Hymnals

General Christian Theology
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Hymnals

Post by JimFoxvog »

I like a mix of traditional hymns and comtemporary songs. In the MC-USA churches I attend we use Hymnal: A Worship Book with two supplements, Sing the Story and Sing the Journey. We add other songs with an overhead projector or large TV screen connected to a computer and our own supplement. This works pretty well, but I don't care for the Hymnal's changed lyrics of traditional hymns that were made to avoid using words like "man" or "him" inclusivly, particularly in the first verse of well-loved songs.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Erika wrote:Does anyone have a favourite hymnal that they use or that their church uses?
Mine is the 'Church Hymnal', published by Mennonite Publishing House, 1927. My favourite Hymn writer is Isaac Watts. He had a very difficult life, as has many of our cherished Hymn writers. He was writing at a time of spiritual decline as we are experiencing today. One of my favourite past times is reading the history of the lives of the Hymn writers and their work. What I am finding in today's hymn books seems to be more entertaining than teaching. I am of the opinion that Hymns should teach Biblical truths. This is a very old debate which is still happening today. I am interested in what others have to say on this topic.
The Church Hymnal is an excellent hymnal. Hymns of the Church by John D. Martin was heavily influenced by the Church Hymnal and contains most of his or his congregation's favorites from it. I do think that the theological content of a congregation's music is formative in its spirituality and thinking.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I grew up singing out of the Church Hymnal. A fine book - though it isn't always appreciated by people who aren't more musically inclined in nature. As an example, at our church we also had the Christian Hymnal, and a contingent of folks always felt that the Christian Hymnal had "more life" than the Church Hymnal.

Interestingly, the Church Hymnal also had a few songs that were specifically not included in the Mennonite Hymnal...such as In Thy Holy Place, which was even written by a Mennonite. However the lyrics about "golden censers and perfumes (incense)" etc was too much for the Mennonite Hymnal's sensibilities.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Erika wrote:Does anyone have a favourite hymnal that they use or that their church uses?
Mine is the 'Church Hymnal', published by Mennonite Publishing House, 1927. My favourite Hymn writer is Isaac Watts. He had a very difficult life, as has many of our cherished Hymn writers. He was writing at a time of spiritual decline as we are experiencing today. One of my favourite past times is reading the history of the lives of the Hymn writers and their work. What I am finding in today's hymn books seems to be more entertaining than teaching. I am of the opinion that Hymns should teach Biblical truths. This is a very old debate which is still happening today. I am interested in what others have to say on this topic.

If it has not already been said, your choice may be governed by whether or not you need one with shape notes.

If I had to pick one, it would be the Purple Martin (Hynms of the Church)

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Mine is "A Collection of Psalms and Hymns" and we don't worry about notes at all. That way we are never wrong. If the choice were mine I would go with "The Christian Hymnary" although I have never seen the Purple Martin.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Hats Off wrote:Mine is "A Collection of Psalms and Hymns" and we don't worry about notes at all. That way we are never wrong. If the choice were mine I would go with "The Christian Hymnary" although I have never seen the Purple Martin.

Do old order mennos use hymnals without notes? Only time I have ever seen those have been Old Order River Brethren. They seem to adapt to our "Four Part" quite well when they are in our church. I have never been in theirs, although I suspect that will not be the case too much longer.

In our church "The Christian Hymnary" is our primary hymnal.
J.M.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Hats Off wrote:Mine is "A Collection of Psalms and Hymns" and we don't worry about notes at all. That way we are never wrong. If the choice were mine I would go with "The Christian Hymnary" although I have never seen the Purple Martin.

Do old order mennos use hymnals without notes? Only time I have ever seen those have been Old Order River Brethren. They seem to adapt to our "Four Part" quite well when they are in our church. I have never been in theirs, although I suspect that will not be the case too much longer.

J.M.
Yes, OOMs use hymnals without notes in their churches. The Ontario horse and buggy ones still use German hymnals, the 'black car' OOMs used both German and English before the German was dropped within my generation.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Judas Maccabeus

silentreader wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:

J.M.
Yes, OOMs use hymnals without notes in their churches. The Ontario horse and buggy ones still use German hymnals, the 'black car' OOMs used both German and English before the German was dropped within my generation.
When we are talking about Old Order Mennonites, are we talking about "Horning" type OOMs or horse and buggy groups?

J.M.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
silentreader wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:

J.M.
When we are talking about Old Order Mennonites, are we talking about "Horning" type OOMs or horse and buggy groups?

J.M.
Both, see my previous post. The 'black car' ones I referred to would be the "Horning' type. Note also I am referring only to Ontario OOMs.

Edited to add: I think, but don't know for sure, that the practice would be similar at least in the Lancaster/Lebanon area of PA, and in the Finger Lakes area of NY, though possibly not the German hymnal usage.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

We are talking about Horning type - the horse and buggy groups with the exception of Virginia, use the German song book, also without notes. (sorry, Silent Reader, I did not see your post when I posted.)
0 x