Is it ever OK to lie?

General Christian Theology
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Is it ever OK to lie?

Post by Hats Off »

follower wrote:Consider this postulate - there are three general classes that God uses to communicate with us. These are found in both the OT and NT.

1. He informs us before we're aware of the issue or when we first see the issue.
2. He informs us when we ask him. This can be right away, or in many cases it's after some period of time and something changes (the situation changes, or we finally change - consider Ps 73 for the latter).

I left the third one blank because you might think it is "He doesn't inform us." That's in the right direction, but there's more to it than that, and that's the worthwhile thinking to do on the subject - you have to start considering the "why" for that. Consider how Jesus answered the questions about the future posed to him by the disciples - they weren't all answered the same - and also consider how the angel answered Daniel's question in chapter 12.

Job is also unique, as it is a blend of both 2 and 3.
So in what way does this give us a valid option to lie? What overrides Rev. 22:15?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

follower wrote:
RZehr wrote:I was trying to point out if someone believes it is okay to lie sometimes, then they could be lying at anytime.
Which is why the reader or listener has the responsibility to verify, even if the author states he is telling the truth - something done every day in courtrooms.
When someone like RZehr says something, I do not question him even though I have only met him on this forum; most of the time when an unbeliever says he will do something, I also take him at his word. I do not feel I need to question or verify everything that is said to me - there is a time and place for trust and I may be gullible but I believe until I see obvious reasons not to.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote: When one becomes a Christian, or becomes Christlike, they are taking on a label that lets people know that their word does not need to be verified, because a Christian does not tell lies.

Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor: for we are members one of another. - Ephesians 4:25

It seems like there is more said about not telling lies, than there are verses enjoining us to tell the truth.

Thoughts?
I would say that a Christian is not in the habit of lying yet one can be a Christian (saved, born of the Spirit) and be in the process of sanctification in 'putting away lying'. If a professing Christian tells a lie and does not sense the convicting power of the Holy Spirit then they should check out their relationship with God. Do they really know God ? Does God really know them ?

I agree that as a Christ follower we should not be known as someone who habitually lies but for some new converts this may take some time to 'put away' lying and responding in repentance to the Holy Spirit.

We are working toward Christ likeness but people need to look at Christ Himself as we are works-in-progress.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I agree.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Hats Off wrote:
follower wrote:
RZehr wrote:I was trying to point out if someone believes it is okay to lie sometimes, then they could be lying at anytime.
Which is why the reader or listener has the responsibility to verify, even if the author states he is telling the truth - something done every day in courtrooms.
When someone like RZehr says something, I do not question him even though I have only met him on this forum; most of the time when an unbeliever says he will do something, I also take him at his word. I do not feel I need to question or verify everything that is said to me - there is a time and place for trust and I may be gullible but I believe until I see obvious reasons not to.
Constant suspicion does something to our personality that isn't good. I would agree with what you are saying here.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

lesterb wrote: Constant suspicion does something to our personality that isn't good. I would agree with what you are saying here.
This scares me as I've been highly suspicious of Christian leaders as of late- trying to be discerning, not suspicious- I hope I don't get the two confused, but praying for discernment always.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Valerie wrote:
lesterb wrote: Constant suspicion does something to our personality that isn't good. I would agree with what you are saying here.
This scares me as I've been highly suspicious of Christian leaders as of late- trying to be discerning, not suspicious- I hope I don't get the two confused, but praying for discernment always.
It may be that those Christian leaders of late that you mention, simply believe that it is okay to tell the occasional lie. I imagine that would breed suspicion.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

This is a reason I try to be around church leaders who are trustworthy, and meet the biblical requirements for deacons and elders. It really helps when I feel like I can trust the leaders I'm around. I have seen a good friend of mine struggle quite a bit because of un-trustworthy behaviour from church leaders he had in his life, in the past.
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

follower wrote:
Joy wrote:Follower, I don't understand what you mean by Samuel lying. Do you think he didn't sacrifice, or didn't come in peace, or what?
Well, all those things are true - but were those the underlying, actual reasons for Samuel's visit? Clearly not, because Samuel says Saul will kill him if he finds out Samuel will be crowning a new king. And God instructs Samuel to not give the underlying reason.

So it's clearly deceptive. And most people put this type of deception into the category of lying. Children use this method as do adults, and it's common enough that we find it in literature, in TV programming, in movies and in plays. In some cases it's the dominant theme of the story.
So was Corrie ten Boom sinning when she said what she did to protect the Jews under the table?
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

I really don't think it's wrong to lie to save a life.
0 x