Anger as a self-destructive weapon

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Anger as a self-destructive weapon

Post by MaxPC »

The Bible speaks of anger and its effect on one’s soul. Long held anger and grudges is proclaimed as a kind of corrosion of one’s soul.

This is a thread to discuss, from a Biblical perspective, your perceptions and thoughts about
1. anger
2. ways to deal with anger
3. how to avoid self-deception about personal anger.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Anger as a self-destructive weapon

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:14 pm The Bible speaks of anger and its effect on one’s soul. Long held anger and grudges is proclaimed as a kind of corrosion of one’s soul.

This is a thread to discuss, from a Biblical perspective, your perceptions and thoughts about
1. anger
Good topic !

There appears to be a righteous anger that a Christian can have and an unrighteous anger to avoid.

For example - am I getting angry on the behalf of others ? Or am I getting angry because of my own pride? Is the issue about God’s Kingdom? Or about my personal Kingdom?

I believe the way to deal with unrighteous anger is to be continuously filled with the Holy Spirit as one of the characteristics of this is temperance / self control. If I walk in step with the Spirit, I am often checked by the Spirit over my response to unrighteous anger. When I am not allowing the Spirit to have that kind of influence on me, my fleshly nature jumps in. God gives us the power to control unrighteous anger but we must trust and obey the Spirit's guidance. And this obedience is hard on the flesh and what it wants to do. As scripture says, we must daily crucify the flesh and how it directs our responses. Satan is also involved at times in provoking this unrighteous anger.

Hope others will share thoughts on this too. Anger is often obvious in these forums including Christian forums. I think we can be deceived at times to think our form of anger is a righteous kind when it is not.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:24 pm
MaxPC wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:14 pm The Bible speaks of anger and its effect on one’s soul. Long held anger and grudges is proclaimed as a kind of corrosion of one’s soul.

1. anger
Good topic !

There appears to be a righteous anger that a Christian can have and an unrighteous anger to avoid.

For example - am I getting angry on the behalf of others ? Or am I getting angry because of my own pride? Is the issue about God’s Kingdom? Or about my personal Kingdom?

I believe the way to deal with unrighteous anger is to be continuously filled with the Holy Spirit as one of the characteristics of this is temperance / self control. If I walk in step with the Spirit, I am often checked by the Spirit over my response to unrighteous anger. When I am not allowing the Spirit to have that kind of influence on me, my fleshly nature jumps in. God gives us the power to control unrighteous anger but we must trust and obey the Spirit's guidance. And this obedience is hard on the flesh and what it wants to do. As scripture says, we must daily crucify the flesh and how it directs our responses. Satan is also involved at times in provoking this unrighteous anger.

Hope others will share thoughts on this too. Anger is often obvious in these forums including Christian forums. I think we can be deceived at times to think our form of anger is a righteous kind when it is not.
Likewise. I would like to hear the wise words of other Christians regarding this societal plague.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I think anger has different levels, and therefore can possibly different emotions.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!