The bloodthirsty nature of the evangelical political right wing

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

The bloodthirsty nature of the evangelical political right wing

Post by Josh »

I have been watching with dismay the missives from the political right wing that identifies also as evangelical and the full throwted enthusiasm they seem to have for warfare and bloodshed.

Of course, this has been a longstanding problem - going back to the original situation in 2001 and 2002 when many declared the Islamic world to be our “enemy” and fully supported invading Iraq and Afghanistan in the name of freedom and democracy.

Jumping forward to 2022, we saw the majority of the evangelical right express strong support for arming Ukraine and fighting Russia - and then even more disturbingly, a minority express they thought Russia was in the right and hoping they actually won the military conflict. The hundreds of thousands of dead bodies we now have seemed unimportant to them. Just cheerleading for more weapons to be shipped over. Prayer requests sent out for soldiers to be victorious in battle.

And now in the present era, I see the evangelical right claiming it’s OK to bomb hospitals, ambulances, and churches because Hamas digs tunnels under churches. Claiming Hamas is conducting military operations from inside an ambulance. Sending out prayer requests for the IDF to be victorious in battle.

They seem very far off from Jesus’ message of peace, which notably never called for one side or another to be victorious in battle. Jesus told his soldiers to lay down their swords, not swing them mightily. How must he feel when his followers are busy praying for soldiers to win - on both sides of a conflict?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: The bloodthirsty nature of the evangelical political right wing

Post by Soloist »

Honestly Josh, you can trace the American evangelical beliefs all the way back to the revolution.
Every single war the “church” basically has picked the side they like and preached for it.
4 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Similar sentiments are what pushed me out of the evangelical movement entirely and seeking a peace church. Digging into the doctrines of nonviolence, hearing the arguments in favor of christians using violence, I became convinced that every argument in favor of the sword inevitably boils down to saying "this violence is good, all other violence is bad". But Christians on both sides say that, while they kill each other.

Violence is always a solution to problems that is pulled out by brutal, sadistic people quickly, and by unimaginative, lazy people eventually. I am firmly convinced that Jesus' message in this regard was essentially "That solution is no longer available to those who choose to follow me."
4 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

I brought this in front of my eight grade American history class as we finished World War I:

Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work—
I am the grass; I cover all.

And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
What place is this?
Where are we now?

I am the grass.
Let me work.

Carl Sandburg

Violence is never the solution, only the cause of more violence.
2 x
:hug:
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Soloist wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:05 pm Honestly Josh, you can trace the American evangelical beliefs all the way back to the revolution.
Every single war the “church” basically has picked the side they like and preached for it.
And I think this can be traced all the way back to Constantine. There was only about a 283 year period in all of Judeo/Christian history in which God's people did not sanction war.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Yet, oftentimes unavoidable. As Christians we are called to respond in faith and non-violently. That doesn't mean nonviolence/nonresistance always "works" in a material way; rather and simply it means we've won spiritually and have remained faithful to Jesus.
2 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:00 am Yet, oftentimes unavoidable. As Christians we are called to respond in faith and non-violently. That doesn't mean nonviolence/nonresistance always "works" in a material way; rather and simply it means we've won spiritually and have remained faithful to Jesus.
True, but I might rephrase and say faithfulness to Jesus is winning in every single battle that is truly important.
0 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Ernie wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:20 am
Soloist wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:05 pm Honestly Josh, you can trace the American evangelical beliefs all the way back to the revolution.
And I think this can be traced all the way back to Constantine. There was only about a 283 year period in all of Judeo/Christian history in which God's people did not sanction war.
It was certainly longer than 283 years. Constantine is often cited as the catalyst for the change that occured in the church Jesus founded, but those changes weren't immediate.
1 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

barnhart wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:50 am
HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:00 am Yet, oftentimes unavoidable. As Christians we are called to respond in faith and non-violently. That doesn't mean nonviolence/nonresistance always "works" in a material way; rather and simply it means we've won spiritually and have remained faithful to Jesus.
True, but I might rephrase and say faithfulness to Jesus is winning in every single battle that is truly important.
I am more and more convinced it works better in every single way than does retributive violence...which is why Jesus used it.
1 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

joshuabgood wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:16 pm
barnhart wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:50 am
I am more and more convinced it works better in every single way than does retributive violence...which is why Jesus used it.
This is true without reservation as long as the scope is expanded long enough.
0 x