Psalms 37 - Three Years Later

General Christian Theology
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Psalms 37 - Three Years Later

Post by JohnHurt »

Our Lord quotes this passage in the Beautitudes (Matthew 5:5):
Psalms 37:(1) A Psalm of David. Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.

(2) For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.

(3) Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

(4) Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

(5) Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

(6) And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.

(7) Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

(8) Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.

(9) For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.

(10) For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

(11) But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
This passage is a great comfort, and also a warning to those who persecute Christians. And I have seen a pattern of how this passage works in my 66 years of walking this earth - IF we "cease from anger, and forsake wrath" and "fret not thyself in any wise to do evil" to those that wrong us.

I believe that if we "turn the other cheek", then God can deal with our problems in a much better way, and we will not be involved at all.

And there appears to be a "three year rule" of sorts, that I can see.

In my life, I have had several people try to compromise me in some way, either to entice me to join with them in "sin", to damage my reputation, to get me fired from a job, or to take everything I have away from me. And in each case, if I can refrain from retribution, then three years later, when I inquire about them, this is what I found:

The man who tried to get me fired at work for no reason, three years later he was investigated by an auditor and found to have misappropriated funds, and fired.

Another man tried to get me fired at work because he was jealous of my accomplishments outside of work. When I left, he hired a person that recorded his conversations and documented his racism (he was an Indian and only hired people from India.) He was fired and disgraced - about 2 years after I left.

Another "friend" I met at church became my roommate (before I married), and tried to entice me into sinful activities. Then he tried destroy my reputation at church. When I went to another church, he followed me to the new church and did the same thing there. Three years later he came down with "panic attacks" and is on so much medication now that he can only mumble. It is really sad.

Another person tried to take everything I had from me. Three years later, he died from colon cancer.

A very horrible attorney made her living by breaking up families (my attorney knew her reputation for this, it was well known). She went after our family and destroyed a relationship, then she found that her own son had brain cancer, and then she lost her husband to an illnesss - and so lost her own family. I saw in the paper that she died about 3 years later.

I never did anything to any of these people. And I never responded with evil to their evil, I just left, or avoided them entirely.

I believe that when you don't return evil for evil, there is some sort of "imbalance" that God sorts out. God's judgment is a terrible thing.

I have also seen people sin against me, and apparently later they "repent" and change their ways, and God deals with them fairly, and there is no real "retribution" by God against them. i am very happy when I see this. But I still avoid them.

God is dealing with all of us, and sometimes we sin against others too. But when we refuse to respond to evil with more evil, it makes a powerful witness for God, and eliminates the escalation of retribution, or "feuds" between people that many non-Christians have to endure.

Have you ever looked at people that have wronged you, and found out that their "latter end" was not positive? Have you ever seen the promise of Psalms 37 in action? Here is the promise:
Psalms 37:(7) Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

(8) Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.

(9) For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.

(10) For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

(11) But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
Have you ever seen this promise in action?
2 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Psalms 37 - Three Years Later

Post by MaxPC »

JohnHurt wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:38 am
Have you ever looked at people that have wronged you, and found out that their "latter end" was not positive? Have you ever seen the promise of Psalms 37 in action? Here is the promise:
Psalms 37:(7) Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

Age 94 and indeed, I have seen the decimation of evil plans; manipulative men; and devastation of destructive behaviors. It may happen overnight or it may take decades, even centuries. God is not bound by our sense of time and the greatest obstacle for many of His followers is realising this simple aspect. Humans are an impatient lot to be sure.

God's plans are perfection and the Bible is replete with reminders of this fact. The older I get, the more I have learned to simply trust His Will:
Psalm 32:8
Psalm 37:23-24
Psalm 40:5
Psalm 139:14
Psalm 139:16
Psalm 138:8
Proverbs 16:9
Proverbs 19:21
Proverbs 23:18
Isaiah 14:24
Isaiah 41:10
Isaiah 41:13
Jeremiah 29:11
Romans 8:28
1 Corinthians 2:9
Ephesians 2:10
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Yes, I have. But I think we need to use caution that we do not fall into a trap of "keeping score" so to speak.
3 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:12 am
Yes, I have. But I think we need to use caution that we do not fall into a trap of "keeping score" so to speak.
I agree 100%, I have seen this as well. However when we see bad things befall people who have hurt us in the past, we need to use caution and not point an accusing finger at them. Because God's ways are not our ways. And we don't always know the reason why bad things happen to people. Only God knows that. Yes, it is true bad things happening can be because of sin, or unwise choices. However Bad things happen to all people, because we live in a fallen world, and not always because they have treated others unkindly.
2 x
JohnHurt

Post by JohnHurt »

Grace wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:38 am
I agree 100%, I have seen this as well. However when we see bad things befall people who have hurt us in the past, we need to use caution and not point an accusing finger at them. Because God's ways are not our ways. And we don't always know the reason why bad things happen to people. Only God knows that. Yes, it is true bad things happening can be because of sin, or unwise choices. However Bad things happen to all people, because we live in a fallen world, and not always because they have treated others unkindly.
The best advice I get from Psalms 37 is to not retaliate against someone who wrongs us, and to let God handle it.

