Which Evangelical Denominations... ???

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Which Evangelical Denominations... ???

Post by Ernie »

Which Evangelical Denominations do not ordain women pastors and are not known to teach "once saved always saved"?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Which Evangelical Denominations... ???

Post by ohio jones »

Here's a list of Evangelical Arminian denominations:
http://evangelicalarminians.org/arminian-denominations/

If you can find a similar list of complementarian denominations and see where they intersect, that would give you an answer. But as a broad brush start, probably scratch the Methodist, Holiness, and Pentecostal categories off of Olson's list.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:36 amBut as a broad brush start, probably scratch the Methodist, Holiness, and Pentecostal categories off of Olson's list.
Many Methodist/Wesleyan churches ordain women. They might be considered "mainline" instead of "Evangelical" though.

In fact, I can't think of many denominations that ordain women but are considered evangalical.

Try the Evangelical Free Church or the Evangelical Covenant Church. Both of these denominations have a great deal of variety and differences built into their denominational structure. On the other hand, this might make it harder for you to find a church within that denomination which believes and practices what you're looking for. I attended an E Free church for a while and they were super Reformed and would definitely not ordain women (although women served and led church subcommittees, etc.)

EDIT: Turns out the E Free church doesn't ordain women, but I think the E Covenant church does. This channel (Ready to Harvest) is a GREAT resource on all things "Christian Denominations" by the way:
0 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Here is a longer video on the Evangelical Covenant Church.

They just don't take a hard line on Calvinist/Armenian positions. So you'd have to inquire at the specific congregation if you want a church that DEFINITELY won't teach eternal security.

I know about the E Covenant church mostly because I became interested in the Jesus People intentional Christian community in Chicago, IL. This is their denomination, or the denomination they joined.

I am really interested in their outreach to the LGBT+ community. They have a lot of desire to nurture people who feel drawn to that way of life, but they start with a firm stance that "The Christian ideal is celibacy outside of marriage or faithfulness in a marriage between one man and one woman".
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

P+D,

Those churches both promote once-saved-always-saved. Off the top of my head the evangelical denomination that meets Ernie’s criteria is the CMC/RNoC.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Describe acronyms? (once should do it) :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:00 am Describe acronyms? (once should do it) :)
Should, but ...
Anabaptist Acronyms
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

SO many churches that would be considered Evangelical are "non" denomination.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:39 pm Which Evangelical Denominations do not ordain women pastors and are not known to teach "once saved always saved"?
Well, I would have said The Christian and Missionary Alliance" but effective the last general council, they permit women to be pastors. TECHNICALLY they do not "Ordain" women they "Consecrate " them, but effectively it is the same.
0 x
:hug:
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

We got one answer so far. Evangelical Free Church

Any others?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"