Dispensationalism, John Darby, etc.

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Dispensationalism, John Darby, etc.

Post by Ernie »

A thread to discuss... Dispensationalism, John Darby, etc... and how this compares with other millenialist and non-millenialist views over the centuries.

Please keep partisan comments/debates out of this thread - avoid comments that reflect negatively on either right-leaning or left leaning political persuasions. Please keep this thread focused on the topic.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Re: Dispensationalism, John Darby, etc.

Post by Ernie »

Over the last 75 years, many people influenced by Dispensationalist teachers, have found all sorts of verses in the Bible that seem to them to find fulfillment in events happening in the Mideast and how countries around the world respond to these events. Every decade or so, they need to come up with a new map of prophecy as events in the Mideast either don't happen according to prediction or don't seem to fit the scriptural narrative. The teachers then scrap their former outline and come up with a new outline or time table.

In my youth there was one such time period. I listened to Isaac Sensenig as he explained that "we need to keep coming back to the drawing board". No matter that he had spent hundreds or thousands of hours making up his former outlines, fulfillments, and predictions and that his listeners had spent even more hours devouring his narrative. But like those who predict the date for the Lord's return, folks like Sensenig just scrapped some of their previous work and went back to the drawing board, and many of their followers continued to support their new narratives.

Can anybody point me to a list of these "dispensationalist fulfillments" that have needed readjusting over the last 75 years, as events in the Middle East shift the narrative?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

This is not an answer to your main question, but the disciples were also very interested in "time-lines". When Jesus told them about the things that would happen before His return (Matthew 24, etc), they asked him "When will these things come about?" Elsewhere, Jesus said "But will I find faith on the earth?"
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:05 pm Can anybody point me to a list of these "dispensationalist fulfillments" that have needed readjusting over the last 75 years, as events in the Middle East shift the narrative?
Hal Lindsey, Samel Kirban, and Johnathan Cahn are just a few that come to mind.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Ernie wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:05 pm Over the last 75 years, many people influenced by Dispensationalist teachers, have found all sorts of verses in the Bible that seem to them to find fulfillment in events happening in the Mideast and how countries around the world respond to these events. Every decade or so, they need to come up with a new map of prophecy as events in the Mideast either don't happen according to prediction or don't seem to fit the scriptural narrative. The teachers then scrap their former outline and come up with a new outline or time table.

In my youth there was one such time period. I listened to Isaac Sensenig as he explained that "we need to keep coming back to the drawing board". No matter that he had spent hundreds or thousands of hours making up his former outlines, fulfillments, and predictions and that his listeners had spent even more hours devouring his narrative. But like those who predict the date for the Lord's return, folks like Sensenig just scrapped some of their previous work and went back to the drawing board, and many of their followers continued to support their new narratives.

Can anybody point me to a list of these "dispensationalist fulfillments" that have needed readjusting over the last 75 years, as events in the Middle East shift the narrative?
On the flip side of that, I remember quite clearly when the Wall came down and the USSR began to disintegrate, an amillenialist preacher friend of mine sneeringly (I tried to find a better term but was unable) said something to the effect that "There goes any possibility that Russia will be an end time power in the Middle East as the Dispensationalist pre-millenialists teach".
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

75 years conveniently takes you right back to 1948. Go on back another 25 years, and you'll see a different type of "going back to the drawing board". I first became interested in "end time prophecy" and the book of the Revelation in the early 70's. My Dad had studied at two different Bible institutes (after 2 years at a Mennonite Brethren HS, Corn Bible Academy), and all of his books were from before 1948. I pulled them down off of his shelf and began studying them. The main thing that struck me was how before the 40's, none of these teachers/authors even considered the possibility that Israel would become a nation again, aside from through the return of the Messiah. So take it all with a grain of salt. It'll all change again.

(There was a well known author in the early 70's, and he published a book about the USSR as Gog or Magog in about 1990. Anyway, it came out just before the collapse of the Soviet Union. It was kinda' funny, really, but I still felt sorry for the guy. I think his last name started with a 'C', but I cannot remember what it was.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

You might enjoy this podcast episode about dispensationalism.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/e ... 0616457068
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

I‘m pretty much a full blown Darby style dispensationalist.

Recently heard a Brethren teacher talk about Zephanjah 2.4

4 For Gaza shall be forsaken, and Ashkelon a desolation: they shall drive out Ashdod at the noon day, and Ekron shall be rooted up.

The Ashkelon, Asdod and Ekron bits were fulfilled in 1948. Gaza, well…

Prophecy in the Scripture is always fulfilled but not always all in a book, chapter or even verse at the same time.
1 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

A couple of years ago I remarked to an older friend (a man in his early 70s who is definitely a premillennialist but maybe not a dispensationalist, I'm not sure) that I don't hear nearly as much about prophecy being fulfilled in current events as I did growing up 20–30 years ago. He said that enthusiasm has waned as events in the Middle East continue without the return of Christ that many expected would have happened by now.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:21 pm
Ernie wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:05 pm Can anybody point me to a list of these "dispensationalist fulfillments" that have needed readjusting over the last 75 years, as events in the Middle East shift the narrative?
Hal Lindsey, Samel Kirban, and Johnathan Cahn are just a few that come to mind.
I'm looking for actual examples of verses that people matched with certain events, only to need to rearrange verses and find other verses as events played out differently.
0 x