Sometimes we do not know the entire story - from their side - as for the reasons for their actions.

Sometimes we are "just wrong" ourselves about what happened, and need to let God judge the situation.

But if we can "hold back" and not retaliate, then Psalms 37 makes these promises to us:
(16) A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many wicked.

(23) The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

(24) Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

(25) I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.
For the wicked, God also has His Promise:
(12) The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his teeth.

(13) The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.

(14) The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be of upright conversation.

(15) Their sword shall enter into their own heart, and their bows shall be broken.

(20) But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.

(21) The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth.

(32) The wicked watcheth the righteous, and seeketh to slay him.

(33) The LORD will not leave him in his hand, nor condemn him when he is judged.

(34) Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.

(35) I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.

(36) Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.

(37) Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.

(38) But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off.

(39) But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD: he is their strength in the time of trouble.

(40) And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.
Psalms 37 can make you feel sorry for the wicked, but it should give the righteous great comfort that God watches over us. And Psalms 37 removes any need for retribution by the righteous individual against the wicked.

Christ also told us not to do evil to our enemies, but to pray for them:
Matthew 5:(38) Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

(39) But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

(40) And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.

(41) And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

(42) Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

(43) Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

(44) But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

(45) That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

(46) For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

(47) And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

(48) Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
To me, that is one of the hardest commandments that Christ has given, but it is probably the most beneficial.
1 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Indeed and amen.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

If multiple people are mean to me, it makes me wonder about two things.
1. Is there something I’m doing that I shouldn’t?
2. Are these people just mean, and are mean to everyone?

Very seldom does someone (personally I can’t think of even one instance off the top of my head) just be mean to me without number 1 or number 2 being the case. Hardly does someone just be that way to only me for no reason.

So if we find ourselves in situation number 1, is God going to punish the other person? Who is to say that God isn’t using that person to get me to change? God is punishing me for my orneriness.

And if the situation is number 2, then how can I assume that I am the main character at all? Perhaps the evil that befalls that other person, is due to his crankiness towards a hundred other people.
2 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:01 pm If multiple people are mean to me, it makes me wonder about two things.

Very seldom does someone (personally I can’t think of even one instance off the top of my head) just be mean to me without number 1 or number 2 being the case. Hardly does someone just be that way to only me for no reason.

So if we find ourselves in situation number 1, is God going to punish the other person? Who is to say that God isn’t using that person to get me to change? God is punishing me for my orneriness.

And if the situation is number 2, then how can I assume that I am the main character at all? Perhaps the evil that befalls that other person, is due to his crankiness towards a hundred other people.
Agreed. I would like to add an observation: there are an increasing number of mentally and emotionally unstable people on the internet who habitually target others out of a "mean streak" as some relatives call it. Social platforms seem to escalate the number of incidents as well, perhaps due to a certain anonymity that accompanies social media. Often this mean behavior spills into reality and they will mistreat others in person. That in turn is another issue to consider.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
JohnHurt

Post by JohnHurt »

RZehr wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:01 pm If multiple people are mean to me, it makes me wonder about two things.

Here is an interesting verse about the wicked:
Proverbs 4:(16) For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
It is hard for a righteous person to imagine that a wicked person "cannot sleep" unless they have caused injury or some moral calamity to the just, but the Bible confirms this is true.

Christ said this about the wicked who persecute the just:
Matthew 5:(11) Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

(12) Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
The same people that persecuted the prophets will persecute you, but only if you are as righteous as the prophets.

Like the song said "I wonder where the lions are?". Why are Christians not persecuted very much today? I think it is because they are not a real threat to the evil that runs rampant in our culture.

Even Paul said this:
2nd Tim 3:(12) Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
If there is no real persecution by the wicked, then perhaps we are not living "godly" and have not taken a public stand for our faith.

On the other hand, if you are well accepted by the "world system", James said:
James 4:(4) Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
From what I have seen, there are wicked people. And when you stand up for Christ, they will persecute you in some way. And a good Christian minister, who is on fire for Christ and making a difference in the community, he can tell you much more about persecution than I can.

But if you get along well with the world, then you will never be persecuted.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

A couple thoughts -

1) Regarding friendship with the world - Jesus was accused by religious people of being a 'friend of sinners' because He dwelt among them and for example, went to tea with Zacchaeus. Being a friend of the world, as I understand it, is joining in with the world (unsaved people) in how they regard God and His ways. Some regard the verse to 'come out from among them and be ye separate' in a way that isolates them from the world but Jesus did not do this. Jesus was very much involved with sinners of all sorts to bring them the truth and the way. Just saying that we can be removed from the world in the way that the Pharisees were and not in the way that Jesus was.

2) Regarding being persecuted by the world - I believe we can live in what we may think is being godly and draws some form of persecution but do the persecutors persecute us as being a Christ follower or are they persecuting us for our religious ways. Ways that Christ did not teach and demonstrate and cannot be explicitly found in NT scripture. For example, when dressing modestly becomes a unique dress code that causes some Christ followers to be very distinct from other believers. I question that this kind of persecution is the kind that gets great reward in heaven. Am I being persecuted for Christ's sake and the Gospel or persecuted for other reasons. Again, the Pharisees focused much on outward apparel and had little concern for the Salvation of others.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit