed. As far as I know nationwide does not allow it.
Those are the ones I’m familiar with, although I’ve heard some Eastern churches allow the piano.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

A lot of “conservative” Beachy type of churches listen to recorded rock music if it’s “Christian” and also tolerate secular country music.

At the church I used to go to, the preacher’s grandson regularly listens to mainstream rap music and is busy trying to mix his own rap tracks. This is the state of present day “conservative” Anabaptism.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:34 am A lot of “conservative” Beachy type of churches listen to recorded rock music if it’s “Christian” and also tolerate secular country music.

At the church I used to go to, the preacher’s grandson regularly listens to mainstream rap music and is busy trying to mix his own rap tracks. This is the state of present day “conservative” Anabaptism.
Your mileage may vary.
2 x
:hug:
JayP

Post by JayP »

FWIIW and obviously the lines are subjective, I am not suture I would consider Pilgrim conservative any more
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

JayP wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:51 pm FWIIW and obviously the lines are subjective, I am not suture I would consider Pilgrim conservative any more
Well, “conservative Anabaptism” is a well defined thing, with fundamental, moderate, intermediate, ultra, and Old Order alignments. Would you perhaps be saying you think they’ve become moderate and aren’t intermediate-conservative anymore?
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

joshuabgood wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:36 pm I was in a Catholic church not long ago and there was a drum set off to the side, along with with numerous other instruments...but, as a guitarist and part-time worship leader, I probably have a different perspective on modern worship music then you do - based on what I am gleaning from the tone of your comments.
One of the local Catholic congregations has a parish Mariachi band due to the large Hispanic population here.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Pretty sure the New Testament commands the use of musical instruments, but does not forbid them anywhere.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Signtist wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:09 am Pretty sure the New Testament commands the use of musical instruments, but does not forbid them anywhere.
Exactly where does it command them?
0 x
JayP

Post by JayP »

Respectfully, no Josh. "conservative" is not a well defined thing. using the terms devised by one converted River Brethern who wrote a book doesn't constitute well defined.

FWIIW, within the context of what he was writing about, I'm well on aboard with his terminology. But to assume it's the baseline for the entire rest of the world is inaccurate.

But I'd stand by what I said. Where ever it is anyone had Pilgrim in 1995 on their 'spectrum mennonite paint chart of conservatism', it's more toward the liberal side now.

Whatever those terms mean! :)
0 x