Which Evangelical Denominations... ???

General Christian Theology
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Which Evangelical Denominations... ???

Post by temporal1 »

i have not attended LCMS / Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, i think they fit the OP description:

Evangelical
Is Lutheran Missouri Synod evangelical?
Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, conservative Lutheran church in the United States, organized in Chicago in 1847 by German immigrants from Saxony (settled in Missouri) and Bavaria (settled in Michigan and Indiana) as the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio, and Other States. C.F.W.

WIM
The Missouri Synod teaches that the ordination of women as clergy is contrary to scripture.

OSAS
Do Lutherans believe in “once saved always saved”? - Quora.
Do Lutherans believe in “once saved always saved”? No. We reject the teaching that believers can never fall from faith ('once saved, always saved') because the Bible says it is possible for believers to fall from faith (1 Corinthians 10:12).

i appreciate the topic.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

I misread the topic. I thought you were looking for evangelical churches that DO ordain women.

I think the majority of churches that call themselves evangelical" do not ordain women. So you're best off looking for those who teach conditional security.

Many Baptist in the south are Armenian.
There are several strands of Free Will Baptists. Some of them might be fundamentalists rather than evangelicals, so you might have luck eventually.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:46 pm I think the majority of churches that call themselves evangelical" do not ordain women.
Really???
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Post by cooper »

Ernie wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:24 am
Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:46 pm I think the majority of churches that call themselves evangelical" do not ordain women.
Really???
Yes, but most evangelicals are not part of denominations. Denominations such as Southern Baptists and networks such as The Gospel Coalition do not ordain women but they believe in "one saved always saved".
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

cooper wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:06 am
Really???
Yes, but most evangelicals are not part of denominations.
I'm talking about Evangelicals with a capital E. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicalism

What percentage of Evangelicals churches are not part of a denomination or organized church network?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:55 am
cooper wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:06 am
Really???
Yes, but most evangelicals are not part of denominations.
I'm talking about Evangelicals with a capital E. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicalism

What percentage of Evangelicals churches are not part of a denomination or organized church network?
That depends on definitions. Most non-denominational churches will actually be part of mission associations and other similar organisations. They usually have oversight from leadership in other non-denominational churches too. Non-denom just usually means a congregational ecclesiology and no large, lumbering denominational apparatus like (not-so-) United Methodists or Episcopalians have.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:04 pm i have not attended LCMS / Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, i think they fit the OP description:

Evangelical
Is Lutheran Missouri Synod evangelical?
Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, conservative Lutheran church in the United States, organized in Chicago in 1847 by German immigrants from Saxony (settled in Missouri) and Bavaria (settled in Michigan and Indiana) as the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio, and Other States. C.F.W.
The German/Lutheran use of the term "evangelical" is not the sense in which Ernie is using it in this thread. See the Wikipedia article linked above for more detail. In that context, it basically means "not Catholic." In recent American usage, it means "not Fundamentalist nor Mainline Protestant."
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

I would describe LCMS and WELS as evangelical, not mainline Protestant (which the ELCA is), roughly analogous to the PCA and OPC (vs the PC(USA)).
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:28 pm I would describe LCMS and WELS as evangelical, not mainline Protestant (which the ELCA is), roughly analogous to the PCA and OPC (vs the PC(USA)).
The Laestadian movement is not OSAS and does not ordain women. If they put on headcoverings and stopped baptizing infants, many of us would be right at home. It is a revivalist Lutheran movement.
0 x
:hug:
Josh

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:17 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:28 pm I would describe LCMS and WELS as evangelical, not mainline Protestant (which the ELCA is), roughly analogous to the PCA and OPC (vs the PC(USA)).
The Laestadian movement is not OSAS and does not ordain women. If they put on headcoverings and stopped baptizing infants, many of us would be right at home. It is a revivalist Lutheran movement.
Yes, although they’re relatively small. LCMS is huge. Although I wouldn’t feel right at home with that enthusiastic of an embrace of Luther.

I’m surprised I can’t think of other evangelical denominations that don’t ordain women + are not somewhat Reformed.
0 x