Poll: Palestine

General Christian Theology

Choose one (from 1-7) that mostly closely aligns with your thinking... You can also choose #8

1. With the coming of Jesus, the descendants of Abraham no longer have any God-ordained right to Palestine.
44%
2. The Jewish descendants of Abraham have a God-ordained right to live in Palestine.
7%
3. The Jewish descendants of Abraham have a God-ordained right to have a nation in Palestine.
12%
4. The Jewish descendants of Abraham still have a God-ordained right to Palestine, but they should not fight to obtain it or keep it.
7%
5. The non-Jewish or Arab descendants or Ishmaelite descendants of Abraham have a God-ordained right to live in Palestine.
No votes
6. The non-Jewish or Arab descendants or Ishmaelite descendants of Abraham have a God-ordained right to have a nation in Palestine.
No votes
7. The non-Jewish or Arab descendants or Ishmaelite descendants of Abraham still have a God-ordained right to Palestine, but they should not fight to obtain it or keep it.
5%
8. Other
26%

Total votes: 43

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Poll: Palestine

Post by Ernie »

Vote and discuss.

Please keep partisan comments/debates out of this thread - avoid comments that reflect negatively on either right-leaning or left leaning political persuasions. Please keep this thread focused on the topic.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Poll: Palestine

Post by Josh »

#5-#7 is an interesting one; I’m not entirely sure how to interpret the promises God made to Hagar. They aren’t referred to very much in the rest of scripture although there are examples such as “Cast out the bondwoman and her son.”

I have actually heard a preacher use that verse as a justification for why it’s OK to drag Arabs out of their homes and bulldoze them.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I honestly don’t know.
3 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I agree, I don't honestly know.
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i don’t know about poll questions.

no individual, group, or country, has the right to ambush-attack the defenseless and unprepared,
in the past, this was deemed extreme cowardice, even children can understand the concept of shooting fish in a barrel.

these acts should never be tolerated, much less romanticized as glorious, or even justified.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:27 am i don’t know about poll questions.

no individual, group, or country, has the right to ambush-attack the defenseless and unprepared,
in the past, this was deemed extreme cowardice, even children can understand the concept of shooting fish in a barrel.

these acts should never be tolerated, much less romanticized as glorious, or even justified.
This doesn't really have anything to do with the question of divine right to the land. I don't believe in any concept of divine right to land for the Jews or anyone else, since the kingdom of Jesus is not of this world. That doesn't mean attacking innocent people is justified in any way; that is a separate question.
3 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

The earth is the Lord's. He has given us the creation mandate and it is all divinely ours...as his kingdom is come on earth as also in heaven. The worldly nation states with their borders and armies and weapons of the world are outside the rule and reign of Christ...but they will come under his rule and reign.
5 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:38 am
temporal1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:27 am i don’t know about poll questions.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the question of divine right to the land. I don't believe in any concept of divine right to land for the Jews or anyone else, since the kingdom of Jesus is not of this world.

That doesn't mean attacking innocent people is justified in any way; that is a separate question.
Thanks. i agree. too many believe they are justified by divine right. this blurs lines for me.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I've always believed the Jews list their land by Providence of God. Yet what does "forever" mean in the OT? The "world" still refers to that area as "The Holy Land". The OP is a hard question- only a "guess" but there is a right answer to God. Which? There were non-Jewish Christians who are Scripturally speaking "The Israel of God" by faith not heritage. The Jews of course would not see it that way.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I voted "other" because I'm uncomfortable with Divine right language for any nation, including Israel. Even in biblical times the "right" of Jews to the land was mediated by other factors like faithfulness and lack of respect for the weak and powerless.

As far as the escaton and God's plans for Jews, I don't have a lot of certainty except the Righteous Judge will judge righteously and with mercy.
3 x